Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been looking at tire puncture repair kits that use self-vulcanising repair cords, a reamer tool and insertion needle. Does anybody have any recommendations about these kits; which are well-made and proven? What's your experience using them?

*** EDIT: Thanks for all the feedback! I've tried to capture the conclusive remarks below for an easier overview... I think I'll go for the ARB kit :)

ARB Speedy Seal:

• I've used mine twice now and works great! got it at wheelersoffroad.com for $39 bucks.
  • I have the ARB patch kit and love it. I used it twice about 10k ago and still no leaks.
  • ARB kit - works great.
  • ARB kit all the way. I like the fact that it has extra valve stem parts.
  • So far the ARB tire plug kit has worked out well for me
  • For the money the ARB kit is a great choice. The kits have everything you need and I have used it twice and can say it works very well.
  • I have the ARB kit and it works great (used it on a friend's truck the second day I had it). I like the included pressure gauge and large tub of rubber cement. Well worth the money IMO.
  • X3 (also support ARB kit)

Safety Seal's Off Road Tire Repair Kit

• Safety Seal are very nice kits....very good quality plugs/patches....and very nice tools.

Slime Tire Plug Kit:

• I used the SLIME version and it held for the life of the tire its really cheap too. I did however break the tool used to push through the hole though..this was a couple years ago.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I used the SLIME version and it held for the life of the tire its really cheap too. I did however break the tool used to push through the hole though..this was a couple years ago.

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
I scored a SLIME repair kit (with an electric pump) and a killer Fuzzy folding chair from the SLIME dude in the booth next to me at the Firestone Nationals. My stockies (tires) have held tough and I haven't had to use it yet.
The one in your post looks pretty darn slick and up to the task.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
research so far, what's being said on the internet about various products:

"Safety Seal" - Good quality needle. Only one that seem to claim their vulcanisation is permanent. Review and guide to repair here. Stresses the cord quality (nylon yarn and rubber).

"ARB Speedy Seal" - Good quality needle. Kit includes valve accessories and tire gauge.

""Bushranger Plugga" - Substandard needle (according to one review), no sliding collar.

Other observations: Shockingly varying prices for the same basic kits. Risks from bad design include needles/handles that break, probe that damages the tire steel cords, weak sealant that lets air seep into inner liner causing ply separation.... or maybe that's just vendors spreading a bit of fear, uncertainty and doubt?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
The manual states that you shouldn't use the slime stuff on tires with TPMS as it could gum up the sensor.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No no slime patch kit not the slime material tire guys will curse up a storm if they have to work with that crap!
aaaah, so it's not Ghostbuster ectoplasm :cowfrown:

·
Registered
150 Posts
If all you need is the cords and tools most local auto supplies and even wally world carries them cheap. thats what I carry and have used them successsfully over the years. they also carry replacement cords. I've had mine for about 10 years now and just replace the used cords when needed.

I already had tire gauges, compressor and the other do dads that come with most kits.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
I bought a cheap kit at advance auto. Have used it many times. Works well.

·
Registered
952 Posts
ARB kit - works great. There is no substitute for being prepared.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Safety Seal are very nice kits....very good quality plugs/patches....and very nice tools.

I use cheap ones from auto parts stores and I don't even have a spare tire....but I have OBA and beadlocks and my vehicle is light enough that I can drive on it with zero psi and still have it hold up the weight.

Personally, I'd go safety seal if you have the money. If not, get the cheapy stuff at a local supplier. It's better than nothing and will work for even the nastiest cuts....as long as you have enough plugs (I've seen someone put 42 plugs in a tire and made it work).

Sean

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
So far the ARB tire plug kit has worked out well for me.:cool:

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
For the money the ARB kit is a great choice. I know I sell them but I also use them. The kits have everything you need and I have used it twice and can say it works very well. We have several Techs that have purchased them for themselves. I looked on the SnapOn truck and the individual tools cost more from them then the entire ARB kit. The quality of the ARB is every bit as good as the SnapOn one in my opinion. Check out our vendor section for some deals on this kit. If you are going to Ouray we will have them there for you to try out.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
I have the ARB kit and it works great (used it on a friend's truck the second day I had it). I like the included pressure gauge and large tub of rubber cement. Well worth the money IMO.
X3

That's the kit I use. I also carry spare valves and valve cores.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts