Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 I bought new. Wife and kids have put almost 200k on it. It literally have given zero issues. Everything on it is Original but engine oil, tires, battery, tires brakes and air filter.
so now it has come back to me... I am thinking I will make it my daily driver... here are the obvious issues it has. roaring noise. Can’t tell if it is the rear end or front end. Wheel bearings or CV joints. The roaring stops when turning left... odd. Makes me think wheel bearing. But which one? Front or rear?
I am thinking with 200k miles I should change all the fluids. Brake, transfer, transmission, coolant and rear diff.
what else should I be looking at? Belts, timing (does it have belts or chains). Anything else?
what typically wears out on these...

Greg

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Are you saying that after 9 years and 200K miles the following have NEVER been serviced??

1. Differential lube replaced (both front and rear diffs);
2. Transmission fluid (pan drained & refilled several times, or entire transmission flushed);
3. Transfer case lube replaced;
4. Engine coolant flushed;
5. Brake fluid flushed;
6. Power steering fluid flushed;
7. All four exhaust system sensors (two air-fuel, two oxygen) are certainly dead or marginal at 200K miles; replacing them will improve fuel economy and should improve driveability.
8. Clean MAF sensor in intake tract;
9. Serpentine belt replaced;
10. Alternator brushes replaced IF the rest of the alternator is still serviceable
11. Starter may be approaching EOL, depending on how many daily starts are typical.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Extensive list from FJtest above, but ill also throw in that the original spark plugs on the 07-09 models are at 30K mile service intervals. Might have a heck of a gap by now at 200K miles.

In addition, there are 6 or 7 lube points on front and rear driveshaft that need regular servicing. If those things have never been greased, there may be some real issues with the u joints by 200K miles.

Also when replacing serpentine belt, check all the pulleys and tensioner pulley too (4 of them). They are likely on their last legs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you saying that after 9 years and 200K miles the following have NEVER been serviced??

1. Differential lube replaced (both front and rear diffs);
2. Transmission fluid (pan drained & refilled several times, or entire transmission flushed);
3. Transfer case lube replaced;
4. Engine coolant flushed;
5. Brake fluid flushed;
6. Power steering fluid flushed;
7. All four exhaust system sensors (two air-fuel, two oxygen) are certainly dead or marginal at 200K miles; replacing them will improve fuel economy and should improve driveability.
8. Clean MAF sensor in intake tract;
9. Serpentine belt replaced;
10. Alternator brushes replaced IF the rest of the alternator is still serviceable
11. Starter may be approaching EOL, depending on how many daily starts are typical.
yep... that’s pretty much accurate. I gave the vehicle to my daughter 300 miles away for 6 years.
sounds like I have a long list to work on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm going to add in new shocks and replacing the fuel pump and filter inside the tank before you are stranded somewhere. At 200K I'm going to say you've exceeded the life span of that pump.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2009 I bought new. Wife and kids have put almost 200k on it. It literally have given zero issues. Everything on it is Original but engine oil, tires, battery, tires brakes and air filter.
so now it has come back to me... I am thinking I will make it my daily driver... here are the obvious issues it has. roaring noise. Can’t tell if it is the rear end or front end. Wheel bearings or CV joints. The roaring stops when turning left... odd. Makes me think wheel bearing. But which one? Front or rear?
I am thinking with 200k miles I should change all the fluids. Brake, transfer, transmission, coolant and rear diff.
what else should I be looking at? Belts, timing (does it have belts or chains). Anything else?
what typically wears out on these...

Greg
Greg, no mention of what part of the country or world where you live. Here in Western PA where we have snow, ice, salt and road brine, rust is an important issue.My 2008 which has only around 68,000 miles has several issues I have addressed. The original engine rock shield started to rust very bad and I removed it welded up the holes and recoated. The back inner bumper under the plastic bumper gets a lot of rust - I removed the plastic bumper, removed the rust, repainted and treated the interior of that bumper. I also rust treaded and repanted much of the underside - although the frame itself seems to hold up well. The u joint on the steering wheel shaft can rust up and all of a sudden you can not turn the steering wheel. This did not happen to me but a friend - I lubricated my joint through the rubber shield trying to avoid this problem. Also my wheels started to corrode and I removed them and had them sandblasted and powder coated to match the color of the FJ. Good luck with your FJ

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am in Georgia. Not much ice and snow... body is solid and really the thing runs and drives great. The only issue is the wheel bearinns and I am replacing those tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
based on your responses, the items that I would be most concerned about would be the transmission and whether you are experiencing any shudder issues and within the engine as to whether there is any sludge. Doesnt really sound like it was well take care of (but you did mention oil changes). Two very expensive problems can be encountered due to lack of maintenance. Once is timing chain stretch due to oil sludging -- which is a very expensive repair if not having to replace the engine. The transmission shudder can sometimes lead to having to replace the transmission.

Before dropping a bunch of cash on this vehicle with 200K, I would evaluate both of these conditions before proceeding.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am not having any symptoms or issues with engine or transmission. Runs great, shifts great. I replaced front wheel bearings and CV axles yesterday and that fixed the roaring noise.

Wouldn’t it throw a code if O2 sensors were bad?

Going to do the fluid changes but the front diff oil looked good when I changed CV axles out.

Checked u joints and they were all good as was slip yoke.

Greg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
based on your responses, the items that I would be most concerned about would be the transmission and whether you are experiencing any shudder issues and within the engine as to whether there is any sludge. Doesnt really sound like it was well take care of (but you did mention oil changes). Two very expensive problems can be encountered due to lack of maintenance. Once is timing chain stretch due to oil sludging -- which is a very expensive repair if not having to replace the engine. The transmission shudder can sometimes lead to having to replace the transmission.

Before dropping a bunch of cash on this vehicle with 200K, I would evaluate both of these conditions before proceeding.
Oil was changed methodically with Mobil one from the start. If engine has sludge it wouldn’t be from lack of oil changes. If timing chain was stretched wouldn’t it run poorly?

Run great it all rpm ranges.

Greg

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Oil was changed methodically with Mobil one from the start. If engine has sludge it wouldn’t be from lack of oil changes. If timing chain was stretched wouldn’t it run poorly?

Run great it all rpm ranges.

Greg
It's good that oil was changed regularly. Seems like sludge wouldnt be a problem on this vehicle. From your description about the lack of maintenance, I just figured that might be an issue to rule out before spending big dollars. Sounds like you have. Sometimes it will run poorly, but not always. Usually you will get check engine lights with appropriate codes indicating a problem.

See this recent thread:

Also great to hear that no issues with transmission and shifting. If you are at 200k miles and the transmission fluid has never been changed, I would be addressing that. Probably start with a pan drain/fill and do several of those over the next couple months.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts