Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know what percentage of the Summit proceeds are being donated to organizations like the Blue Ribbon Coalition to keep our trails open?

We are losing more and more trails everyday and it's imperative that we (all of us) support the organizations that work to keep our sport alive. While I don't have visibility into what is required to throw and event like this, I can only assume that based on the costs for participants and vendors that there will be some level of surplus funding after all is said and done. I personally think it would be a wonderful gesture for the Summit Org to mail a check and a letter to the BRC or whatever organization they deem appropriate.

·
Registered
839 Posts
My assumption is that any profit from the summit is divided up between the guys that set up and run the summit. So wouldn't that be the same as asking them to personally donate?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Wether or not funds are earmarked for this purpose (if anything is left over after all the expense of putting on an event of this magnitude) the point has been made, and a fund should be organized.

A collection can at regiatration is absolutely a MUST! Many large event groups set up a Mud fund or a trail use fund and we should do it also. Put me down for $10 bucks, and I challenge all those going to the Summit to do the same!

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
The funds are spread out to many charitable organizations and I believe that is one of them. The summit organizers make no money off of this!

The town of Ouray was very greatful for everything that the Summit did for them...and we have the summit organizers to thank for that! They do a great job!:clap::clap:

·
Registered
839 Posts
It is my understanding that they dont make a penny off organizing the summit.
Then I think there needs to be an 'about us' or something similar to that effect in FJSummit 2008 National Meet that states that fact. I admit to not being the brightest person around so maybe I was the only one who didn't know that the fjsummit.org was basically non-profit.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Has anyone from the Summit team invited any of the various organizations to participate at the Summit? If these organizations were present I think it would be a great way for them to raise awareness and funds. I love the idea of a donation can and I will personally stuff it full of cash.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Ok, found the thread that is relevant for last years summit. http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/national-summit-discussion/43085-summit-2007-2008-accountability-3.html
and I guess I was asleep at the wheel during that time period.
Here's a cut/paste from the relevant post
nothing is wrong with asking where it went...........guh. the tone just wasn't cool.

next year we're doing this differently. money will be presented at the dinner, end of story.

anyway - here is what I know of charity money -

500 to chamber of commerce of Ouray
1K to Ouray Police Dept
2K to Ouray Mtn Rescue
500?? to Tread Lightly

I'll ask Tim if there is more or if there are adjustments.

We still have money in the bank for this year's event.

And just so you know - we cut it REALLY tight with expenses, etc. Remember the admission fee (not much), and the raffle monies weren't huge at all (we hope to sell more this year).

This year's event will give us an opportunity to give more to charities. A first year event is just getting us started - second year will give us some extra I hope. The difference comes from raffle tickets - keep that in mind while you are there.

Let me know of any questions. Thanks
Anyway I hope that helps. I still think a blurb on the summit web page would help or maybe a sticky on the summit forum. Then even us nimrods :blockhead: might understand.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I remember reading that they (the great folks that organize the Summit) give to charities, and wasn't the least bit concerned it was being pocketed.

I too will thrown in on more contributions - as much as I can afford, and with gas going through the roof just before this shin-dig, it won't be too much unfortunately. :(

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
What proceeds?

It's pretty much a break even situation!

:cheers:

-

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
FJSummit.org,Inc. is a not-for-profit corporation registered in Texas.
Co-Directors are Bostonian1976, theNookie, and myself.

Last year the corporation made donations to:

Tread Lightly-Silver Sponsor
Ouray Police Fund
Ouray Mountain Rescue
Our contribution to the Ouray Chamber of Commerce was all the good business we brought chamber members.

We retained a small amount of money (less than 5K) from 2007FJSummit for tax prep, accounting expenses, misc expenses ( paypal, website, etc) and planning expenses for 2008FJSummit.

To date nobody has been paid for the hundreds of hours put into this. We, however were reimbursed travel expenses last year.

To date the budget for 2008 is as tight as 2007. All costs have increased more than proportionately to the increased registration. Since most Sponsor involvement is donations for the raffle, we are hoping for decent revenues from raffle and t-shirt sales to keep it in the black.

Hope this helps. And thanks to all for your good wishes!

·
Registered
839 Posts
excellent. Thanks T2 :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

·
Registered
467 Posts

Ouray Police Fund
Ouray Mountain Rescue
Our contribution to the Ouray Chamber of Commerce was all the good business we brought chamber members.

We retained a small amount of money (less than 5K) from 2007FJSummit for tax prep, accounting expenses, misc expenses ( paypal, website, etc) and planning expenses for 2008FJSummit.

To date nobody has been paid for the hundreds of hours put into this. We, however were reimbursed travel expenses last year.

To date the budget for 2008 is as tight as 2007. All costs have increased more than proportionately to the increased registration. Since most Sponsor involvement is donations for the raffle, we are hoping for decent revenues from raffle and t-shirt sales to keep it in the black.

I think you guys all do an awesome job for the rest of us! I have no qualms about where or how my registration expenses are used. If there were a spot at the summit for the original poster's fund, I would gladly donate to that as well! Thanks for all of the untold hours you guys put in to make this event such a success! Last year was great and I am looking forward to this year being even better.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I applaud the Summit team for the time they put into this event so that everyone might enjoy themselves. My original question has nothing to do with the character of the Summit.org, Inc or the individuals that run said organization. My question is all about giving back (which you are already doing) to organizations that will help keep our trails open so that future generation have access to our trails. In my opinion, the list of organization should be expanded to include organizations that work to keep public lands public.

I called the Blue Ribbon Coalition today and talked with them about representation from BRC at the Summit. They simply need a formal invite in the form of a phone call or an email. They can send representation in the form of people, magazines, info packets and other items that explain their mission and why they are important to all of us. I'm sure other organizations would attend if asked.

BlueRibbon Coalition
4555 Burley Drive, Suite A
Pocatello, ID 83202-1921

Phone: (208) 237-1008
Fax: (208) 237-9424
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Your right, we got a bit off track...

We have invited Tread Lightly and Ouray MTN Rescue. I will invite BRC as well!

Thanks!
T2

·
Registered
278 Posts
The issue is that ALL of us need to get INVOLVED in organizations like Blue Ribbon Coalition ( BlueRibbon Coalition: Preserving your recreational access to public lands. ) and CORVA ( http://www.corva.org/ ). We need to make our voice heard through every public venue and medium possible, including bumper stickers! We need to be louder and more pervasive that the Sierra Club, etc., but also more professional and convincing. Complaining about it on forums like this spreads the word for the NEED for help, but helping means getting on the forums of our opponents and the fence-sitter and helping them understand our views. We need more representation and lobbying in local, state, and national government, particularly with the Forest Service and comparable state agencies. We need to get organized, get focused, and get on it. If not, we will have our asses waxed.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Your right, we got a bit off track...

We have invited Tread Lightly and Ouray MTN Rescue. I will invite BRC as well!

Thanks!
T2
Thank you! I love the idea of a donation cans passed around throughout the event and the proceeds going to BRC, Tread Lightly and Ouray MTN Rescue. I would love to see a separate donation from the Summit Organization if possible.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts

Ouray Police Fund
Ouray Mountain Rescue

(From the 2007 event) 990-EZ filed 7/14/2008 with the IRS for FJSUMMIT.ORG INC

Revenues: $31,358
Expenses:
Travel: $3775
Insurance: $2477
Other Event Expense: $8373
Office: $499

Printing, Pubs, Postage $1939

Co-Directors expense accounts:
$1200
$1200
$1375

Charitable Contributions:

Ouray Police Fund: $1000
Ouray Mountain Rescue: $1000
Total to charity $2000

Net assets or fund balance: $6703

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
It is my understanding that they dont make a penny off organizing the summit.
Not quite. At least according to the tax records:

For the 2008 Event (from the 990-EZ filed with the IRS):
Revenues: $74,762

Expenses:
Travel: $7073
Insurance: $2186
Event Entertainment: $1775
Office Supplies: $501
Food and Beverage $23636
Signage $540
Trail Guides $2402
Misc. $500