Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am in the market for my first FJ and I've read the buyers guide and have been debating whether to buy a base model with the locking rear diff and A-Trac or buy a TRD Edition or Trail Teams. It seems I can get a good deal on an 07 to 08 Base with the features I want. Then I am free to build it how I please. For the TRD or TT is it worth paying a little more for not so much more? I know I am going to want to add specific parts to it, wheels, tires, bumpers and suspension. I am leaning more towards a base because of what I want to do with the FJ. Does anyone have any insight to this?

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
TT if you want the paint matched roof. IMO, FJs look better with the matched roof.

·
Premium Member
4,750 Posts
I am in the market for my first FJ and I've read the buyers guide and have been debating whether to buy a base model with the locking rear diff and A-Trac or buy a TRD Edition or Trail Teams. It seems I can get a good deal on an 07 to 08 Base with the features I want. Then I am free to build it how I please. For the TRD or TT is it worth paying a little more for not so much more?
There are no mechanical upgrades or benefits to a TRD / Trail Teams over a correctly optioned base truck. It's an appearance package: color-matched roof, blacked-out plastics, color-matched seats. That's it.

If you want to save some money but still have the Trail Teams look, the best way to do that is to buy a white FJ of any year (where the roof already matches) then black-out the plastics. The black-out kits are ~$1000 or so if you buy everything together. For any other color, you'll have to do something non-standard with the roof and getting it to look right under close inspection is never cheap.

Expect to pay ~$3000-5000 more for a comparable Trail Teams than any given year's base truck. Is there a specific color that you love, that was a Trail Teams color for one of the years?

"It's always cheaper to do it right than it is to do it twice." I didn't buy the first FJ the dealership recommended to me because I knew that every time I saw the FJ I should have bought, I would kick myself. So I waited, bought the right truck and overpaid a little (this was right after the tsunami in '11). No regrets.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info! I wasn't sure about the TRD / TT benefits. Learning it's just cosmetic pretty much helps me decide a Base is the way to go. I could use the money saved for upgrades.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts