Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
07 Maroon Toyota FJ Cruiser
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m running the Patagonia m/t milestars, the max cold psi says 80 and I know Inside the door of an fj it says 32 which is the lowest they can be. What psi should I run?

·
Registered
07 Maroon Toyota FJ Cruiser
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What size of tire? What width of rim? Do you have alot of additional weight? 30 - 40 psi is what most people run. Choose something and keep checking tire wear. My FJ was picky on factory wheels and 305 width tires. If I went over 35 psi it started wearing funny.
I’m running the factory toyota rims, the tires are 285/70 17” rim 121/1180 10pr

·
Registered
327 Posts
The PSI rating printed on the tire is Max PSI at Max load. Max load being the maximum weight the tire can safely carry. Your Cruiser is no where near that weight. As Iconic pointed out, start with roughly 35psi and monitor tire wear. An old school trick is to chalk the tire tread, drive in a straight line then inspect the chalk area looking for even tread contact with the pavement.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
My 285`s say 80 psi on them and I`ve been running at 50psi for years they do just fine and I get 30 to 40K per set. :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
i too have 285's (M/T's) and i usually run around 50 if i'm not on the trails :cool:

they seem to wear pretty evenly, 35-40k on a set

·
Registered
54 Posts
Normally run at 28 psi, if off roading I’ll run 12 psi. It’s not about the mpg’s, its about the quality of the ride, both on and off the road. Running 285/75/16 MTR’s. Last trip about 140 miles, around 40 off road, got 13.7 mpg’s.

·
Registered
21 Posts
put 30psi in them then take some chalk and mark all the way across the tread and go forward and backward once or twice and adjust air until all the chalk is gone on the forward and back and you will have full tire contact with the pavement.

·
Admin
7,230 Posts
You also have to consider your quality of roads that you travel on and the typical ambient temperature.

For instance.... if I ran at 50 psi (as Sanderhawk stated above)... my kidneys would be bounced up into my throat and my traction control and emergency brake assist would make it essentially undriveable.

Around here I run the following psi with 285/75/16 Duratracs E rated:
36 summer
28'ish winter (which I then put to 35 for highway trips)

My theory is to run the highest psi (on hwy) that is comfortable and doesn't adversely affect your ABS/TRAC/emergency brake assist... etc.

Life is too short to be uncomfortable driving for you and your passengers.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I’m running the Patagonia m/t milestars, the max cold psi says 80 and I know Inside the door of an fj it says 32 which is the lowest they can be. What psi should I run?
Use the chalk trick someone above posted. You can get big sidewalk chalk at the dollar store. This establishes the “best” tire pressure for full road/tire tread contact. You can adjust up and down from that based on what your use will be and what extra weight you might be carrying and always return to the “ideal” pressure. In addition, if you can still find your chalk you can repeat the test as often as you want.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts