Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
I have no idea and don't understand why this would be sensible for a off-road vehicle. Rough ride, not practical, not as functional. Since it doesn't make sense to me. I don't see this as cool either.
But hey to each his own. Some people like it.
You may want to check with the wheel manufacturer to see what the backspace is. It looks like a wide rim, you may have some chopping to do
thanks
Don

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wikid, please explain. I always appreciate input. I see that most people here have 3-6" lifts and wider backspacing. Is this much more than normal? It didn't look much more severe than the other forum members, but I would love more details from you.
Rob

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have no idea and don't understand why this would be sensible for a off-road vehicle. Rough ride, not practical, not as functional. Since it doesn't make sense to me. I don't see this as cool either.
But hey to each his own. Some people like it.
You may want to check with the wheel manufacturer to see what the backspace is. It looks like a wide rim, you may have some chopping to do
thanks
Don
Wikid, what offset and backspacing are you running on the white FJ?

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
Wikid, please explain. I always appreciate input. I see that most people here have 3-6" lifts and wider backspacing. Is this much more than normal? It didn't look much more severe than the other forum members, but I would love more details from you.
Rob
I missed this post in my last reply
I think the point is the rim size
It just doesn't fit with off-roading
20 " rims are more for a street cruiser and don't work as well for typical off road
3 in lifts are most common and really what is the most trouble free as lifts would go . Backspace affects your turning radius and the clearance to the upper control arms, calipers etc.
More backspace=less clearance inside
Less backspace = more clearance inside and more affect on the turning radius
Less backspace can be related to wider stance

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
I actually have created less backspace because I am running 1.25 In spydertrax spacers. To give my fender flares a more full look . I began to rub again once I added the spacers and had to do a more aggressive body mount chop.
Everything has a cost. You change one thing and it affects others
thanks
Don

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
It seems like you are looking for some help with what makes sense for mods you want to do .
The reason I am running 16" rims versus 17" factory size or bigger is. The more rubber you have the more cushion there is when off-roading. It also helps for grip. when you air your tires down, there is more rubber to wrap around a rock . When in sand, you can air down to make your tires have a bigger foot print, so it doesn't sink or dig in. More traction with all of the surface spread out.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Wikid. I agree with everything you said functionality wise. I do like the 6" look a little more visually.
I think I may go 6" with 18" rims, 35" tires. That may provide a little more rubber(air) for a softer ride. I'm still up in the air quite a bit. Don't want to have to this this more than once!
Thanks for that link SKINUM. 20k!?! That was a great deal IMO. Bought my 2010 for 33k OTD!

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Trail Teams Special Edition FJ Cruiser
2,470 Posts
if you like the 'look' of a 6", you can achieve that look with a 3" lift. I know many people running 35" tires on a nice 3" lift. What makes it 'look' like a 6" is that they install Bushwhacker fender flares or remove the stock fender flares entirely. It always makes me do a double take when I park next to them. Looks like it is so much higher, when infact it is just more visible space between the tire and the fender edge.

And with a 3", like Wikid said, less issues, no big differential drop bracket (that loses that clearance you want with a lift), and just as functional as any 6" lift on any obsticles I have ever seen both take....possibly more functional being a lower center of gravity.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
if you like the 'look' of a 6", you can achieve that look with a 3" lift. I know many people running 35" tires on a nice 3" lift. What makes it 'look' like a 6" is that they install Bushwhacker fender flares or remove the stock fender flares entirely. It always makes me do a double take when I park next to them. Looks like it is so much higher, when infact it is just more visible space between the tire and the fender edge.

And with a 3", like Wikid said, less issues, no big differential drop bracket (that loses that clearance you want with a lift), and just as functional as any 6" lift on any obsticles I have ever seen both take....possibly more functional being a lower center of gravity.

Just my 2 cents.
BC, Thanks for all of your input. All is welcome and appreciated.
So, do I actually get less clearance with a 6" lift because of the differential drop bracket? This is very important information! Please get back to me ASAP with that.
I actually do not like the flares and the non-fender look. You are definitely steering me towards a 3" OME lift and 33" tires.

-Rob

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Trail Teams Special Edition FJ Cruiser
2,470 Posts
You will gain more fenderwell clearance with a 6" and more on the belly, but...you're rear axle will be just the same (per the tire size) and you will have a diff drop bracket on the front...so no more clearance on the front than with a 3" lift and no diff drop bracket. Maybe a tad...but not 6" versus 3" of clearance.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You will gain more fenderwell clearance with a 6" and more on the belly, but...you're rear axle will be just the same (per the tire size) and you will have a diff drop bracket on the front...so no more clearance on the front than with a 3" lift and no diff drop bracket. Maybe a tad...but not 6" versus 3" of clearance.
GREAT info!
But... I can easily put 35" tires on a 6" lift, so I would gain 2" there (over 33") as well, correct?
(just checking all the facts. Thank you so much BC)
-Rob

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I running 3" Overland Warehouse/Radflo with a 1" Toytec body lift. Body mount chop and 35" tires with no rub . You will have much less hastle with a 3"
Please explain the 'hastle' you have referred to Wikid. I don't know enough about lift maintenance to have a clue! :)
Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
GREAT info!
But... I can easily put 35" tires on a 6" lift, so I would gain 2" there (over 33") as well, correct?
(just checking all the facts. Thank you so much BC)
-Rob
You do not gain two inches of ground clearance with a tire diameter change of 33->35, you gain 1inch.

And you can run 35s with a 3inch lift. 3inch lifts are much cheaper, can get a LOT better shocks and coils (for the most part, and for cheaper than having custom ones made) for a 3" lift.

I personally don't understand the point of a 6" lift when you can run the same sized tires and your front ground clearance stays the same cause of the huge drop bracket.

Body lifts are cheap. Usually involves just adding a plastic or rubber spacer between the OEM body mounts and the body. Not sure what other modifications might be needed with a 1inch body lift though (like with the radiator, steering shaft, or any hoses/lines.)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts