Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know any modification done other than the dealership by definition voids the warranty..

However, There are thousands of FJs with heavy modifications.

I wanted to know if anyone has taken their FJ in for warranty work and have been turn down because of a modification done to their rig, esp. Lifts and winch bumpers?

I had a Land Rover (no bashing cause now I have an FJ) and had a lift on it, Land Rover didnt mind at all.. And i even installed it myself. I had to replace a front axle and cv boot, and even with the lift they replaced it under warranty.

Im just hoping Toyota is as cool about it as Land Rover

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I think that you will find that ever dealer is different. I find it best to buddy up to the service manager and you will get a lot more done under warranty then they are probaly suppose to fix.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Here is some warranty stuff i cut and pasted.

Based on the Magnusson-Moss act

No aftermarket part or accessory that is properly installed on your vehicle will entirely void your original vehicle manufacturers warranty. According to the provisions in the Magnuson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act, It is the dealership's responsibility to prove that your modification directly caused or affected the failure you are trying to resolve. With that said, some dealerships are more performance-oriented than others and are more willing to work with customers.

Warranty-related materials, published by the new vehicle manufacturers, state that the installation of aftermarket parts have no effect on the warranty unless such equipment causes the problem that leads to the warranty claim. Nonetheless, some dealers have improperly denied warranty claims even though the claim had nothing to do with aftermarket parts. I.E., just because you install an exhaust system, your suspension failure warranty claim cannot be denied. If you experience a problem with an uncooperative dealership, point out the provisions of the this "FEDERAL ACT".

For more information call your vehicle manufacturer or click on the link to go directly to the Federal Trade Commission's website to find out more about this law.

You can do a search and get more info. But if you mention the act to the service manager I am sure you will hear their opinion change to "Your warranty is voided if the modification is the cause of the issue up for warranty." Or something along those lines.

Here is what you have to use if the dealer starts to get froggy when you bring in your fj for warranty work. They will not warranty the aftermarket parts but they have to be able to prove that the aftermarket part caused the toyota part to fail. So don't just be sucked into the dealer's way of selling you a part that is covered.

CAN AN AUTOMOTIVE DEALERSHIP VOID YOUR WARRANTY?

Your rights are protected through the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, 15 USC, 2302, and the Clean Air Act, 42 USA § 7541.

You have the right to buy high-quality, reliable aftermarket performance and replacement parts – an affordable and convenient alternative to the vehicle maker’s parts.
You have the right to use high-quality aftermarket parts and know that your new car warranty claims will be honored. In fact, your vehicle dealer may not reject a warranty claim simply because an aftermarket product is present. A warranty denial in such circumstances may be proper only if the aftermarket part caused the failure being claimed.
You have the right to patronize independent retail stores for vehicle parts and installation.

If a dealership denies a warranty claim and you think the claim falls under the rules explained above concerning the clean air act (such as an emission part failure), obtain a written explanation of the dealer’s refusal.

If you would like further information on what to do and who to call if your new car warranty is denied, call the Federal Trade Commission at 202-326-3128.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have done an @$$ load to my FJ and my guy (friend) at my local dealer said I'm good. He told me that the 6" lift will void warranty because you have to cut the frame. The ATrac/locker mod will void the break system warranty. He also said that miles on the odometer will void the warranty.

·
Registered
831 Posts
it really depends on the dealer, my dealer said that i could of lifted it 6 inches with 35s and they still would cover me for everything but thats because i spend alot of money there and they want to keep me there. But most dealers shouldnt have a huge problem with a 3 inch with 33's,

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have done an @$$ load to my FJ and my guy (friend) at my local dealer said I'm good. He told me that the 6" lift will void warranty because you have to cut the frame. The ATrac/locker mod will void the break system warranty. He also said that miles on the odometer will void the warranty.
What is the Atrac/locker mod?, and what wires did you have to tap into to put a switch on your DRL? and how do you do the VSC mod? What about the miles on your odometer? Bigger Tires rack less miles.. that what your talking about?

THanks alot and GOOD LOOKING RIG!, got any more pictures of that thing?

·
Registered
521 Posts
What is the Atrac/locker mod?, and what wires did you have to tap into to put a switch on your DRL? and how do you do the VSC mod? What about the miles on your odometer? Bigger Tires rack less miles.. that what your talking about?

THanks alot and GOOD LOOKING RIG!, got any more pictures of that thing?
Atrac/locker mod, In the '07 FJ you can't use Atrac and the locker at the same time, you cut into the factoy wire harness to allow both to be used at the same time. Searh the forum for it, there is a great write up with pictures.

DRL switch-I hooked up a toggle switch to the ground of the DRL relay and ran the wires to my dash. Search the forum for it, there is a great write up with pictures.

VSC-I hooked up a toggle switch to trun off the traction control. Search the forum for it, there is a great write up with pictures.

After so many miles on your car it voids the warranty. You know for example 3 years, 36,000 mile whichever comes first.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Atrac/locker mod, In the '07 FJ you can't use Atrac and the locker at the same time, you cut into the factoy wire harness to allow both to be used at the same time. Searh the forum for it, there is a great write up with pictures..
Only the early 07's, I got mine in Nov 06 and didn't need a hack. Depends on the vin number.

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
I took mine in for the brake TSB and nothing was said at all about my rig with the exception that they thought it looked awesome! I got compliments on the lift and the new tires. Toyo picked up the tab for the brake rebuild, no questions asked. I think it definitely depends on the dealer.:wave:

I know any modification done other than the dealership by definition voids the warranty..

However, There are thousands of FJs with heavy modifications.

I wanted to know if anyone has taken their FJ in for warranty work and have been turn down because of a modification done to their rig, esp. Lifts and winch bumpers?

I had a Land Rover (no bashing cause now I have an FJ) and had a lift on it, Land Rover didnt mind at all.. And i even installed it myself. I had to replace a front axle and cv boot, and even with the lift they replaced it under warranty.

Im just hoping Toyota is as cool about it as Land Rover

·
Registered
130 Posts
With the new vehicle market place being as competitive as it is, the dealer counts on doing service work to earn his living. Doing warranty work simply means that the dealer gets paid by TMC instead of the consumer. I just don't get why they'd refuse a claim at all.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Every place I go they make me sign stuff for liability cause I do a lot of work myself and nothing has been covered. Everyone in this area dont take kind to mods nevermind fjs. Like everyone else said it vary's from place to place.

·
Registered
831 Posts
the reason why they refuse warranty work is because they can only get paid a flat rate from toyota, but if they do work thats not covered under warranty they can charge what ever they charge if its 55 a hour or 95 an hour.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts