Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking into buying a used FJ soon, I have max $23k to spend on the FJ but Im looking to spend no more than $20k. I have found one that is a 2007 4X4 with 74k miles and the dealer is asking $16.9k, i could porbably bargain this to $16k but the only thing im worried about is the miles. Im planning on keeping this thing for the next 7-10 years, pretty much i want to keep it as long as possible. What should I look for and what would be the best deal for me with this amount of bankroll.

· Registered
245 Posts
I'm very surprised you found one with that low of mileage for $16.9K. Get a vin history report.

· Registered
127 Posts
Agreed with above. With my searches, that is low mileage and very low price, especially from a dealer.

· Premium Member
2,046 Posts
Look for fender bulges in earlier model 2009-2007

· Registered
15 Posts
I believe some shops will take a full look through the vehicle for a couple hundred bucks. If you are set on buying it, it might be a worthwhile cost.

FYI - my alternator and catalytic converter gave out at about 90K miles. Costs seem to vary and I might have paid too much, but I paid $650 for a factory remanufactured alternator and was quoted $1500 for a factory catalytic converter. I will probably go with a cheaper aftermarket converter.

also, my front shocks are going to need to be replaced soon. Just more costs to think about. Don't know that this is too different from any vehicle with that amount of miles.

· Registered
2,409 Posts
The 07 year had a problem with rear axle ring gear failure from improper heat treating of the part during manufacture. Some held up fine while others failed in normal use.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

· Premium Member
4,688 Posts
The 07 year had a problem with rear axle ring gear failure from improper heat treating of the part during manufacture. Some held up fine while others failed in normal use.

I believe this was limited to vehicles with 2006 manufacture dates.

· Registered
2,409 Posts
I believe this was limited to vehicles with 2006 manufacture dates.
Like I said; 07 model year. Something anyone looking at an 07 should be aware of or at least research the specific production range.

· Registered
738 Posts
Definately crawl under it and check for rock/off road damage...rust, etc...look at the skids if it has them to see how banged up they are...that will give you an idea of how it was driven...

· Registered
11,663 Posts
Also, every body panel has a VIN sticker that should match the VIN of truck. Check the vin tag on the hood, fenders (inside hood on top of fenders), rear cargo door, doors, etc to make sure they all match. If not, it was in an accident and had panels replaced.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.