Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or, more to the point, what sort of activities are we all into that will require extra racks, etc for this truck?

I mountain bike....snowboard....road bike.....and kayak. I hope they have attachments for all of these (I know some are already listed). I'm just not sure I want my bike like 10 or 11 feet in the air! Where else could it go? On the back maybe?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I'll use a spare tire carrier for my bike. I will probably get a ski/snowboard attachement and if they make it, something for my open boat.

·
Registered
552 Posts
For me it's all about the surfboard during the week and bike/hike gear on the weekends. With this rig I can avoid some of the crowds.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Bike - Snowboard - & aftermarket hitch lift for Vespa!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Bostonian1976 said:
I'm just not sure I want my bike like 10 or 11 feet in the air! Where else could it go? On the back maybe?
I got tired of heaving my bikes on my roof. I broke down and bought a Sprotsworks (now bought by Thule) hitch carrier. It is AWESOME! On and off in one minute and is rock solid when on the rack (no rattles). And now I don't have to worry about taking out another Burger King drive-thru sign. :D

So that would mean you will need the tow package though.

·
Registered
92 Posts
mountain bike, snowboard, kayak.

I know someone has asked this a while ago, but was it ever figured out if there will be a spare tire mount on the roof rack? If not, someone will make an aftermarket bracket I assume?

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Yakima receiver hitch bike mount. Possibly a custom gun rack on the back door where they want you to put the cargo net pocket-thingies. A hi-lift jack mount and shovel mount like the one at SEMA, and then a tube for fishin' poles. That oughta about do it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You don't want a hitch rack for your bike, you want a spare tire mount bike rack like this:http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/product.asp?dept_id=8&sku=963
This is because it will be too much of a hassle to swing open the rear door with a hitch mount. I had a spare tire bike rack with my Troopers and could always access the rear compartment (cooler). The door and bikes will swing out of the way.

I have emailed, with no reply yet, Yakima Racks to see if a Yakima roof rack base support can be attached to the FJ roof. I remember seeing a close up picture of a FJ without a rack where there was a plug in the roof seam for where the Toyota roof rack would attach. I already have Yakima racks, and don't need a full safari type rack for my surf toys. Also. the Yakima bases are about $25.00, and the Toyota Rack will probably be more than $800.00. If it doesn't work, I can bite the bullet and pay for the Toyota racks later.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
That is very cool. You're right, I think I want one of those instead. Although, our receiver hitch has a pin in the bottom. You pull the pin and the whole thing lays down flat so you can still get into the tailgate, even with the bikes on it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Surboards, Skis and Bikes-------some type of inside bike rack option would be killer.--------Surboards just strap onto the roof rack or slide in the back, and skis get their own attachment on the rack!

Probably will need to have the cargo nets for the rear door too.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
The only problem I have with carrying a bike on a hitch rack is , due to the aerodynamics of a station wagon like truck, you suck up all sorts of debris and water on the back. That's why they put a wiper on the rear window. So if you have a bike that is relatively expensive, it could present problems. Bike roof racks, when you take off the front wheel, don't appear to be that high in the air.

·
Registered
181 Posts
other1 said:
Bike roof racks, when you take off the front wheel, don't appear to be that high in the air.
Oh they are. It's not like a car where you can use both hands and put it on the roof. With a truck you have to hold the bike with one hand (hope your bike is light) and the rack with the other then pull yourself up standing on the sills or running boards. Then you have to be careful not to scratch or dent your roof with the forks because you are holding the bike with one hand. PIA.

I agree if the roads were wet then the bike would get pretty crummy on the back but I don't run into this really as I don't ride in the rain. I've used both and IMO the hitch mounts are WAAAYYYY easier and better. But with the spare on the back, as pointed out, a spare tire rack is probably the best easiest option.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I've been wanting to get a kayak for quite a while anyway so since it will look so cool on top of my FJC that's the final straw. I'm thinking maybe a Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 or something similar. Mid-range price, multi-use. Any advice on kayaks from you great Outdoors(wo)men? And like MuddyBoogers I'm going with the stock roof rack. Can you just buy cross bars and kayak holder thingies that will attach to the stock rack?

·
Registered
163 Posts
4 longboards on the roof...and towing a jetski or 2

1 - 20 of 46 Posts