Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a stock FJ Cruser that I use 90% on the road. I have 32,000 miles on the stock all season tires. They were great on the road only. Pitifull in mud or snow. They have worn well but I expect much snow here in Ky this season (Global warming and all) and ocassionally do go off road. I don't want to go too aggressive and would still like the quiet ride. Any suggestions welcome and thanks! One more thing....what size can I safelly go to without any chance of interference?
Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
7,734 Posts
Round ones. :rofl:
check out the link in my signature, it will lead you to literally HUNDREDS of folks who have asked this same thing and all the people who have answered.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
I'm getting rid of my stock dunlops in a few days. Got sick of sliding on everything but dry pavement - "What is this tokyo drift?"

I went with the BFB All Terrain KO's in a 265/70/17. Lots of guys here on the forum have em and love em, plus you're guaranteed not to rub on the wheel well.

Another tire that guys love here is the Nitto Terra Grapplers in the same size. Cheaper than the BFGs and equal in performance and maybe better on ice and snow.

Here's a pic of the BFGs (not my FJ)

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have the Nitto Terra Grapplers in a 265/70/17 and I love them. They're pretty quiet and handle well in the rain and snow.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I'll second the BFG A/T's. I have amazing grip in the snow. Everyone on the interstate is was going 45mph last night and I was safely able to do 60mph. My stock tires were Bridgestone Dueler H/T's and were horrendous in the snow. Slightly better than my former Honda Accords all season tires.

For your style of driving, you'll be doing worlds better with any A/T tire. I wouldn't lose sleep over your decision.

John

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I would recommend Nitto Terra Grapplers (what I'm running now) or BFG ATs (what i use to run). If you do a search you'll find endless threads arguing over which of the two is better. In my opinion you can't go wrong with either. The BFG is a bit old school but proven, while the Nitto is a tad quieter I would say and handles wet and icy roads a bit better.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
A search would've yeilded a lot of answers... but, in short, the factory recommended tire size is your only safe bet. Anything larger can require more work.

The next best advice I can give you is...buy the best AT tires you can afford. And look for reviews on tirerack.com to make your final decision.

A lot of people here are fond of Nitto Terra Grapplers and BFG AT KO's.... I am bias on the BFG's for pure performance and longevity. But, a lot of other opinions will form on other tires as well. But, really you need to do some research. Perhaps search for comparisons to the Nitto and BFG's for starters.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
The Bridgstone AT Revo's would fit all your requirements. I have not found a better tire. I have BFG KO's on my syncro and they are not in the same league as the Revo's IMHO. I am going to try Wilderness AT's next.........I think.
My only experience is with AT's. MT's are another matter and I have read that the BFG's are held in high regard there.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I agree with 9mmMike.
I had the Revos on my 4Runner and really liked them.
I'm going with the new Bridgestone A/T Revo 2s within the next month or 2.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts