Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of the members have done the blackout by themselves, but I do not really want to tackle the job. So, my friend runs a body shop and he basically said it would run me about $500 for everything silver to be black including: bezel, mirrors, door handles, front and rear bumper pieces.

What do you guys think of that price? He would have two different paint colors, flat black to match the bumpers and then the glossy black on the bezel, handles and mirrors to match the paint on the body.

He does great work, but I was hoping for $300. So, I haven't had it done.

:boohoo:

David

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
Sounds high to me.

Not quite my $.02 worth :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it is a little high too, but I was wondering what others had paid. Some people I see are spend over a $100 on black TT mirrors??

·
Registered
346 Posts
Do it your self it shouldn't take more than a full days work, Rusto plastic spraypaint dries rather quickly. You will learn more about your truck, but if time is a factor them by all means have some one else do it. The reason they are charging you 500 is they are probly going to color match it. but 500 is too high in my book ..........i paid 500 to have my roof done black. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He offered to do the roof as well, but it will be a little more but not much considering he won't need another paint setup.

Man!!! I want this done...I don't mind spending the cash, I just don't want to get ripped off!!

David

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
its right, yeah its high for DIY but from a shop and to have it a warranty... its right on.. I had mine done 2yrs ago, paid $475.. My FJ had a week of down time while I was in Hong Kong, so I had it done... Now a days.. I'd do it and save myself the $$ but I have had to have the mirrors redone recently due to chipping..

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is what I wanted to hear.

I just didn't want to get taken for way more than it's worth.

Any thoughts on the blacking out hurting the resale value? Not that the resale is worth a flip right now anyways!!

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think it is a little high too, but I was wondering what others had paid. Some people I see are spend over a $100 on black TT mirrors??
the price quoted sounds about right. just make sure he has a warranty against chipping. the good thing about getting trail team parts is there is no worry about chipping. if you are able to get the trail team parts i would say get those. i was able to get that. if you can get an employee price on the trail team parts you should be able to the mirrors, door handles and grill for under $600. if you have to pay retail then it will be closer to $750-$800

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I say it'd be a lot cheaper to just rattle can, but that's just my 2 cents!:bandit:

·
Registered
31 Posts
When I talked to MACCO they quoted me at 800 most of that is labor

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
I love taking things apart, I just do......

It is not very hard to DIY but I understand that that is not on everyone's to do list. But you will LOVE the all blacked out look, I can assure you of that one!

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I just can't bring myself to do it. Up here in the north where winter sucks for 6 months a year they salt and sand the roads and if you have ever seen what that does to the front end of a vehicle then you know my dilemma (sp). I saw one done down in Maine in the spring and it looked good from 20ft but up close it was chipped to hell.....It made me sad but it certainly made up my mind in a hurry. I will live with my silver bits for now.....Who knows maybe someday I will find a way to get the TT parts....One at a time!!!!

But man I like the way it looks!!!!!!

·
Registered
338 Posts
I too got the Tundra handles. From the dealer it was under $60. I haven't tried to price the trail teams mirrors yet, since I don't have the part number. Depending upon price I'd rather just replace the mirrors than paint them. I don't mind painting the bezel though. As for the bumpers I've decided to eventually put in the All Pro bumpers so i can wait for that.

Does anyone have the part number for the trail teams mirrors? Thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
well, it cost me $60 here in Kuwait :)

but I opened each part and took it to the paint shop, plus I got the painint materials "around $20", and they look perfect, I will post some pictures later on . .

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.