Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year Sandabbe and I had to give up our plans to be at the summit due mostly to Sands' new job (and a lack of funds). The total plan was to leave here early and go to New Mexico and see Sand's dad, brother and sister, then go to the summit, after that on to Northern Idaho. Well Sand couldn't get THAT much time off from her new job, so, on to Northern Idaho only. Its been almost two years that we bought a little over two acres of trees, and we haven't been back. So off we went!
We knew we might see some summiteers on the road as we were heading up.
Wait! Coming up from behind, I see a Ti Fj, lifted, Demello bumper, big tires...He's coming up along side, He's showing me his C.B. DANG IT!!!!! I don't have mine hooked up!!!! Wait! he's getting off for gas! Sand, should we get off too??? "I guess" OK!!! This was just outside of Barstow.

THIS is who was in the Ti fj!
[/IMG]
therelaxer and mrs.relaxer!!!!
So I hooked up the C.B. and off we went!
[/IMG]
This was the view we had all the way to the Zion turn off in Utah.
[/IMG]
Here we are heading into a huge gorge all the while chatting on the C.B. with each other. We stopped in Las Vegas for lunch, and after getting lost for a little while(I was in the lead)we ended up at In&out!

Once Ken and Mollie(they had a very interesting meeting story) turned off to go to Zion the road was quiet. So we made our way up to Brigham city north of Salt Lake and found a room.
[/IMG]
This is a nice little sleepy town with nice people.(Unlike Salt Lake city)

On we go! Next stop was in Montana for lunch. We stopped in at a little dinner, parked Nala, and went in. About 10 min. later one trooper showed up, then another, then another, then another! They had Nala surrounded!
[/IMG]
Even though she didn't do anything, Nala looks nervous!!!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
This year Sandabbe and I had to give up our plans to be at the summit due mostly to Sands' new job (and a lack of funds). The total plan was to leave here early and go to New Mexico and see Sand's dad, brother and sister, then go to the summit, after that on to Northern Idaho. Well Sand couldn't get THAT much time off from her new job, so, on to Northern Idaho only. Its been almost two years that we bought a little over two acres of trees, and we haven't been back. So off we went!
We knew we might see some summiteers on the road as we were heading up.
Wait! Coming up from behind, I see a Ti Fj, lifted, Demello bumper, big tires...He's coming up along side, He's showing me his C.B. DANG IT!!!!! I don't have mine hooked up!!!! Wait! he's getting off for gas! Sand, should we get off too??? "I guess" OK!!! This was just outside of Barstow.

THIS is who was in the Ti fj!
[/IMG]
therelaxer and mrs.relaxer!!!!
So I hooked up the C.B. and off we went!
[/IMG]
This was the view we had all the way to the Zion turn off in Utah.
[/IMG]
Here we are heading into a huge gorge all the while chatting on the C.B. with each other. We stopped in Las Vegas for lunch, and after getting lost for a little while(I was in the lead)we ended up at In&out!

Once Ken and Mollie(they had a very interesting meeting story) turned off to go to Zion the road was quiet. So we made our way up to Brigham city north of Salt Lake and found a room.
[/IMG]
This is a nice little sleepy town with nice people.(Unlike Salt Lake city)

On we go! Next stop was in Montana for lunch. We stopped in at a little dinner, parked Nala, and went in. About 10 min. later one trooper showed up, then another, then another, then another! They had Nala surrounded!
[/IMG]
Even though she didn't do anything, Nala looks nervous!!!
Funny!! Looks like a fun trip anymore more pics?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well not much happened between the Dinner and Northern Idaho. It was funny, While between Missoula Mn. and Kellogg Id. Sand abbe and I had similar feelings. I had a huge feeling of "this is where I belong" and Sand had a big feeling of "were heading home". Neither one of us said anything to the other until we were at our campground that night. When we talked about it we were blown away! Some pic's of the campground......

[/IMG]
Ok so I only had ONE! sorry. But if you ever find yourself in Moyie Springs Idaho look up the twin rivers R.V. resort! Hot showers(Free), laundry machines(not free)and tent sites that are very nice along the Moyie river. On the other side of the camp ground is the Koottenai river. This is where the two join. It's a VERY relaxing place to stay! After three nights at the camp ground we moved our base camp to "The log inn" in Bonners ferry. Sandabbe and I LOVE this place! the rates are reasonable and the rooms are super clean. There is a hot tub on site and cable tv for when you are in the room.

We went to our property every day! I'll just show you pic's with captions now and shut up!

[/IMG]
Nala checking out her future den!

[/IMG]
Sand and Nala having a chat about it.

[/IMG]
She seemed to love it here!

[/IMG]
We took a drive about a mile up the road from the property and parked here.

[/IMG]
To look at this! Town is WAY off in the distance!(7 miles)

[/IMG]
Going up the road a little more.

[/IMG]
We came across THIS sign! I don't think they can read! We just may have these guy's on the property from time to time!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Great pics....sounds like a wonderful trip......glad the bears didn't bother you....there was a bear attack recently in Kern county......not a very good outcome too....:bandit:

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Funny you should ask Scott........YES!! Here's more!(with captions only)

[/IMG]
Nala looking for wildlife at the refuge(Kootenai)

[/IMG]
She saw some!

[/IMG]
The view she had. Our property is to the left of the photo up in the mountains.:)

[/IMG]
This is what is in the middle of the village at Schweitzer ski resort.

[/IMG]
And THIS is what they use to get around the resort!!

[/IMG]
The border into Canada.

[/IMG]
Nala had to pull around to the back and wait for her owners to be cleared for entry.

[/IMG]
Nala liked Canada! she got a lot of looks and felt like a rock star! One guy even told her she looked nice!

[/IMG]
Back in the States, she looked down on her future kingdom!

[/IMG]
Nala watches while Wrigman cuts down some bushes from the driveway.

[/IMG]
After cutting, Wrigman takes a well deserved rest. Nala stands guard in the background.

[/IMG]
One day, a home right here with a three car garage and a small shop.

One more story then I'll stop.
I have a small logging road on the property that goes down into a gully. I took a stroll down the overgrown road to discover that a tree fell blocking the road. I thought...No big deal, I'll bring nala down and mash down the overgrown weeds at the front of the trail and move the tree with Nala's winch! Not looking at the SILT under my feet! I got down to the tree, hooked up the winch, pulled on the tree only to find that it was wedged between two trees on one side. So, just get in Nala and back her up the road(Uphill,no not Larry, but UP HILL!!) She went right down to the rear diff!! NOW I HAD to get this tree out of the way!! :thinkerg:Out came the HATCHET out of the recovery bag!(Note: a HATCHET, NOT AN AX!!) I cut two places on the tree about 3/4 of the way through and winched the rest to snap the tree to make a path through to the bottom of the road. After about an hour we were down to the bottom! Only to get STUCK once more!!:flame:
Out came the winch once more! With Sandabbe at the wheel and I at the winch we had to use about five trees(Good thing they are mine and not BLM trees)to get Nala out! It took about 45min. to get back to level ground!!
Oh well! It was ALL a GREAT adventure!!!:king:

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Scott. that looks like quite a piece of property. Congratulations. :) Nice photos and story too!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great pics....sounds like a wonderful trip......glad the bears didn't bother you....there was a bear attack recently in Kern county......not a very good outcome too....:bandit:
I saw that when we got back. Scarry!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any more property for sale up there? Man, that looks awesome!! Great pics, and a very nice thread too Scott.
Lot's more! PM me I'll give you someone to talk to about land.

P.S. thirty miles south of Bonner's, a town called Sandpoint has the nick name"Blue heaven" because of all the retired So. Cal. police officers living in town!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Absolutely beautiful! Glad to see and hear and that you had such a good time!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Scott. that looks like quite a piece of property. Congratulations. :) Nice photos and story too!
Thanks Tony! We almost didn't come home this time!:lol:

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Absolutely beautiful! Glad to see and hear and that you had such a good time!
Thanks!
Did you make it to the Summit??? I hope so! looks like everyone had a great time!
We are putting it down for next year as a MUST DO trip!!!

·
Registered
458 Posts
How did you come up with the name "Nala" for your rig? Isn't Nala some kind of Hindi God or something along those lines?

Our son likes to call our FJ "blue too". I guess I need to come up with something better than that.

BTW, looks like a great trip. Makes me want to take another road trip myself!!

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Can ya tell us the part about the three car garage and small shop again......I REALLY like that part.....lol.....

Awesome country you chose put roots down in ....fur shur

·
Premium Member
13,655 Posts
Creston is a great place to visit! Hope Nala enjoyed Canada!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How did you come up with the name "Nala" for your rig? Isn't Nala some kind of Hindi God or something along those lines?

Our son likes to call our FJ "blue too". I guess I need to come up with something better than that.

BTW, looks like a great trip. Makes me want to take another road trip myself!!
A coworker of mine told me that the FJ looked like a lion ready to pounce on something! We had to come up with a female name for the FJ, one of a female lion. Nala was the Lion king's girlfriend. The name was clear!
Blue too. I like that one!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Can ya tell us the part about the three car garage and small shop again......I REALLY like that part.....lol.....

Awesome country you chose put roots down in ....fur shur
If I have MY way the garage and shop will be BIGGER than the house!:lol:

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Great pics. I was looking for Nala in all of the Summit pics. Now I know why I did not see you in the pics.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts