Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Which Transmission

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering not what your preference is, but what you actually have in your FJ, regardless of everything else, is it a manual or an automatic?

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Manual here. I have never owned an automatic. To me, it's like driving a car on auto-pilot. :lol:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Auto here, bad left knee and leg from motorcycle accident.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Manual here. I have never owned an automatic. To me, it's like driving a car on auto-pilot. :lol:

IMO driving any distance is boring in an auto.. i hate it.

But now that i'm into wheeling, i can really see it being a challenge, but even more fun.

·
Premium Member
17,123 Posts
I have the 6MT. :)

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I've put many miles on both manuals and automatics. I drove a VW that I could shift up and down through the gears without touching the clutch. Clutch was needed to start from a dead stop but that was it. The manual thing was fun for a while, but playing with the clutch/stick got old. To me it's kind of like using an sextant when GPS is available. Just because I can (no, I don't know how to use a sextant) isn't enough of a reason since I find no real enjoyment in it. I have an auto.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I like having an AT in sticky situations off road, but it is pretty boring the rest of the time.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had an automatic before the FJ and hated it. I drive better with the manual anyways, it keeps me focused on my driving.Full time 4x4 and more control is what I had to have.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
I thought this was funny when this Indy car driver was being interview on TV and was asked why his personal car was an automatic. He said, "You have to pay me to shift." I like my 5 speed auto trans...no excuses.

·
Registered
202 Posts
mt I hate being in the highway and i'm not in the gear that I want to be.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i love manual transmissions, it becomes second nature right away and you don't even think about shifting. when i drive automatic i'm practially falling asleep, it also tempts me to do other things, text drink something, read a book. etc because my hands arent doing anything. and plus you cant beat the control and options you get while driving a manual

·
Registered
127 Posts
I love my auto in my FJ. I drove a Ford Ranger with a 5 speed manual for the last 15 years and my left leg has had enough thankyou. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
wow, i'm suprised how many of you guys have manuals when it was so hard for me to find mine, great to see :D

·
Registered
804 Posts
I have auto, wanted manual, but had to wait another month for the one with my options. Didn't want to wait!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.