Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,206 Posts
Long Travel and fiber glass fenders - make it a pre runner!

In all honestly, what do you do with the FJ, what do you want to do, how do want it to look?

Many questions to answer, once you know them it makes it a lot easier to plan your mods.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I plan carrying kayaks and going down trails and camping I'm not planning on mudding. Im just planning on going on little adventures.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I would get better tread. I drive one of these for my job (4x4 part time = 4x2) off road and most of the time it gets through some really rough stuff in 4x2. I think its only barrier will be if you are going up hill and when the back end digs in and you lose grip. Other than that, you can do quite a bit with the 4x2 with some good tires on it.

·
A-Team Moderator
10,338 Posts
Scrape that used car decal off the back glass for one. :lol:

Kayaks = Roof rack upgrade.

LED Lighting

Black Out the silver parts

Storage box/sleeping platform, use the Search, we have loads of info on all this. random forum pics...

Welcome & Have fun! :cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
It depends a lot on your terrain.
I have a 4x4 but knowing what I know now I would not hesitate to put a lift and real offroad tires on a 4x2. Why? All the time I find myself on some serious terrain and realizing I haven't even shifted into 4H yet. When it comes to getting cool places the biggest barriers in my neck of the woods are the ground clearance and the damage rocks do to street tires. Hence what I said about knowing your terrain. Take it out a few times to the cool sort of places you are planning to go, If you find yourself skirting mud, or rolling over pointy rocks, the consider tires and lift mods.
If you are on dirt at night, some extra lights could be handy. big full size light bars might be over kill but some extra offroad lighting might be nice. Again, use it for a while and see that meets your needs.

I would start by focusing on storage and gear. Everything from Kayak racks to just some Rubbermaid tubs or something. Just start loading it for adventure and seeing how well it all fits.

Oh... and before you do ANYTHING get that stock radio out and throw it in the trash. An aftermarket stereo is a must.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would get better tread. I drive one of these for my job (4x4 part time = 4x2) off road and most of the time it gets through some really rough stuff in 4x2. I think its only barrier will be if you are going up hill and when the back end digs in and you lose grip. Other than that, you can do quite a bit with the 4x2 with some good tires on it.
What he said! Some good tires make it so you hardly ever need 4x4.

·
A-Team Moderator
10,338 Posts
:grin

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
hu3.jpeg. I recommend not jumping into any mods. Take your time and most importantly, Create a Written List, of all mods you're interested in, now and in the future. Investigate to determine that all desired modification and components will be compatible with each other. Research and source suppliers. Once you finalize a detailed Written Project Work Sheet, you'll be able to modify your vehicle correctly the first time around.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Take your time and plan out your build first, otherwise you'll just find yourself spending more money to redo mods. On a similar note it's always better to wait a bit longer and save up more for what you really want than to go the cheap route just to get something done right away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Totally with the stock radio! I just got one of the new Pioneer stereos with Apple Carplay and a USB charger/connector below... It's excellent. Really brings my 2008 FJ into the 2018 era haha. Great mod advice!

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
I diid the Summit in a 4x2. I put on 33 tires, 5100s in the front, and rock sliders. Also, that was the first time I had ever gone off road.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts