Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

141 - 154 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
I bought a set of Toyo Open Country R/T's 295/70/17's. They are very quit. I have a 3.5 Icon Stage II suspension. I have them off road yesterday on some rocky Nevada trails and they performed fine. I will update everyone when I take them on dunes and rock crawling. The only thing I noticed is that they are a little floaty at high speeds 65 MPH plus.
My previous set of tire were Mickey Thompson Baja Claw Radials 305/65/17s, I loved them but the were way too loud for long road trips. I ought them at Discount Tire, Great service and a competitive price.

I ran these exact same tires through the jungle of Guatemala in 110km of pure mud and they performed exceptionally well! And this was with about 50,000 miles clocked on the tires. The Toyos are

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TjaltbtMgWE[URL] But I recently upgraded to 35x12.50R17 in the KM2s. It was the only brand I could find that was affordable here but I'm not complaining! [IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171031/8416af66b3d14dedac87699a57d8269a.jpg[/IMG] Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Great post, read the hole thread, I think I am ok with my plan.

Looking at:
(5) LT285/70/17 Toyo AT IIs
(5) 17x8.5 ET0 Method NV (MR30578560500) any similar with center bore matching the hub?
I know OEM is 265, can I get away with 285 w/o lift?
This is a daily/work truck, looking for good all around tire, wet, snow, pavement.
Was also looking at OEM Steelies.
Spacers, worse or help? I do like the look. All-Pro or Spidertrax would purchase.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Figure I’ll ask here since questions seem to get answered in this thread. I have an icon lift with tubular delta joint arms and I’m looking to get a set of 295/70 tires. I’ll probably be getting a set of method wheels. 17x8.5 with 0 backspace and either 295/70 trail grapplers or duratracs. I don’t have a bmc at the moment. Could I run this setup for a little while before getting the bmc? I’m guessing the bmc will definitely be needed. How aggressive will it need to be?

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Figure I’ll ask here since questions seem to get answered in this thread. I have an icon lift with tubular delta joint arms and I’m looking to get a set of 295/70 tires. I’ll probably be getting a set of method wheels. 17x8.5 with 0 backspace and either 295/70 trail grapplers or duratracs. I don’t have a bmc at the moment. Could I run this setup for a little while before getting the bmc? I’m guessing the bmc will definitely be needed. How aggressive will it need to be?
I was told if you bump your alignment, caster to max positive (around 4*) it could clear. I think you'll run into problems with full lock to lock turning without the BMC. If you can live with that before getting a BMC, then it's worth a try. Worst case, you'll have to do the BMC sooner than later.

·
Registered
8 Posts
'nother great tire size thread, one that actually helps. Will come back to it after levelin' the rig.
First have to wear some rubber off the tires to justify/account for the new tires (and not just a change in size).

>:D>:D

·
Registered
137 Posts
I put bilstein 5100s on my 2010. Otherwise its stock. It did raise the front 1.5”. What I’m looking for may be in the 14 pages of this thread, my apologies if so. I have been racking up miles for the last 18 months, taken it from 120,000 miles to 175,000. Probably continue to drive it like this until Aug. I put Yokohama ATs on it 50,000 miles ago stock size. Going to get rid of the Yokohama’s this summer.
I plan on wheeling it a lot more this year. I’m still getting 20 mpg, and like getting around that mileage.
Question, (finally right) can I go up a size due to the 5100s? What size would safely not rub? I’ll find the right tire, once you experts let me know what size I can run.
Thx

·
Registered
137 Posts
I’m guessing the 1.5” I gained in front with the Bilstein 5100s won’t make much difference. I’ll stay with stock tires. Or, has everyone just moved over to FB?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Great thread, thank you for all the info. If I understand correctly the 17x9(-12) offset rims I want and the 295/70/17 nitto ridge grapplers should fit. I have a 3 " lift, but no BMC. Am I correct, or will I need the BMC? Not really off reading, more a daily driver. Thanks for the clarification

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Great thread, thank you for all the info. If I understand correctly the 17x9(-12) offset rims I want and the 295/70/17 nitto ridge grapplers should fit. I have a 3 " lift, but no BMC. Am I correct, or will I need the BMC? Not really off reading, more a daily driver. Thanks for the clarification

Im checking out the same tire. Ridge Grapplers. But I am Full stock 17s So im looking at the 285/70-17s. Just not sure if they will rub or not. I know i have found out that the 285/70-17 BFG KO2s will not rub on stock suspension and stock wheel (NO BMC) So those will be my second choice of tires. But if the Ridge Grapplers also do not rub (by others having the same situation) then I would get those.

You have a Lift, but I have read, you would also need a BMC. Unless im wrong and its only if you also have wheel spacers..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just an update for anyone who may be interested. I ended up going with the 285/70/17 general grabbers. Great tire and have no complaints. Unfortunately, I do have a bit of rub even with the 3" lift. Seems to rub only in reverse and at full turn. Doing the bmc to take care of it

·
Registered
69 Posts
You may also need mess with alignment. I had same size Durattac tires put on and had BMC. Still slight rub. Playing with the alignment moving the wheels forward resolved it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there, looking for info on the trd rims from the sema concept truck

I want to keep my truck stock.....its my commuter. Would love to upgrade from the stock rims to the trd pro. Ive hear the backspacing pushes the tire out slightly further?

Anyone run these on stock height with a 275/70 r17? Rubbing?

Really appreciate the help

Attachments

141 - 154 of 154 Posts