Registered
2,698 Posts
Re: What parts break the most when 4X4n

your bank account!

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts

...? I haven't seen a winch break on the trails ever. How did you come to the conclusion that it breaks more than anything else?

·
Registered
506 Posts

Rear Diff and Inner fenders!

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Tires, rear diff., inner fenders (front), and all the nay-sayers ba!!s:lol:

I've gone through two tires from cut sidewalls, and have seen three others do the same. Have spare, will travel. Rear diff. is an issue with two much wheel spin w/ simultaneous wheel hop. The diff no likey this combination. My first FJ had fender bulges on both sides up front almost certainly from the large amount of frame twisting I did on a weekly basis. My new FJ has seen maybe 10% as much of that type of activity and no bulges.....yet. :worried:

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
rear diffs, that's all I've broken :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
oh yeah and bent lca's

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thought winch would be in the group just cause when a year ago at the jamboree, recall all the mud? Well the tail end charlie became the lead man, and back up a hill the group went. It would have been easier if his winch worked. He needed it for his land cruiser, it's tires were not aggressive. The FJ's had no problems however to give the land cruiser a little credit here he had no room to build any speed up since he was first in line.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
Yeah that's one of the number one things I check for picking lead and gunner... always gotta an operable winch at both ends :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
Thought winch would be in the group just cause when a year ago at the jamboree, recall all the mud? Well the tail end charlie became the lead man, and back up a hill the group went. It would have been easier if his winch worked. He needed it for his land cruiser, it's tires were not aggressive. The FJ's had no problems however to give the land cruiser a little credit here he had no room to build any speed up since he was first in line.
Yup, do remember the mud, haha. Not so fun.

The problem with his winch i am betting was poor maintenance.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Yeah that's one of the number one things I check for picking lead and gunner... always gotta an operable winch at both ends :bigthumb:
X2 on that.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
I'm surprised no one has said CVs or Tie Rods - I've seen more of those break than Difs or most of the other parts mentioned.
I have broke both CV's...

rear diffs, that's all I've broken :rolleyes:
Can't believe mine is still the original...maybe because I'm aware the gears might be a little to light for bigger tires and I don't get wheel hop with alot of pedal. Slow and steady...

i've seen alot of CV's, alot of tie rods, and a few spindles on FJC's.
I bent my right side spindle...then installed the Fabtech...But it's deffinately wise to get spindle gussets.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Tires and rims can take a beating, sliders get scuffed and scratched as they are meant to if used properly ;) , Paint (you will hear alot about "pinstriping"), not to mention various suspension parts....

But the good news is all this allows for "upgrades"

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
8,287 Posts
I was right behind that guy going up that hill; he eventually made it up. To be fair, an 80-series Land Cruiser is a lot heavier than an FJC. I made it up without winching on my second try (in a much-lighter 40-series).

1 - 20 of 35 Posts