Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just built my own Toyota RAV4 on their website. The base for the RAV4 is 19.5K and and a fully loaded (all the options and most of the accessories) came out to about 27.5K. That big of a jump for a powerless midsize SUV. The FJ doesn't have leather seats and stuff but I'm sure options like GPS, lockers, rock rails, etc. will cost alot. 27.5 plus tax and lic. put's you over 30K for just a RAV4. What do you guys really think the FJ will start at and cost fully loaded with most of the accessories? I'm starting to think this won't happen for me. I'm the young, adventureous, male market they're after but I don't think I will be able to afford it, now that I've looked at RAV4's pricing.

Please Toyota help me out. :confused:

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
marketable said:
I just built my own Toyota RAV4 on their website. The base for the RAV4 is 19.5K and and a fully loaded (all the options and most of the accessories) came out to about 27.5K. That big of a jump for a powerless midsize SUV. The FJ doesn't have leather seats and stuff but I'm sure options like GPS, lockers, rock rails, etc. will cost alot. 27.5 plus tax and lic. put's you over 30K for just a RAV4. What do you guys really think the FJ will start at and cost fully loaded with most of the accessories? I'm starting to think this won't happen for me. I'm the young, adventureous, male market they're after but I don't think I will be able to afford it, now that I've looked at RAV4's pricing.

Please Toyota help me out. :confused:
I am 100% with you. The only thing I can think is that I need to be saving now so that a year from now I have a huge down payment ready. That way I can still afford to pay half a paycheck on the payment for the next 7 years to get what i want. I too, am worried, that although I am totally their intended market that their pricing is going to reserve this as a rich guy toy rather than a late 20's early 30's off-roadmobile... Only time will tell. Hopefully we will be able to confirm some type of pricing in the next month or so.

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
marketable said:
The FJ doesn't have leather seats and stuff but I'm sure options like GPS, lockers, rock rails, etc. will cost alot.
i think a lot of the price in the FJC is going to depend on if they go the option package route (eg 4450 TRD offroad package just to get the $750 locker) and so on. hopefully they do the bulk of the options ala carte and somewhere within what you might pay for a similar aftermarket component (700-800 for lockers, ~300 for rock rails, etc).

·
Registered
22 Posts
marketable said:
I just built my own Toyota RAV4 on their website. The base for the RAV4 is 19.5K and and a fully loaded (all the options and most of the accessories) came out to about 27.5K. That big of a jump for a powerless midsize SUV...
Powerless? The new RAV4 will have a V6 option. Should be the quickest vehicle in the Toyota lineup. Supposed to be in showrooms in the next few months. But I doubt that's what you priced on the Toyota website.

I get your point. Namely, that the FJ will be priced above the RAV4. But there will be overlap. A base FJ should be cheaper than a loaded RAV4, dealers adding accessories & "market adjustment" (gouging) will make the FJ needlessly expensive, etc.

Frankly, I don't care what the EXACT base MSRP is. We know it's the low- to mid-twenties. Loaded, probably around $30k. And if you've got to have one of the first FJ's, it's gonna cost more than if you wait.

Fearless prediction: When pricing is finally set and the first FJ's hit showrooms, watch the endless stream of complaints on this forum:

"The dealer-added market adjustment is ridiculous."
"The dealer doesn't have the 6-speed/4wd/color/options I want."
"Estimated delivery for the FJ I ordered is 16 weeks!"
"The FJ I ordered 16 weeks ago isn't here yet!"
"Why have others gotten the FJ they ordered and I haven't?"
"I put a deposit down 8 months ago and STILL don't have my FJ!"

I'm still excited about the FJ. But I don't think I can wait a year to get the FJ I want. I'm beginning to think the best deal for me might be a late-model used 4runner... then wait for decent out-the-door pricing on an 08 FJ equipped the way I want.

In the meantime, I'll try not to be too jealous of you guys that get the first FJ's.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I will probably have to wait till late summer or fall and then I will get to play the game... I priced up a pretty well loaded extended cab 4x4 tacoma yesterday and it was about $24,500 with everything I would want aside from the garbage factory installed mud-flaps and stuff. I'll add aftermarket and save a grand. I priced up the Rav4 - only option on the website is for the 2.4 ltr 4-banger and it was over $30K. I'd have a tacoma long before I'd buy a rav-4.

If the FJ hits mid $20K, I'm all over it. Knowing it's capabilities before the release will make the chosen options easier even if they aren't a la carte - but I am clinging to the hope that they are. For the 4-runner with the SR5 V6 package it was still $33-36K depending on how you built it up. I won't spend that much. So there is still hope for some of us on the broke end of the spectrum.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Percy said:
I will probably have to wait till late summer or fall and then I will get to play the game... I priced up a pretty well loaded extended cab 4x4 tacoma yesterday and it was about $24,500 with everything I would want aside from the garbage factory installed mud-flaps and stuff. I'll add aftermarket and save a grand. I priced up the Rav4 - only option on the website is for the 2.4 ltr 4-banger and it was over $30K. I'd have a tacoma long before I'd buy a rav-4.

Hey Percy,

I have a buddy who just got a Ext. Cab Tacoma, 4x4 of course, and he loves it! I just got a brief view last week, and have not been driving in it yet. I hear ya, the Tacoma may be an overall better deal...

Chaz

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I'd pay a grand or two more for the FJ, but the hell with over 30K. I'm not goin' there unless it's the Roush Mustang - that's an incredible value - $36K for something with Jack's special touch is a steal!

I want the FJ, but if they get fancy on the pricing and I fit inside the Tacoma Xtra Cab, I'll get that instead.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The people I spoke with in Ojai said the locking diff will definitely be a stand-alone option. I think the FJC is the perfect vehicle to sell ala carte options on but it would create a dizzying amount of combinations for Toyota and the dealers to cope with. Maybe smaller, well picked, like item groups would be a good compromise. I too do not want to buy a $2500 package just to get my locker!

Jason

Topless4runner said:
i think a lot of the price in the FJC is going to depend on if they go the option package route (eg 4450 TRD offroad package just to get the $750 locker) and so on. hopefully they do the bulk of the options ala carte and somewhere within what you might pay for a similar aftermarket component (700-800 for lockers, ~300 for rock rails, etc).

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Here's the best idea yet... instead of selling the Cruisers through a dealership offer up a Cruiser only type of setting where you can go in and pick it out like making a value meal order at Mickey D's. A whole showroom full of goodies and a couple of decked out models on the floor. A bunch of stockers in the back - you walk in decide what you want on it and a day or two later - whoala! There it is - custom made by YOU the consumer. I bet they'd make an absolute killing just because it would be fun for buyers to go and "play" at the store.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Plus, the store could offer up mod parts for the 4-runners and the Tacoma's and it would be one big happy off-road environment for toyota enthusiasts. It would create a manufacturer controlled environment for approved aftermarket parts and toys. Somebody quick get the number to Toyota corporate and let's see if we can't be the one's that run the Store for coming up with the idea.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts