Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Larger than 37" tires

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,793 Posts
Running stock - haven't found a need for a larger/wider tire yet outside of looks.

Maybe as my skill set improves Ill need something other than stock.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Bought the FJ last year with brand new 285/70/17 BFG TA KO2s. So far so good, but I was a little disappointed they only have 15/32 tread depth. Depending on how well these wear, I may end up with same size in Cooper ST MAXX or STT PRO next time or bump up one step if I ever get around to doing the BMC. My son has about 50-60k miles on his ST MAXX's on his 4Runner and they still have a ton of tread depth remaining!

·
Registered
36 Posts
For those that are running 35's, How's the fit with the factory bumper and rear window??

I've read a little about flipping the spare tire mount upside down but haven't really been able to find much other than that...

I see more and more of you guys fitting 35's, gotta be a few out there still with the stock bumpers!

TIA!

·
Registered
5 Posts
What window? LOL! I installed an adapter I got from 4 Wheel Parts and had to cut the lip off of a new spare tire mount (don't ask why I had to buy a new one) but it's working fine.

·
Registered
36 Posts
What window? LOL! I installed an adapter I got from 4 Wheel Parts and had to cut the lip off of a new spare tire mount (don't ask why I had to buy a new one) but it's working fine.

LOL Right?!?! I'm "mostly" used to all the blind spots so I needed another reason to add another! :blueblob:

Do you have pics of said adapter? Is it just s wheel adapter??

TIA again!

·
Registered
248 Posts
My experience is that most the tire manufactures lie about sizes. Most 35's measure around 33.5. My 275 75 17 trail grapplers are taller than my 35 12.5 17 BFG ATs. I recently replaced my 39.5 15.5 15 TSLs with 40 13.5 17 Open Country MTs. The Toyos are 3" taller.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Gotcha, does your window still open with that? Any side effects of the larger tire on that factory setup, weight wise?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Bought the FJ last year with brand new 285/70/17 BFG TA KO2s. So far so good, but I was a little disappointed they only have 15/32 tread depth. Depending on how well these wear, I may end up with same size in Cooper ST MAXX or STT PRO next time or bump up one step if I ever get around to doing the BMC. My son has about 50-60k miles on his ST MAXX's on his 4Runner and they still have a ton of tread depth remaining!

I had these on my F150, they were 'E' rated, and lasted way longer than I expected. Not sure if your's are 'E's, but if so I think you will be pleased with the tread life!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great post. I've got a "leveled" (1.5") FJC and am considering going to a 285/70R17 tire. I don't want any tire rub either on or off road. Maybe I should opt for the more conservative 275/70R17 tires to be safe. Your (or anyone else knowledgeable on this issue) thoughts?

·
Premium Member
728 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts

I have been researching for a while on the 285/70-17 on Stock Wheels, Stock Susp. There are certain brands that will fit with no rubbing and others that will give you some rubbing. I'm looking at the BFG KO2's in that size for my Stock FJ no BMC, no LIFT. there are other tire brands that will also fit. Her, take a look at this thread. I posted recently asking about other types of tires to see if anyone else has tried them. that thread has been around for a while though..

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/wheels-tires/163106-285-70-r17-stock-fj-cruiser.html

21 - 40 of 54 Posts