Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the last stages of making my 2007 FJ trail ready. At this point its a weekend toy that I don't drive daily so I don't care about all the weight I'm adding to her with the bumper and sliders I've put on. Accordingly, skid plates are the next things on my list. Now, I'm planning on doing some off-roading probably once ever 6 months and I do want to make sure that I have enough protection underneat. I don't need to cover everything in my opinion as I'm not going to be rock crawling.

I know the gas tank skid is definitely not needed since its tucked up so high. What do you guys think are the definite must have skids for off-roading?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
If you want peace of mind, I'd recommend Front/Engine skid, transmission, transfer case, and rear lower links. Since you don't plan on wheeling very much I'd go with aluminum to cut down on weight.

However, if you don't plan on getting into rocks at all, you'd probably be fine with the stock skids. I'd still recommended rear lower link skids though, because once you bang up your link mounts they're a pain in the ass to get straight again.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I'm in the last stages of making my 2007 FJ trail ready. At this point its a weekend toy that I don't drive daily so I don't care about all the weight I'm adding to her with the bumper and sliders I've put on. Accordingly, skid plates are the next things on my list. Now, I'm planning on doing some off-roading probably once ever 6 months and I do want to make sure that I have enough protection underneat. I don't need to cover everything in my opinion as I'm not going to be rock crawling.

I know the gas tank skid is definitely not needed since its tucked up so high. What do you guys think are the definite must have skids for off-roading?
I'm not sure I agree that a gas tank skid isn't necessary, but it all depends on where you go. I would suggest biting the bullet and buying a full set. Out of all of my skid plates, my tank skid is the one that had sustained the most damage. I am quite sure that my skid plates have already paid for themselves many times over, but then again, I drive my FJ really hard over things I shouldn't be messing with.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts

Lower Link skids should be top priority. Think about upgrading the links, too. From there, just figure out what you can afford. The frontal skids are generally best to buy as a set since that's how they were intended. Rear diff skid would also be a good investment.

Check out RCi Metalworks. They have a pretty comprehensive offering of skids.

·
Registered
322 Posts
If you want peace of mind, I'd recommend Front/Engine skid, transmission, transfer case, and rear lower links. Since you don't plan on wheeling very much I'd go with aluminum to cut down on weight.

However, if you don't plan on getting into rocks at all, you'd probably be fine with the stock skids. I'd still recommended rear lower link skids though, because once you bang up your link mounts they're a pain in the ass to get straight again.
x2.

I have the RCI front and transmission skid. Transfer case skid is next on order. I also have lower shock skids from FJ Toy man. http://fjtoymanoffroad.com/

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
x2 on the lower link skids. they are priceless.

I am assuming you already have sliders...they are probably more important than skids.

Next Id say the transfer case skid is great. That exhaust just hangs so low.

·
Registered
272 Posts
However, if you don't plan on getting into rocks at all, you'd probably be fine with the stock skids.
I agree. If you're never going to hit the rocks, you really will be fine with stock skids. The extra weight of any skid will take a chunk out of your wallet each fill up.

·
Premium Member
4,685 Posts
I don't need to cover everything in my opinion as I'm not going to be rock crawling.

I know the gas tank skid is definitely not needed since its tucked up so high.
Would be interested to know where you live, there might be an armor vendor near you so you can save on shipping. Also it would help to get an idea of the kind of offroading you'd be doing.

Taken at your word -- no rocks, occasional offroading -- I agree with @Subverto saying aluminum is preferable to steel.

Beyond that, I'd simply list the mods in priority order. If your budget allows, do them all. Don't wait until you're fully armored before offroading it, and as you find yourself hanging up in different spots or impacting it based on the trails you go on, you can adjust these as you see fit.

1. Beef up the rear lower control arms (LCA).
2. Lower link skids for the new LCAs.
3. Rock rails / sliders, preferably kick-out style for side protection.
4. Rear lower shock mounting point armor. These are very cheap for the protection they provide.
4. Bash plate, engine skid and transfer case skid.
=== below this line isn't essential in my opinion ===
5. Rear differential skid.
6. Gas tank skid.

I agree with you, no rocks means you shouldn't need the gas tank skid. The rear diff skid is great for rocks (I looked at a rear diff drain plug last weekend that wasn't coming off due to rock damage) but for anywhere else, your rear diff should be tough enough.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
This gas tank is not tucked up high, in fact, it's one of the lowest hanging parts. That being said, I don't have a gas tank skid and do lots of rocks. I have scraped the stock plastic tank skid many times and no punctures or split seams. I am mindful of where it is and try not to hit it, and will back off an obstacle if it does hit or is going to.

Stock skids will get you pretty far, rarely do you hear about someone smashed their stock skids to the point where it breaks another part. I consider them disposable skids, they work once and then you throw them out

·
Admin
6,514 Posts
x3 (4?) about rear link skids to protect the front bracket. I turned mine into hamburger. The steel there is weak and you can bend it with a normal pair of pliers. It will likely be the cheapest preventative measure of protection as well. Get either the bolt-on or the weld-on version... but get something!
:cheers:

(as well as a full set of skids.... it's a nice piece of mind when you go off-pavement)

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
x3 (4?) about rear link skids to protect the front bracket. I turned mine into hamburger. The steel there is weak and you can bend it with a normal pair of pliers. It will likely be the cheapest preventative measure of protection as well. Get either the bolt-on or the weld-on version... but get something!
:cheers:

(as well as a full set of skids.... it's a nice piece of mind when you go off-pavement)

If you're strong and angry I bet you could bend the link mounts with your bare hands. :lol:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm located just outside DC so I doubt there is a vendor nearby. So far I have Expedition one sliders mounted on my FJ, along with a front bull bar.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I'm located just outside DC so I doubt there is a vendor nearby. So far I have Expedition one sliders mounted on my FJ, along with a front bull bar.
The lower link armor is either cheap to ship or free depending on the vendor. I got my rocktek link armor from Toyota of Dallas with free shipping.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
The lower link armor is either cheap to ship or free depending on the vendor. I got my rocktek link armor from Toyota of Dallas with free shipping.
The lower link armor is dirt cheap to ship. When I bought my RCi lower link armor it ended up being like $12 shipping. It would have cost me more in gas to drive up to Fort Collins from Denver, so I just had Josh ship them to me :).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts