Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted over in the newbie section and didn't get much of a response so I thought I would try again here. I don't have an FJ yet but that is about to change after making a 1400 mile road trip in one. The one I drove is for sale, and has a bunch of options that I want. It's a 2007 with trd wheels, exhaust, and 6 speed. I don't believe that it's a real trd because it's silver and white and has no badging. My only real concern is that it already has 70k miles. Even though the mileage is high the guy who owns it (I trust him with my life) has had it for a year with no problems. What should I be looking out for? what needs to be done in the 30k and 60k tuneups? Is 70k miles a big deal, or should I walk away and find a different one? Thanks for your expertise.
DP

· Registered
124 Posts
Re: What should I look for?

First off, how much is he selling it for, but you need to look out for fender bulges or cracking and check under the truck to see if the owners have done any hard wheeling with it. To my knowledge trd only comes in all black. Also if your planning to use this truck to wheel than you should get one that has rear locking diff you can always add atrac later for about 60 buck from forum vendors.

· Registered
3,358 Posts

^^^agreed. the big question is how much? Does it have anything aftermarket? Obviously it isn't a TRD because of the color and lack of badges. So, don't let him, or whomever try to sell it to you under the pretenses that it is.

· Registered
1,842 Posts

hope you don't mind me adding to this thread as I will be buying used soon also and have similar questions. how would I go about checking the 4wd system? Do all fjs have mounting holes for the oem rack even if that option wasn't purchased from the factory?

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks for the replies. It does have a locking rear diff and atrac. He needs about 21k to get out from his loan. That seems to be about the middle range around here as far as price. I've seen some lower with less options and some higher with less miles. I looked at a real TRD yesterday on a lot. 109K miles, worn out tires and they still wanted $23,900. I don't think so.
DP

· Registered
1,422 Posts

I would say that is still too much. I bought an '08 6MT with the offroad package out the door for 23k with 7,500 miles. This was June '09. Shop around some more, you should be able to get a good deal somewhere. Especially knowing that it is NOT a TRD you should not have to pay 21k. His bad for being in an upside-down loan.

· Registered
459 Posts

hope you don't mind me adding to this thread as I will be buying used soon also and have similar questions. how would I go about checking the 4wd system? Do all fjs have mounting holes for the oem rack even if that option wasn't purchased from the factory?
Yes, there will be white covers over the mounting holes, they all have them. Find a patch of loose sand, put the FJ in 4 low, accelerate very quickly and try to make the wheels spin. You should see skid marks in the sand from one rear wheel and one front wheel. Put the locker on and do it again, you should see skid marks from both rear wheels and one front wheel. Only try this on loose sand or dirt. You need to be in 4 low because TRAC will try to keep the wheels from spinning in 4 high.

I don't think 70K is a lot of miles for a Toyota at all, but I do think you can do better on the price.

· Registered
1,842 Posts

Yes, there will be white covers over the mounting holes, they all have them. Find a patch of loose sand, put the FJ in 4 low, accelerate very quickly and try to make the wheels spin. You should see skid marks in the sand from one rear wheel and one front wheel. Put the locker on and do it again, you should see skid marks from both rear wheels and one front wheel. Only try this on loose sand or dirt. You need to be in 4 low because TRAC will try to keep the wheels from spinning in 4 high.

I don't think 70K is a lot of miles for a Toyota at all, but I do think you can do better on the price.
thanks for the help AA2D.

· Registered
3,358 Posts
agreed, you can do better for that price, just shop around. i would offer him $18,500 for his fj, personally.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I'll definately check over the body and undercarriage carefully now that I've done the research and know what to look for. This is not my first 4x4, but is my first foray into a FJ. As far as the price I've been looking at craigslist for the last week, and rarely do I see one under 21,000 around here. Up here in the Pacific Northwest 4x4's bring a premium. Thanks again.
DP

· Registered
82 Posts
Ah, the Pacific NW, my old stomping grounds, beautiful, good for you!!
Expand your search to all states west Miss. or even all cont. 48!!
Perhaps you will find a much better deal, then take a cheap flight or even the bus/train and go get it.
Then you get to go on an expedition on your way home.
Good luck with your search, your interested in a great platform for sure.:cheers:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.