Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

101 - 120 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks so much for taking the time to do this!!

How much does offset play into whether or not it will "fit" I am looking at a decent negative offset. around -14. I feel like I have read every possible thread around this subject and can not get a clear answer.

I am not looking to do a lift. Getting 18" x 9" -14 offset wheels BFG AT KO2 265/70/18.

My off roading is next to zero. DON'T HATE. I LOVE my FJ. Going on my third year with it and I promised I'd do some work then. I've had BFG AT on every truck/suv Ive had. Hold up great for many years.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello

hello fellas! i want to run 33x12.50x20 tires on my FJ. i have a 3" RC lift and i did the Full body chop. not sure if i should use 20x9 or 20x10 rims with this size tire and what offset? my FJ will be a road queen no serious off roading. any help would be greatly appreciated!! thanks

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
With your set up you will have no problems
Might be a tad close to the UCA
I have the 1.25" spider trax spacers on 20x9 and have no issues
Before the spacers the top you could barely slip a finger between the arm and tire

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have read, reread, and read again. I have also used the search function for weeks. I cannot find my answer and was wondering if anyone could help me. I have a 2007 with TRD stock wheels. I have the daystar 2.5 kit installed. Is it possible for me to mount a 295/75/16 wheel with no rubbing. I am looking at the Cooper AT3's. The wheel measurement is 33.35" section width of 11.9" and a tread width of 9.21". I do not have a BMC at this time but have no qualms about doing so. Can someone help me out?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks for the great information Voight Kampff. :bigthumb: Your explanations and charts were very helpful. Now I know how to determine the actual tire dimensions based on the manufacturers tire size.

On my Iceberg White 2014 FJ I am replacing the wheels and tires with the black TRD 17" PTR20-35110-BK wheels and either the Michelin LTX A/T2 LT285/70R17 or the Michelin Defender LTX M/S LT285/70R17. These should measure a diameter of 32.7 inches. My FJ is stock and the new TRD wheels are 7.0 inches wide vs. 7.5 inches for the stock wheels. The original tires 265/70R17 should have a diameter of 31.6 inches.

Most of my driving is highway and most of my off road use is on the beach. I don't need a real aggressive tire but want to go larger to the 285/70R17. What are your thoughts with the TRD 7 inch wide wheels and the 285/70R17 tires on an FJ with stock suspension and no BMC?

·
Registered
107 Posts
You will probably rub.

Don't worry about the wheel width; you'll be fine.
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping that only going about 1.1 inches up in diameter the tires would not rub. I don't want to rub and I'm not ready to change the suspension at this time. Where do you think I will be making contact? I really was hoping to go up a size in tires. Sounds like I will need to rethink this. I appreciate your input.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I wish I could know for sure. I will be buying tires in the next week and cannot afford to replace them if they rub. Due to the unknown I'm leaning towards the stock size... just not sure.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks VK for your time and effort on this topic!

Current set up on my '14 TTUE:
King 3" lift - front
Total Chaos UCA
2" Icon springs - rear
BMC
285/75/16 BFG KO2s on TRD wheels
1.25" Spidertrax spacers

Is it ok to pull the trigger on 315/75/16 Nitto Trail Grapplers on the TRD wheels?
Any issues when airing down?
Is regearing a must with this size?
Or should I go with an aftermarket wheel and any recommendations on brand/specs? (I do prefer a wider stance than my present set up)

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Cutting it close with 315s. That's almost 13" wide.

Make sure your tire shop will let you test fit first. You might have to become very proficient with a hammer and Sawzall.

As for airing down, the TRD wheels tend to hold a bead pretty well. 16PSI should be no problem. I don't know if I'd go much below that.

Regearing? It depends upon where you live. My trips to Tahoe in my pickup were third-gear affairs until I went with 4.88s.

If you go with a different wheel, my faves are the SCS - quality, price, proper fit, (subjective) great looks. Change your offset, to push that big tire away from your UCAs and body.

IMHO, don't buy a wheel that you have to use a hub centering ring on. Those are a huge pain when you start to do lots of tire changes. The plastic ones break, and the aluminum ones that you have to pound on tend to corrode and get stuck.

Good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Great site guys and awesome compilation of information. Thanks for the work put in for it saves many of us time and energy trying to figure this stuff out.
I just lifted/leveled my 2016 Tundra and now it looks like my wife has a little size envy. She has a 2007 FJ 4x2.
So I want to give her a little 2-3" lift and new tire wheel upgrade. I want to avoid any BMC or major costs for this is just a cosmetic upgrade for her.
If I threw a couple inches of spacer lift on there what tire diameter could I get away with in a 17/18" wheel diameter without a BMC?
Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
The biggest tire that will fit a stock FJ with stock wheels (17" x 7.5" wheels, 15mm offset, 4.84" backspace) are P285/70 R17. That being said, not all tire brands of this size will fit. Because this size is pushing the limit of the stock suspension, tire shape and tread type make a difference. I'm running Pathfinder Sport AT tires and they work fine with no rub. Not super aggressive, but handle moderate off road and snow well. They are also fairly quiet and smooth on the highway and are reasonably priced.

101 - 120 of 154 Posts