Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2012 TT, auto, 3” lift, 285/75/16
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

Installed my new ICON front coilovers and when putting my skids back on, noticed oil built up/leaking from this area. I’ve tried to look up diagrams but can’t find it listed. Could y’all tell me what part this is? Any ideas of why it would be leaking?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2012 TT, auto, 3” lift, 285/75/16
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you changed the engine oil before? That would be the engine oil drain plug. That one is not factory. There needs to be a gasket on it. They should only be used a couple times until they start leaking.
Thanks! I get my oil changed at a shop. I’ll ask them about the leaking when I’m next due for a change.

Also, I know you helped me decide to go with the icon coulovers I had purchased. One quick question on install of those. Is there a horizontal bolt that is supposed to go into/across the top mount of the coilover so it doesn’t rotate side to side a bit as you adjust it, or is that side to side movement supposed to be there?

Let me know if you don’t understand my question and I’ll try to explain better.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,046 Posts
Thanks! I get my oil changed at a shop. I’ll ask them about the leaking when I’m next due for a change.

Also, I know you helped me decide to go with the icon coulovers I had purchased. One quick question on install of those. Is there a horizontal bolt that is supposed to go into/across the top mount of the coilover so it doesn’t rotate side to side a bit as you adjust it, or is that side to side movement supposed to be there?

Let me know if you don’t understand my question and I’ll try to explain better.

Thanks!
The top mount of the coilover and bottom mount of the coilover have spherical bearings in them that allow some side to side motion. It's normal.

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
You can replace the drain plug with one of those nifty Fumoto Valves...

I change my oil very frequently through the dipstick channel with a MityVac, and do yearly filter changes and "bottom drains" through the valve.

Reactions: Areyno
1 - 6 of 6 Posts