Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 154 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Biggest mistake people make on FJ`s is rims, wrong offset, wrong backspacing. then throw on some spacers and try and fix it. short term fix, long term problem.
^
Amen !!!! :cheers:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Here's my end result it worked out nice NO rubbing anywhere at first then after alignment had small rub on front passenger side inner fender (behind front bumper), zip tie and small pull in 1/4" and its gone no more rubbing. It was at full lock when backing up.

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I just spent some time clarifying the first post to make it easier for someone new to this to understand.

Also added in the equation, as it were, to calculate size. Most people forget that there are 2 sidewalls in the diameter of a tire. They calculate width, one sidewall, and add in the rim diameter, but can't figure out while their calculations are off by several inches in diameter.

·
Registered
180 Posts
It all makes sense and thank you for the data and guidance. I've enjoyed my Duratracs at 285/70/17 and am looking forward to moving up to 34s or 35s. Now I need to figure out an appropriate spacer based on wheel choice and tire height.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Just want to say thanks to the OP for the hard work in putting this together. I'm looking at a used FJ in another city and was concerned with the tire/wheel combo on the rig (Big-O Big Foot 285-70/17 on Moto Metal M0957 rims), with no lift or other mods. The salesman is supposed to be checking to see if he can determine if there's any rubbing. But from reading here it might be fine (or at least very close).

16 Posts
Awesome sticky. Here's my situation.

I meant to ask for 285/70/17s for my gfs stock fj (shes obsessing about "one size taller" tires to get closer to the height of my truck). The shop got 285/75/17s either because I said that or they heard different, im not sure. The particular tire we are talking about is an open country AT II by Toyo.

If I were to go with these tires would I need to do a BMC and at minimum a body lift? Stock wheels btw.

I would just as soon have her stay with the stock tires 265/70/17 but if this isnt too much of a deal to lift her FJ and make the bigger tires physically fit on the vehicle I am okay with it... I guess.

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
With a BMC I bet you can drive around just fine. That is nearly a 34" tire. You would want a lift before any offroading or major articulation. Will be hit or miss if they clear the UCAs

16 Posts
With a BMC I bet you can drive around just fine. That is nearly a 34" tire. You would want a lift before any offroading or major articulation. Will be hit or miss if they clear the UCAs

Thank you! We ended up finding the 285/70s at a different shop for $60/tire cheaper and going that route. They look meaner than the stock highway tires for sure and it is slightly taller. I like their look enough I am going to replace the open country MTs on my truck with AT IIs.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks for this info. Very helpful.

Has anyone run 225/70/R16 's on their FJ? I have a set of BFG Winter Slaloms on steel wheels that were given to me. I'd consider using them just for the winter if it's safe to do so. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Has anyone run 225/70/R16 's on their FJ? I have a set of BFG Winter Slaloms on steel wheels that were given to me. I'd consider using them just for the winter if it's safe to do so. Thanks
Those are 28.4"x8.9"/16". You will have some reduced ground clearance issues, which is probably not what you're shooting for. Otherwise, if the wheels fit, I see no issues.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Those are 28.4"x8.9"/16". You will have some reduced ground clearance issues, which is probably not what you're shooting for. Otherwise, if the wheels fit, I see no issues.
Thanks for the reply and the info.

My big concerns are

• Whether there's an issue with the tires supporting the weight of the vehicle, or stress on the axles
  • Increased chance of a blowout
  • impact on the 4WD capabilities (Automatic Tranny)

If the above are nothing to be concerned about, I'll try them out and see what they're like. We're supposed to get a bit of snow in the coming weekend.

If my FJ looks like a low-rider, in the bin they go!!! Not my style...

Thanks again

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've found the largest tires that will fit a stock FJ are 285/70r17. Any larger and you will need to lift. Be careful though because not all 285/70 r17 tires will fit, it depends on the type of tread shape because you are cutting it very close. I put on the Pathfinder Sport AT 285/70r17 117S SL and they are working great. Excellent manners on pavement and work just fine for light/moderate off road use (they are not a serious off road tire). I pretty much just drive on fire roads to get to mountain bike trails. They are also warrantied for 60K.

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
What about when taking alignment specs with a lot of caster into consideration?
See post #1 . Too many variables to take into account - "a lot of caster" means what to you, exactly?

You need to test fit.

·
Registered
67 Posts
There's a thread here about getting the largest wheels to fit without a BMC, given the right components. Using aftermarket UCAs, a 3" lift, and +4 to +5 caster to move the wheels forward for enough clearance with regards to the body mount.

41 - 60 of 154 Posts