Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

121 - 140 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
anyone running 295/70 or 305/65R17 with 3" lift kit?
i have method wheels true beadlock and 1.25" spidertrax.

pictures??

Thanks!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey guys, I need some help. I've read this entire thread at least twice including numerous others and still can't seem to figure out what size tire to go with.

I just had a 3' BDS lift installed on my 13' FJ and I absolutely love it. I currently have 265/70/17 Duratracs on but would like to go larger. I was planning on buying new wheels as I'd also like to have some cool black rims.

So my question is.... what is the largest tire I can go with without a BMC? I was planning on purchasing a 17' wheel with -12mm offset and have been doing research based on those numbers.

From reading on the forums I saw 285/70/17 was a good size but I went to big o and they put some on and I was unimpressed. They said that was the biggest I could go....

Also I'm pretty sure I would like to stick with and All terrain type tire. I don't do enough off reading to need mud tires that will drive me nuts when I drive on the highway to work.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
So I may have just answered my own question. I think I'm going to go with Mickey Thompson 17x9 (4.5 backspace) with -12 mm offset. Then add MT ATZP3 305/65/17. According to my research, they should fit because they are actually shorter than the 295/70/17s. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Front wheels turn.

So you need to watch widths and offsets, too.

Lift or not, you are running into BMC territory with a 305.

Don't ask me if it will fit. It's not my job to figure that **** out for you. I posted up the charts. That's as much work as I'm going to do.

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
And, I should add, spent a lot of time making a very clear explanation in the VERY FIRST POST on now to figure this **** out for yourself.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I only know my experience, not an expert. On my first FJ I ran Dick Cepek 17x9 -12mm DC 1's with Mickey Thompson 33X12.50'S MTZ's. Had a 3" inch lift with no bmc. Very very minute rub in reverse full lock on slope "no bmc". Don't worry about getting mud tires like the mtz they aren't much louder than an all terrain, get about the same mileage and look so much more badass... and the chick's dig it.

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Biggest difference in your mileage is wind resistance - how fast you drive on the highway. I did the math and everything.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I only know my experience, not an expert. On my first FJ I ran Dick Cepek 17x9 -12mm DC 1's with Mickey Thompson 33X12.50'S MTZ's. Had a 3" inch lift with no bmc. Very very minute rub in reverse full lock on slope "no bmc". Don't worry about getting mud tires like the mtz they aren't much louder than an all terrain, get about the same mileage and look so much more badass... and the chick's dig it.
Thanks man! I actually went with the 295/70/17s with a -12 offset and they fit great. I have a Minor run when reversing and fully cranked. I love the MT ATZs!

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi first of all a very informative thread.

My rims are 18x8 offset 0. I'am thinking of using 285/60x18 tires. Would this setup have any rubbing issues on a stock height Cruiser? I dont want to do any modifications or suspension lift to the cruiser.

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Setup - '13 4WD, 3" OME liift, BMC. I would like to run 35x12.5 BFG KO2s. I read the guidelines and I meet the lift and BMC criteria. The guide says I may need spacers, but that's relative to what? The factory wheels (17 x 7.5) have 3.5" backspace, if I recall correctly. I'm looking to run 17x9s with 4.5" backspace (0 offset), so that's 1" extra spacing compared to the factory wheels. Will that be enough for the 35" KO2s?

The high clearance is for travel over snow on unplowed roads, not rock crawling, so large articulation is not an issue for my use.
Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 2012 had ultra motorsport mavrick wheels when I bought it. Tiresport lists them as 17 x 8 with 10mm offset. I want to go with a 275/70-17 tire. The chart says might fit without BMC. The thing I'm not sure of is the offset. If I remember right the stock wheels are listed as 17x7.5 with a 15mm offset. I'm wondering if the 3/16" offset makes enough of a difference to avoid rubbing.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
My 2012 had ultra motorsport mavrick wheels when I bought it. Tiresport lists them as 17 x 8 with 10mm offset. I want to go with a 275/70-17 tire. The chart says might fit without BMC. The thing I'm not sure of is the offset. If I remember right the stock wheels are listed as 17x7.5 with a 15mm offset. I'm wondering if the 3/16" offset makes enough of a difference to avoid rubbing.
stock 17 x 7.5 wheels have a 4.84" back spacing. A 17 x 8 with 10 mm positive offset will have 4.89" (8+1)/2 + .39 = 4.89" backspacing. I would think you would be just fine with a 275/70/17 on a 4.89" backspaced rim.

·
Registered
25 Posts
stock 17 x 7.5 wheels have a 4.84" back spacing. A 17 x 8 with 10 mm positive offset will have 4.89" (8+1)/2 + .39 = 4.89" backspacing. I would think you would be just fine with a 275/70/17 on a 4.89" backspaced rim.
Do you think I could go to a 285/70-17? There are a lot more choices in that tire size.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Do you think I could go to a 285/70-17? There are a lot more choices in that tire size.
do you have a lift? or stock height. If stock height...the answer is that with 285 70 17s you might have rubbing depending on brand of tires and actual diameter (likely have if you do any offroading with any sort of flexing or stuffing the tire up into the fender.

p.s. there are plenty of guys on the forum that can/will chime in that they have no problems running a 285 70 17 on a stock setup.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a set of Toyo Open Country R/T's 295/70/17's. They are very quit. I have a 3.5 Icon Stage II suspension. I have them off road yesterday on some rocky Nevada trails and they performed fine. I will update everyone when I take them on dunes and rock crawling. The only thing I noticed is that they are a little floaty at high speeds 65 MPH plus.
My previous set of tire were Mickey Thompson Baja Claw Radials 305/65/17s, I loved them but the were way too loud for long road trips. I ought them at Discount Tire, Great service and a competitive price.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for this post Voight!

Did a lot of searching, until I found this post.

Pretty stoked to be getting my 2012 TT fitted next week. Going with a 3" Toytec BOSS lift, New SPC Adjustable UCA's, 1.25 spidertrax spacers, the insain fab BMC kit and 315/75/R16 KO2s. Based on the info here I should be in good shape. Thanks for all the help fellas.

121 - 140 of 154 Posts