Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am at this point with my Fj that I want to do a lift. My Fj is a daily driver and on occasions I'll take it on easy to moderate rated trails, it'll usually see forest service roads more often. I want a system that benefits me in the long run rather then short run and also achieves a more aggressive look. The ride should feel stock, also. I've looked and looked and I can't find the comparison I'm looking for. Options I'm looking at are: OME, Bilstein 5100 and Rough Country 3 inch. Originally I was set on for the OME system but price became a huge factor. So I looked at others and narrowed it down to the Bilstein 5100 shocks (front and rear) and rough country lifts. With the Bilstein's, it’ll level my truck out when set at the proper height and gives me room to upgrade if needed. When setting the front to a max of 2.5" stiffin the ride? I drive a lot of people and some feel the Fj is stiff stock. So, I’m not sure if it will be the best option. I was about to buy the rough country but I found numerous articles stating that since this lift does not address the front coils it creates an imbalance from the front to rear. This causes the truck to be stiff in the rear and soft in the front. Also, allows the truck to wander more then I'd like it to (I believe it's caused by caster issues?). So all in all, considering my budget would maxed by buying OME would the other options be better or will the OME benefit me better in the long run?

Thanks and I appreciate the advice in advance!

·
Registered
476 Posts
I am in the same predicament of deciding what to do. From what I have read the OME is best suited for alot of off roading with the capability of handling the extra weight of a heavier front bumper and winch. From what I have read the spacer lifts that install on top of the front strut (as opposed to spacers that install on top of the front spring) and on top of the rear spring tend to preseve the stock ride, are the most economical to buy but do not help the suspension to handle off road terrain. The Bilstein 5100 seems to be the most pratical because they can adjust as your FJ evolves, they are priced in the middle of OME and a spacer lift and help the suspension to handle off road terrain. It may not be necessary to go the full 2.5" in the front to level. Later on if you add a heavier front bumper and/or a winch you may need to adjust up to the full 2.5" and if the rear sits low you can add a spacer in the rear to level with the knowledge that rear Bilstein 5100 is designed to accomodate the lift. Good luck with your decision! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the Bilstein's seems to make more sense. I can do the Bilstein 5100 and I can add OME coils later to get a better lift, which seems really doable. Don't think I'll be doing bumpers, maybe, maybe a winch for insurance. My plan is to keep the truck close to stock with minor adjustments for better performance on road and off road, while looking really cool. Thanks a bunch! I'll keep on doing more research and I'll let you know what happens.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi Don and Bill, I agree with you guys on the 5100. The reasons are.. 5100 internal valving is designed to work with your factory spring rate. The factory spring on FJC is progressively rated and with progressive rate springs, as you change the height setting, even you add pre-load to the spring raising the height to max, the spring still have good performance match with the 5100 internal valving setting.

Don pointed out that most of his off-roading will be on forest service roads, the 5100 can perform well and beyond most service road conditions and keep a relatively good ride on pavement. I think both of you guys leaning towards the 5100 setup is one the right track! :cheers:

·
Registered
937 Posts
For budget reasons I would skip installing just a mild performance shock and keeping stock shocks. The stock shocks you have now are matched as well to the stock springs. Running the truck on forest service roads here in the PNW you will not experience shock fade with the stock shocks. You indicate you don't want a stiffer ride, it will be with a 5100. (not harsh but it will be stiffer)

We normally don't suggest spacer lifts. (don't even sell them) But in this case from what you have stated "More aggressive look, but the ride should feel stock" This is the closest you can get. I would just do a real basic spacer system using your stock shocks at this point. This way if you find yourself getting into more trail running and want to take it up a notch you are not out much if you move to a true off road performance suspension.

I have driven allot of FJ's set up with different suspensions. Stock shocks/springs with a small spacer fits what you are asking. And they are cheep.

If the budget opens up down the road the best performance suspension that fits this request is a 2.5" ICON coil over in the front and OME shocks and springs in the rear.

Good luck with your search!

Mark

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Don and Bill, I agree with you guys on the 5100. The reasons are.. 5100 internal valving is designed to work with your factory spring rate. The factory spring on FJC is progressively rated and with progressive rate springs, as you change the height setting, even you add pre-load to the spring raising the height to max, the spring still have good performance match with the 5100 internal valving setting.

Don pointed out that most of his off-roading will be on forest service roads, the 5100 can perform well and beyond most service road conditions and keep a relatively good ride on pavement. I think both of you guys leaning towards the 5100 setup is one the right track! :cheers:
Yeah, I basically ruled out the rough country because the benefits in the long run aren't as good as the other options. The 5100 setup is definitely an option. Thanks!

For budget reasons I would skip installing just a mild performance shock and keeping stock shocks. The stock shocks you have now are matched as well to the stock springs. Running the truck on forest service roads here in the PNW you will not experience shock fade with the stock shocks. You indicate you don't want a stiffer ride, it will be with a 5100. (not harsh but it will be stiffer)

We normally don't suggest spacer lifts. (don't even sell them) But in this case from what you have stated "More aggressive look, but the ride should feel stock" This is the closest you can get. I would just do a real basic spacer system using your stock shocks at this point. This way if you find yourself getting into more trail running and want to take it up a notch you are not out much if you move to a true off road performance suspension.

I have driven allot of FJ's set up with different suspensions. Stock shocks/springs with a small spacer fits what you are asking. And they are cheep.

If the budget opens up down the road the best performance suspension that fits this request is a 2.5" ICON coil over in the front and OME shocks and springs in the rear.

Good luck with your search!

Mark
Mark, I would love to do the Icon lift in general. Haha.. I've been to Walker Valley and I still want to do trail systems once in a while but nothing as hard as Walker. I'm leaning towards OME because although its pricey the long run benefits are far greater. I was about to get the OME lift from metal-tech but the sale price ended.. Wah wah wahhhhhhhhh.. I'll be shopping around once again and look at all the systems. Spacers don't appeal to me just because I feel as it's a band aid to something that needs stitches. Right? Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
937 Posts
Yeah, I basically ruled out the rough country because the benefits in the long run aren't as good as the other options. The 5100 setup is definitely an option. Thanks!

Mark, I would love to do the Icon lift in general. Haha.. I've been to Walker Valley and I still want to do trail systems once in a while but nothing as hard as Walker. I'm leaning towards OME because although its pricey the long run benefits are far greater. I was about to get the OME lift from metal-tech but the sale price ended.. Wah wah wahhhhhhhhh.. I'll be shopping around once again and look at all the systems. Spacers don't appeal to me just because I feel as it's a band aid to something that needs stitches. Right? Thanks for the feedback!

The ICONs are nice for sure, we are currently putting all ICON's on our company truck. You are absolutely correct spacers are a band aid, I only suggest them when people are looking for the look, but want a stock like soft ride and keeping the cost down. $ for $ the OME kit is the best value out there right now for performance/value. Yes still not cheep but it is a system that will keep working for you AND a company that is first rate in supporting their products.

I know Blain is a bit of a haul down to Renton but if you found yourself headed down that way, we can will call you an OME kit so you don't pay any shipping AND since you are buying it out of Oregon, there is no sales tax:rocker: If you wanted to go OME.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The ICONs are nice for sure, we are currently putting all ICON's on our company truck. You are absolutely correct spacers are a band aid, I only suggest them when people are looking for the look, but want a stock like soft ride and keeping the cost down. $ for $ the OME kit is the best value out there right now for performance/value. Yes still not cheep but it is a system that will keep working for you AND a company that is first rate in supporting their products.

I know Blain is a bit of a haul down to Renton but if you found yourself headed down that way, we can will call you an OME kit so you don't pay any shipping AND since you are buying it out of Oregon, there is no sales tax:rocker: If you wanted to go OME.
Blain? I can definitely head down to Renton sometime. Is there a way to contact you in private? It seems like I've made the decision to go OME. :clap:

·
Registered
937 Posts
Blain? I can definitely head down to Renton sometime. Is there a way to contact you in private? It seems like I've made the decision to go OME. :clap:
Ops I thought your city was Blain up by Canada! Ya just shoot me an e-mail mark at metaltech4x4.com happy to help out.

Mark

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hi Don,

Glad to read that you got out of "what to do?" and are going for the OME.

Hi FJfootwork and Mark,

Thank you for the feedback. I just decided on tires that are 265 70 17 Toyo Open Country MT's for the purpose of getting into off roading. Since I am staying with the stock tire size I might replace the Tokicos with TRD Bilsteins (red with the blue boots) and a 1" spacer in the front to level. Otherwise, I will go with the 5100's.
My beginning offroading will be fire roads, Rubicon type trails (not the actual Rubicon) and Nevada desert.

Maybe by the time I wear these tires out I will really be into offroading and will step it up with bigger tires, replacement coil overs, rear shocks and springs. :bigthumb:

Bill

1 - 10 of 10 Posts