Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Re: WHAT??? TJ Cruiser?? WTF

So there are some way cool engineers out there yet!
https://youtu.be/bw4zxQAGU8c

Dont know that I could afford it, but [email protected] It sure is cool, and it certainly is more the FJ Cruiser style that I have loved from day one!

Oh Crap nevermind, its just some body panels on a hopped up heep. Here i thought someone really had there **** together.. Bummer..

·
Registered
273 Posts

On a side note, I was surprised recently to see how many people in the Land Cruiser off-road community do not accept the FJ Cruiser as a part of the Land Cruiser family. I mean yeah it isn't a LC but I feel an FJ Cruiser is a whole lot closer to the original FJ40s than a 200 Series Land Cruiser (aka super luxury street only SUV).
here in MT i wheel with a bunch of 80 series. They all know that they have the ultimate off road machines. they all think the FJC's are pretty cool and very capable, and i know they are jealous of the short wheelbase. But you better understand that your FJC isnt built to the same tolerances as the FJ80 LC (the ultimate off road machine). Mostly I get crap because you cant see out of the FJC.

There's like 2 FJCs in our club. alot of 4R's, alot of Tacos.

The bias is funny between different forums.

On expedition portal don't you dare knock on Tacos or 4R's. FJCs are crap because you cant see out of them and the 4R is better because it has more space. even if we get atrac and lockers from the factory on 9/10 of the FJCs built and 4Rs with RR lockers are rarer then hens teeth. And make no mention you cant see out of the back of a taco either with a campershell filled to the brim with the kitchen sink.

On Mud, dont ever ever say any thing negative about the FJ80 (aka the ultimate off road machine ever made) even if it is a fat, underpowered pig. but to be fair, I am jealous of the solid front axle.

DONT GET ME STARTED ON THE JK GUYS!

but in all seriousness those things are gone when your off in the woods.

·
Desert Moderator
6,077 Posts

So there are some way cool engineers out there yet!
https://youtu.be/bw4zxQAGU8c

Dont know that I could afford it, but [email protected] It sure is cool, and it certainly is more the FJ Cruiser style that I have loved from day one!

Oh Crap nevermind, its just some body panels on a hopped up heep. Here i thought someone really had there **** together.. Bummer..
LOL a pimped out Heep compared to a G65... Lol lol lol indeed. There is zero comparison between them.
When a G65 drives past the exhaust note sounds and feels like the end of the world is nigh. It's hard to describe. Oh - and they're reliable and just work out of the box...

·
Registered
401 Posts

Honestly, this is could be the next big thing in expedition vehicles. IF Toyota makes it body on frame and IF Toyota gives it a decent powertrain and IF they make it easy to work on, these things might fly off the lots. A hybrid engine would be a tremendous improvement to make off-roading and especially overlanding economical because the gas engine could sit at idle while the electric motors drive the tires with way more available torque. The amount of stuff you can fit in a van would be a great improvement over our FJs right now. I personally would consider buying one and keeping the FJ as a crawler while this would be my every day vehicle. Let's make vans cool again :FRO::rocker::grinbiginvert:

Vans Cool! Just like the A-Team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts

Man, that thing is hideous!

Not a fan of where Toyota seems to be going design-wise. I never got tired of looking at my clean and classic second generation 4Runner. The current model looks like a roided up WWE parody.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts

My initial reaction to the TJ Cruiser, when I saw the concept vehicle several months ago, was completely unfavorable. However, I do favor smaller vehicles for off-roading. Over the years, many vehicles have grown in size with later versions of a manufacturer’s line. Classic examples were the size of the original Ford Bronco and Chevy Blazer when compared to the last years of production. Look at Toyota Land Cruiser of the BJ and FJ-40 years (59-81) versus the larger Series 100 and 120's. The FJ Cruiser was Toyota’s answer to returning to the FJ-40 years, but the FJ Cruiser was still larger than the FJ-40. The looks (form) of the TJ Cruiser concept is a departure from the ‘animal’ type looks of the FJ Cruiser.

Putting form aside, I want to discuss function. Assume the TJ Cruiser is built on a capable 4x4 platform, adequately power with rugged high clearance (high / low range) drive train, that can perform both on road and off road. If Toyota could deliver the TJ Cruiser so it performs as well as the 2014 FJ Cruiser, current Tacoma, or current 4-Runner, then I’m open minded enough to consider the TJ Cruiser within the “Cruiser” stable. Remember when FJ Cruiser was introduced, many of the 1991-2006 Land Cruiser owners were skeptical and hostile. Toyota did not want to call it a Land Cruiser, due to fear sales of the then $80,000 vehicle would be negatively impacted.

One thing that has changed significantly in off-roading during my 39 years of being a Land / FJ Cruiser owner, has been the entry of recreational ATV vehicles on the trails. I personally believe the owners of these vehicles show less respect for the land (making tracks where vegetative recovery is difficult) and have contribute greatly to closures of trails by federal authorities. ATV popularity has impacted the sale of vehicles that have true dual on and off road performance capabilities, which may have been a factor in the demise of the FJ Cruiser.

My only interest in the TJ Cruiser is if it has comparable 4x4 capability to the FJ Cruiser.

Back to discussing form, I don’t know that I like the “van like” sliding side doors for entry into the rear seating area. However, the suicide doors of the FJ Cruiser are difficult, or impossible, to use when in a parking lot. Note that a traditional four-door design inherently require a longer framed vehicle. As long as the cabin portion of the vehicle is built rigid enough to endure the stresses of off-roading, then I’ll rely on Toyota to design the appearance of a vehicle to attract buyers.

If Toyota’s purpose for the TJ Cruiser is only to attract the young buyer with ‘transformer’ like gadgetry and driving on graded dirt roads, then I won’t be interested in this concept. If the era of fully licensed vehicles with “on and off” road purpose is at an end, then retire the name “Cruiser.”

·
Premium Member
728 Posts

Lift it, paint it black, and slap an A-Team logo on it somewhere and *voila!*... it's still a van.

·
Registered
273 Posts

My initial reaction to the TJ Cruiser, when I saw the concept vehicle several months ago, was completely unfavorable. However, I do favor smaller vehicles for off-roading. Over the years, many vehicles have grown in size with later versions of a manufacturer’s line. Classic examples were the size of the original Ford Bronco and Chevy Blazer when compared to the last years of production. Look at Toyota Land Cruiser of the BJ and FJ-40 years (59-81) versus the larger Series 100 and 120's. The FJ Cruiser was Toyota’s answer to returning to the FJ-40 years, but the FJ Cruiser was still larger than the FJ-40. The looks (form) of the TJ Cruiser concept is a departure from the ‘animal’ type looks of the FJ Cruiser.

Putting form aside, I want to discuss function. Assume the TJ Cruiser is built on a capable 4x4 platform, adequately power with rugged high clearance (high / low range) drive train, that can perform both on road and off road. If Toyota could deliver the TJ Cruiser so it performs as well as the 2014 FJ Cruiser, current Tacoma, or current 4-Runner, then I’m open minded enough to consider the TJ Cruiser within the “Cruiser” stable. Remember when FJ Cruiser was introduced, many of the 1991-2006 Land Cruiser owners were skeptical and hostile. Toyota did not want to call it a Land Cruiser, due to fear sales of the then $80,000 vehicle would be negatively impacted.

One thing that has changed significantly in off-roading during my 39 years of being a Land / FJ Cruiser owner, has been the entry of recreational ATV vehicles on the trails. I personally believe the owners of these vehicles show less respect for the land (making tracks where vegetative recovery is difficult) and have contribute greatly to closures of trails by federal authorities. ATV popularity has impacted the sale of vehicles that have true dual on and off road performance capabilities, which may have been a factor in the demise of the FJ Cruiser.

My only interest in the TJ Cruiser is if it has comparable 4x4 capability to the FJ Cruiser.

Back to discussing form, I don’t know that I like the “van like” sliding side doors for entry into the rear seating area. However, the suicide doors of the FJ Cruiser are difficult, or impossible, to use when in a parking lot. Note that a traditional four-door design inherently require a longer framed vehicle. As long as the cabin portion of the vehicle is built rigid enough to endure the stresses of off-roading, then I’ll rely on Toyota to design the appearance of a vehicle to attract buyers.

If Toyota’s purpose for the TJ Cruiser is only to attract the young buyer with ‘transformer’ like gadgetry and driving on graded dirt roads, then I won’t be interested in this concept. If the era of fully licensed vehicles with “on and off” road purpose is at an end, then retire the name “Cruiser.”
i agree about the ATV's. those things are also very dangerous. helped rescue three of them this summer, almost closed a trail here because two people died in one...

but your wrong about them contributiong to the demise of the FJ cruiser.

the FJ was a limited run vehicle according to a toyota guy they interveiwed on ih8mud..cant find the thread. only a 7 year vehicle in the us

·
Registered
1,460 Posts

From the Motor Trend article:

Why did Toyota name it the Tj Cruiser? Not just to make it sound as close as possible to FJ Cruiser. Toyota says the “T” stands for “toolbox” and the “J” stands for “joy.”

This tells me that it is not intended to replace the FJ. Which is good because it doesn't look like it could come even close.

·
Registered
393 Posts

toyota should sell this sketch to Honda. Looks like the style they are offering these days.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Whos mans came out and decided you know what? I'm going to make a van, but it's going to be more than a van. Then drew this up lol.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts

It's no FJ that's for sure but it does have good approach and departure angles.

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
125 Posts

yeep agree to where others are against!?! Saving my bucks trading for horses! Taking the roof of that thing or whatever it is and hauling ??? You know what!! Free toilet paper whoever figured this out!!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts