Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, couple questions...
First of i plan on running 4 HID offroad lights on my prerunner bumper and 4 Hid lights on a baja light bar on my roof rack.

Should i run all four on my roof rack as driving pattern and then the 2 middle(inside) lights on my bumper as driving pattern and the 2 outside lights on my bumper as a fog pattern? Is this the most effective way?

Also is there any way to lock these lights to prevent theft?

Will i need another battery installed to support the power?

Thanks in advance and all feedback is welcomed! :cheers:

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
You describe the exact way I run my lights...Four up top PIAA 540's running Two on my bumper between my regular headlights running and two fogs below.They do use alot of energy and I went with a large deep cycle battery. someday when the alternator goes I can replace with a higher amp out put from now 90 amp to 140 amp...The bigger battery is a must have...and I have other mods that drain the juice also...but the lights are by far the biggest draw.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will fog lights be too high on my bumper? Also what kinda battery setup will i need?

·
Registered
952 Posts
Sometimes less is more.
Not sure what your application is intended for (night runs offroad).
I have found that the 2 Lightforce that I have on my front bumper are more than adequate. Adjustable (beam pattern and filters).
Although I have a dual battery set- up (more for redundancy) - regular single battery would be fine.
In terms of security - IIRC Lightforce has locking nuts

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
The factory fj battery is pretty big and the alternator is rated at 140 amps if I remember correctly. CruiserLarry from dirty parts has the numbers.
If your going to buy 8 lights why not consider an LED light bar? 1 40" bar provides more then enough light plus they have less wind drag..

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The factory fj battery is pretty big and the alternator is rated at 140 amps if I remember correctly. CruiserLarry from dirty parts has the numbers.
If your going to buy 8 lights why not consider an LED light bar? 1 40" bar provides more then enough light plus they have less wind drag..
I have, but they are super expensive. That will only allow me for 1 up top on the rack for the amount i would spend on 8 on top and bottom. Plus, dont like the look of them.

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
I have, but they are super expensive. That will only allow me for 1 up top on the rack for the amount i would spend on 8 on top and bottom. Plus, dont like the look of them.
I only paid $900 for my 40" ridged
I originally considered going with 5 7" light on the roof and 3 on front bumper. All cheap kragen HID lights and after pricing it all out including wiring switches and relays, I was better off going with LED. I didn't like them at first either but after using it my mind was changed.

Lights are a big expense so whatever you get I recommend buying quality lights

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Ok, couple questions...
First of i plan on running 4 HID offroad lights on my prerunner bumper and 4 Hid lights on a baja light bar on my roof rack.

Should i run all four on my roof rack as driving pattern and then the 2 middle(inside) lights on my bumper as driving pattern and the 2 outside lights on my bumper as a fog pattern? Is this the most effective way?

Also is there any way to lock these lights to prevent theft?

Will i need another battery installed to support the power?

Thanks in advance and all feedback is welcomed! :cheers:
First, 8 lights, in addition to stock, is a lot. I would highly recommend doing 4 on the bumper first and evaluating how that suits your needs. Especially going with HIDs.

You want to run pencil beam patterns on the roof shooting straight ahead, in general. Especially if you are running more lights on the bumper.
Driving pattern down low, pencil beams up high shooting forward. And if you wanted lights to shine to the sides at an angle, then i would consider driving patterns on the roof on the outside edge, facing out slightly.

Barri-nuts are locking style nuts. Sort of like locking lug nuts, they require a special key in order to remove them, that is, assuming what they are mounted to (bumper, lightbar, etc) is also not easily removed. I have them on my LightForce 240s. They aren't cheap either. :( I think mine were like 30 bucks for 2 and the key.

HIDs draw much less current than their halogen counterparts. It also depends on how often you plan to use them, for how long, and what other accessories are you using.

If you plan on doing long nights with these things on, possibly using a winch, have an aftermarket stereo setup, running a fridge, etc. then i'd recommend at least upgrading the stock battery. I would get a Diehard Platinum. These are Odyssey batteries rebadged as Diehards. They run around 200 or so, ~100 cheaper than their Odyssey twin. I am running a Diehard Platinum marine and Optima Yellow top in my Land Cruiser.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I run two fog lights on my bumper and have them angle out the the edges so they give me good lighting for my peripherals and then I run four driving pattern lights on my light rack that are aimed pretty far down the road to show me what is coming at me.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Here is what I run:

My opinion is the top four lights were a complete waste of money. They can only be used for a very wide pattern to the side as the bumper lights wash them out so to speak. Far as the lights facing forward, the bumper lights and after market bulbs in the head lights were all I needed.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I've got three Hella Rally's on my front bumper, they put out great light, but I would recommend two driving lights in the middle and two floods on the outside, that way you can see down the trails, and to your peripherals. Depending on what your application is, you may not even need the 4 up top as previously mentioned, as they tend to get washed out if you go with the same type of beam.

I'm thinking about getting one more Rally pencil beam and mounting all four on the roof (wondering if they would fit in the Ricochet light bar?? Anyone?) and adding two Lightforce driving lights to the bumper.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the feedback! I may consider going back to stock headlights and just get halogen offroad lights if it's really that much cheaper.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Great info thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts