Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 154 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I`ve run 255/75/17`s in Hankook ATM`s with spydertrax spacers. they were pizza cutterish.
Nice looking rig. Too bad you traded it in on a Renault.

·
Banned
6,390 Posts
Nice looking rig. Too bad you traded it in on a Renault.
those pics were courtesy of smalldog!:rocker:

that was taken back in NJ in Wharton when the toytec kit was on. GOD I miss that place.

and the titan goes oui oui out the tail pipe too! doesn`t get much better than that. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

yes, I agree, it was an awesome rig, hopefully someone will get better use out of it than just sitting in the driveway looking pretty.:mecry:

·
Premium Member
4,685 Posts
Good thread. People should have to read this before their account is activated.

BTW, I run 38's, but only drive straight.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Agreed! Thanks to VK for putting this together. I wish I had known all this last year when I first got my fj.
The Original owner put an oversized 18" tire on a rim that probably shouldn't ever been put on the fj to begin with. Maybe that's why they sold it? who knows.. It took me a very long time to get that abortion straightened out. This thread summed it up quite nicely..

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I wish I had known all this last year when I first got my fj.
The Original owner put an oversized 18" tire on a rim that probably shouldn't ever been put on the fj to begin with.
The single worst thing you can do is put an ill-fitting wheel/tire combo on an FJ (or 4Runner or Tacoma).

Just because the bolt pattern fits, doesn't mean that the wheels are the right size.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Just because the bolt pattern fits, doesn't mean that the wheels are the right size.
^

I think VK summed up something quite well. A belief I have had my whole life, but really wasn't sure how to say it correctly and to the point.

I scream about off-set. I try and convey "how tall of a tire" are you wanting?

What i should have said is..... what VK said above. Just because the bolt pattern fits doesn't mean that the wheels are the right size.....!!!!
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

·
Premium Member
4,685 Posts
The single worst thing you can do is put an ill-fitting wheel/tire combo on an FJ (or 4Rnr or Taco).

and I agree 100% The rims that were on it when I got it. set the the wheel out to far. so the turning radius wasn't very good.
I finally did replace the tires after a month.. 285 60 18's.. that helped some. but I didn't realize the issue with the rims.. until I got in touch with Discount tires.. After a few Pm's and pictures.. They told me what the problem was. They were really cool about it too. They sent me a couple of rims to test fit. Before replacing the entire set.
After everything was done.. It was like have a completely different truck. I had no idea that it would turn as sharp as it does.. :lol:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thx for posting all the info on tire sizes, etc. Awesome work!! Had a question for u...I have 265/75/16 BFG All-Terrains with 80K (they're done) on my '08 FJ TTSE. Want to get the new BFG A/T 2 in 305/70/16. Question is: do you think the TRD wheels (16"x7.5") would work or would it be better to get a wider wheel/rim (for gas mileage and such)??

Thanks...appreciate it

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thx for posting all the info on tire sizes, etc. Awesome work!! Had a question for u...I have 265/75/16 BFG All-Terrains with 80K (they're done) on my '08 FJ TTSE. Want to get the new BFG A/T 2 in 305/70/16. Question is: do you think the TRD wheels (16"x7.5") would work or would it be better to get a wider wheel/rim (for gas mileage and such)??

Thanks...appreciate it
BFG recommends a rim width range of 8-9.5" for that particular tire. Your call, but I think you'll be fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thx...appreciate it. Do you think that tire (305 70R16) or even the 285 75R 16 would require a body chop on my '08 TTSE??

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Yes... I had to get a BMC when I stepped up to 305s on TRD rims. I ran 295s without a BMC, soi think a 285 would be fine.

Great job to the OP on this thread. I thought it was a joke until I saw who the OP was.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have original TRD FJ 16 inch wheels, I know factory tire size is 265/75/16. But would consider and prefer a bit larger tire to fill in the tire well a bit better. Any thoughts? Any pictures ? Was thinking 275/75/16? But that's a bit wider but not taller correct? Thanks!

·
Registered
886 Posts
I have original TRD FJ 16 inch wheels, I know factory tire size is 265/75/16. But would consider and prefer a bit larger tire to fill in the tire well a bit better. Any thoughts? Any pictures ? Was thinking 275/75/16? But that's a bit wider but not taller correct? Thanks!

285/75/16 is most popular. Some go 305/70/16 but most place won't mount that size tire on a 7.5" width rim. TRD rim is 7.5".

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
A) your rims are 7.5" wide
B) tire size will be dictated by BMC, lift, spacers, etc.
C) assuming no other mods, I'd run a 275/70/17 or 285/70/17.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Thank you VK very informative thread!! If there was still props ud be recieving more than a few. a mod should sticky this and delete all other tire threads. i still cant believe people are asking questions. if its on the list do what is suggested and if you are still questioning go to a tire shop and ask or get a test fit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good job on the charts, V.K. most on here should be able to understand !! Can`t remember who started this thread but there are many variables when it comes to tires and rims, tire sizes are given in nominal sizes, i.e my 315/70X17 bfg at`s were quoted to be 34.6 inches tall. mounted 33.6 tall. Biggest mistake people make on FJ`s is rims, wrong offset, wrong backspacing. then throw on some spacers and try and fix it. short term fix, long term problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
FYI for what it is worth.

My FJ, a late May of 2014 model. Got new shoes today. Thanks Amazon Prime for the FREE, ZIP, NADA shipping the the big State of Alaska (this is only really meaningful to Alaskans and Hawaiians)

So back to the shoes. BFG KM2 255/80/17. Fitted to stock rims. No wheel spacers.

The ARB bumper and Warn XD9000i get installed next week. At that time Ill assess the amount of new spring I will need.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers:grin

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
285/75/16 is most popular. Some go 305/70/16 but most place won't mount that size tire on a 7.5" width rim. TRD rim is 7.5".

Your right Discount tire here in High Point, NC advised against mounting anything above a 295 series on the stock 7.5" rim.

Also I looked at the BFG AT TA KO2 in a 285/70 R17 at discount tire and just rolling up to sit beside stock rims it wouldn't have cleared my Body Mounts we didn't make it to even test fitting or mounting the tech did some tape measuring as did I and figured it would rub for sure. My FJ seems to be an odd ball with only about a 1-1.5" difference front to rear not the normal quoted 2" rake difference. Its a 2014 Quicksand 4x4 auto.

I just installed the 3" Toytec lift this past Saturday at a buddies house with a lift, was smooth on front end (also installed diff relocation and sway bar relocation, and radiator support drop, skid plate drop kits all came with it). The rear springs and was worst part getting them in and out had to use spring compressors.

Also did the BMC two weekends ago.

I just ordered the MOTO Metal M970B wheels in place of the Fuel Mavericks I wanted, because of availability and cost. I wanted to stay with 17" but wanted 10" wide and -24mm off set because they already had the Nitto Trail Grappler 295/ 70 R17 waiting for me. However I ordered the original tires I wanted to go with just in plus on.

Friday I'll post pics of the new setup. Moto Metal M970B 17x10" 4.5" bck spacing (-24mm offset), and BFG All Terrain TA KO in 305/ 65 R18 Which per the BFG site is a 33.7" overall diameter and a 12.2" wide with 9" rim so should be 33.7x12.50 on a 10" rim roughly. I didn't want bubble up on the 295/ 70 R17 on 7.5" rim that I've seen. I don't do crazy wheeling so it works for my application. At least I hope so, shouldn't need spacers either.

If it looks like I have plenty of space for it after these tires go I'll move to the KO2 in LT325/65R18/E size next time then that's it. I wanted wider not really taller. Hate the stock skinny 265/ 70 tires that it came with, wished the rims where 8.5-9" wide then would have stayed with them.

Awesome post by the way wish I would have seen it before tonight. Would have saved me about 30 phone calls and days of time wasted reading through 100's of posts in this and other forums, LOL..

21 - 40 of 154 Posts