Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again,

I've been rethinking my previously "goals" for my FJ and wanted to ask a few questions about wheels/tires. I received some good, helpful answers, which in turn generated more questions so here I go:

My FJC will be my daily driver for a while and my off road adventures will mainly be on trails and some light rock excursions. I don't anticipate heavy rock crawling, but knowing me...I wouldn't put it past myself (eventually, not right away). Which kind of tire would best suit those needs? Should I go with all-terrain or a mud/trail tire?

Related to the question above, for the needs I mentioned, would I be better served with steel or alloy wheels? I know alloy is lighter, steel is heavier; alloy can crack, steel will bend; alloy is more expensive (generally), steel is cheaper, etc. Am I missing something in here?

Appearance-wise I still like the black wheels, possible gunmetal if I can find them or paint them that way (depending on which way I choose to go).

Based upon those noob questions and my needs, what are your opinions, recommendations, or corrections for the ill-informed?

Again, thanks in advance.

Crawfinski

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
Even light rock crawling I wouldn't go bigger than 18" rims. I have second guessed my 20" wheels numerous times but my FJ is more for the lake and beach and DD. I like 17" for the FJ. I also like aluminum wheels and have wheeled for decades and never cracked a rim. Tires as a daily driver and 4x4 I love the new Nitto's. I have 35" MTR's on 15" wheels on the TJ and the ride is good, Their a great tire. I don't like the BFG AT at all!! Cooper makes a decent AT tire that cleans good and MT tires are great in my opinion.

·
Registered
318 Posts
It all depends on your budget. But please take my advice on this one part at least. Based off of what you described, that you will be doing "some" off roading, buy a mud terrain tire. EX. Bfgoodrich mud terrain km2 or similar. I bought all terrains thinking like you, they were sold a short time later. The mud terrains now days are much quieter and longer lasting than they use to be. A mud tire as I would consider, is a super swamper or other radical style tread pattern that will not last near as long as a mud terrain.

The rims I would go with alloy if you are going with a larger heavier tire. It will help with less rolling resistance/better fuel milage. Many will probably disagree but it depends on how much money you want to spend.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I plan on sticking with the 17" wheel, maybe a 16" if I find a tire I combination I like. The biggest tires I'm looking at are about 285s. I'm comfortable spending some money on the set. I'm not going to say that "money is not an issue", but all of the tires previously mentioned are well within my budget.

Also, I didn't mean to imply I'm looking at massive swampers. I guess I meant more of all-terrain vs mud terrain. I guess more of what I'm asking there is, for example, in the Nitto line which would fit my needs better, the Terra Grapplers or the Trail Grapplers (insert your own brand line - I'm not wed to any particular brand at this point).

I'm already a little hard-of-hearing as it is, so "some" road noise isn't going to affect me all that much. I just don't want tires so loud that they will cause additional hearing loss :)

Thanks for the advice so far. Please keep it coming! I'm glad that I've found this community. I'll be even happier when I return from Afghanistan next year and can actually go wheeling with some of you!

Crawfinski

1 - 4 of 4 Posts