Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aftermarket Roof Rack for the FJ's??? I bought my current FJ used and someone had removed the factory rack. The dealership was supposed to provide me with another rack off another used vehicle...but it's been almost a year and they have yet to do so.

With all that being said, I've read the stock racks are not all that great in their design...so I figured I'd ask for opinions. I will be using the rack for a variety of uses. I'll be hauling whitewater kayaks, canoes, eventually a roof top tent, camping equipment, possibly coolers, etc, etc. I'd like a fairly heavy duty rack and I'm kind of looking at the "basket" type designs with a floor of some sort. I'd like it to be heavy duty enough to be up there climbing around on it without having to be concerned about damaging it.

Since the dealer has failed to locate me a used factory rack, I'm considering asking them to order me in an aftermarket rack at their wholesale cost to put on the vehicle. Thank you in advance for any input you can give me on this matter!

·
Registered
179 Posts

·
Banned
1,843 Posts

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
You definitely can do better with an aftermarket roof rack. The OEM one is ok but there are better ones out there if you will be using it a lot.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
I myself like the Front Runner and will be purchasing soon for my rig. Strong, light, and extremely modular with loads of accessories available for it.

Front Runner Slimline II Full Rack / Toyota FJ Cruiser
I have one and LOVE it. I agree with this statement.
I have the BajaRack Utility Rack. Bought it used off another memeber, and it's been pretty good. Makes a bit more noise than I'd prefer, and the old performance street car guy in me would rather it weigh less. Might someday check out one of these Front Runners if I find the cash and get the other mods I have in mind taken care of 1st.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Having had a Toyota OEM on my 2007 with the corresponding # of years experience using it I've decided to pull the trigger on a replacement for my 2014 TTUE due to arrive shortly. While it's frustrating to have to get the rig with that OEM rack on it -- it's the price that has to be paid for getting the TTUE.

When I first ordered my 2007 MT in 2006 I had my eyes on a third party rack. However, at that time I wasn't 100% convinced there was a third party product that would be guaranteed available when my '07 was due to arrive that suited my long term needs. I went with the 'bird in the hand...' mantra. In hind site that was happy accident as I've since benefited from seeing third party guys tweak their designs and I've fine tuned my own needs.

For me - my needs, use, budget, etc - having compared it to the OEM rack in the real world - and having done a lot of research on the various options out there - I'm going with the Gobi Stealth. They've made some minor tweaks to the design and installation which has me 100% convinced it's the way to go.

The cherry on the sundae for me was visiting the Gobi guys here in Aurora, CO. Paul was great to deal with and took the time to walk me through all the nuances and addressed all my OCD issues (and I have plenty of OCD issues when it comes to this sort of stuff!). Clearly the fact they're local to me was a big plus as Paul also kindly offered to do the installation which is certainly a bonus! Confession: It did feel somewhat odd complementing a man on his rack :lol:

Based on my research there are a lot of great third party racks out there these days. All I can suggest is making a detailed list of what your specific needs/use requirements are and start narrowing down the competition.

Hope that helps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts