Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started up the FJ this afternoon and noticed that I had a check engine light and ALL the traction control lights (4 of them) were lit up. Stopped by an independent dealer, but for some reason he didn't have a code reader that could read the FJ. Seems to drive ok, but, I'm going to have to take it into the dealer tomorrow. :(

Anyone have a guess what might be the problem?

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Possibly broken sensor or a break in the common bus circuit. Dunno, I know MattMainster had a simaler problem and it didn't show codes on the scanguage either. Hope it turns out to be cheap and easy.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Have you took a look under the hood? Unplug the battery and plug it back in? I don't know, just that I would do that if it happens to me.

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
If you unplug the battery, turn on the headlights (to drain residual current from the electronics), wait a minute or 2, then plug the battery back in, you have just reset your ECU. See if that works. If not, get to a dealer that knows what an FJ is. It could be minor, it could be NOT minor.

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
If you have a rear diff lock button, make sure that is not engaged. I ran into that one last New Years Eve.

Kim

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
If this happened after a period of time in which the FJ was parked, be sure to check your fuel cap. Remove it and re-install it.

Just for fun, make sure your transfer case lever is truly engaged in 4x2 Hi by shifting it down and then back into 2 HI (in case that sensor is gettin' jiggy)

The Emissions control system does an evap control system self-check after the fuel tank cools off at night. This also explains the strange hummm of a vacuum pump running if you are ever sweeping the garage about 5 hours after getting home. :)

Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
had the same thing happen after getting the vehicle back from being detailed, the detailer had inadvertantly pushed the diff lock button. No harm done, but had to have warning lites like you report reset.

·
Banned
2,364 Posts
-Hope it's something simple. I noticed that after being in HL with the A-Trac and Rear Locker on, the lights "hang" on for a variably short time. I second the idea to check your buttons, cycle through your t-case range, and if those things don't work, reset your ECU as described. Good luck!

·
Registered
428 Posts
GAS CAP! Seriously, I just took mine to the dealer for the same problem. The dealer said when the check engine light comes on, so will the traction control lights.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
If this happened after a period of time in which the FJ was parked, be sure to check your fuel cap. Remove it and re-install it.

The Emissions control system does an evap control system self-check after the fuel tank cools off at night. This also explains the strange hummm of a vacuum pump running if you are ever sweeping the garage about 5 hours after getting home. :)

Good luck
Good catch! I've totally forgotten about that.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
You might want to check the either the intake or the MAF censor cuz that happened to me and what happened was too much dust was blocking the MAF and all my lights on the dash lit up like a Christmas tree. Just clean the MAF and reinstall, and disconnect the battery to restart it. :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks, EVERYONE! You guys have just paid for my "Life Supporting Membership." ;)

I had previously opened and closed the gas cap, but did it again, and disconnected the battery to reset the ECU. Just waited a couple of minutes and everything went back to normal. I think the problem is probably gas tank/emissions related and is somehow connected to the installation of my MAF Auxillary Tank. If so, that's 2 emissions related problems w/the aux tank, so far. The other was vapor lock and engine stall if the aux tank is topped off. I have a locking cap on it now, which I never had any problems with before the aux tank was installed, but am going to put the OEM cap back on to see if that makes any difference.

Thanks, again. You guys rock!!! :rocker:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Thanks, EVERYONE! You guys have just paid for my "Life Supporting Membership." ;)

I have a locking cap on it now, which I never had any problems with before the aux tank was installed, but am going to put the OEM cap back on to see if that makes any difference.

Thanks, again. You guys rock!!! :rocker:
I still use the locking gas cap, even after my warning lights went off. If the FJ has been sitting for more than a couple of days, I'll open the gas cap to let in vent, then put the cap back on. No problems since.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Well now that's it'sfixed there is no point to offer my tried and true method to fix almost any problem on any vehicle.

1. Remove the gas cap, hold in place.
2. Drive a new vehicle under gas cap.
3. Replace old gas cap on new vehicle.

Your problem should now be fixed and hey, you didn't even have to change out THE WHOLE car!:lol::rofl::rofl::lol:

·
Banned
2,364 Posts
Well now that's it'sfixed there is no point to offer my tried and true method to fix almost any problem on any vehicle.

1. Remove the gas cap, hold in place.
2. Drive a new vehicle under gas cap.
3. Replace old gas cap on new vehicle.

Your problem should now be fixed and hey, you didn't even have to change out THE WHOLE car!:lol::rofl::rofl::lol:
I heard that it was the radiator cap.... :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Keep us posted if your cap change made a dif with the Man-a-Fre aux tank.
Nuts! :flame:

Got another check engine light today (w/the OEM cap this time) right after a tank refill -- both tanks full. Reset it by disconnecting the battery last time. Only hassle doing that is finding a place where I can turn in a circle to recalibrate the compass -- no parking lots near me, so I have to do it in an intersection. Going to carry a 10mm wrench from now on in order to reset the light on the road, if need be.

Can't remember the conditions when the tank came on the last time. I'll have remember to record the conditions here if the light comes on again to see if there's any apparent pattern. :(

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
You might want to check the either the intake or the MAF censor cuz that happened to me and what happened was too much dust was blocking the MAF and all my lights on the dash lit up like a Christmas tree. Just clean the MAF and reinstall, and disconnect the battery to restart it. :cool:
X2 - Also Uphill posted a thread about this very same thing and it was the MAF Sensor that needed to be cleaned. I cleaned mine right after I read his post. Good luck!

Tim

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
X2 - Also Uphill posted a thread about this very same thing and it was the MAF Sensor that needed to be cleaned. I cleaned mine right after I read his post. Good luck!

Tim
Thanks for reminding me about that. I'll check it out too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts