Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I get a what watt?! :jester:

Okay, now that that is out of the way.

I have a Cobra75wx and 4' Firestik antenna. I have a radio shack swr tuner. When tuning, should I set the transmission power to 20W or 200W? I am fairly confident it should not be 2000W. Yes, I know, a newbie question, and a I am. I sure hope it is 200W because it is hovering between 1 - 1.5 on all channels.

Thanks in advance for the help. And I am willing to bet Vegas Nick will be the first to respond. :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
Hmmm. He'll probably know how to answer, because CBs can only transmit 4 watts as far as I know.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that is what I understand. It appears that from the discussion I have read most have their meters set to 100W. When I set the meter to 20W and calibrated it, the meter jumped to 3; however, I didn't adjust the tip of the Firestik at all prior to the reading. The tip is screwed all the way down.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
Ok. I think I understand your question now. When tuning, you'll alternate between them. I assume you are talking about the meter itself. This may help you. It is what I used when tuning my CB.

http://youtu.be/YwFPKIjweP8

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perfect. Thanks a lot! I wasn't recalibrating when I switched to channel 40. I have to calibrate each channel separately.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
Right on. Just make sure you tune in an open area. I had trouble adjusting until I went to an open area by a reservoir. And I found a new Benchmade mini-barrage knife when I was there! Who'd a guessed?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In case others have the same question. Vegas Nick got back to me and stated that on the meter the power range of the transmitter should be set to 20W because, as Cardinal mentioned, CBs transmit at 4W. I am using the basic radio shack power/swr meter.

·
Premium Member
4,564 Posts
I tried to do this and said screw it. I took my truck into a local CB shop and explained my trouble to him with my meter. He hooked his up, which looked like it cost a fortune, and he had it tuned inside of three minutes, with broadcast testing. No charge, and he tossed my POS tuner in his electronics recycle bin for me and told me to stop by anytime for a free check up. :lol:

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I tried to do this and said screw it. I took my truck into a local CB shop and explained my trouble to him with my meter. He hooked his up, which looked like it cost a fortune, and he had it tuned inside of three minutes, with broadcast testing. No charge, and he tossed my POS tuner in his electronics recycle bin for me and told me to stop by anytime for a free check up. :lol:
And that is an awesome shop! You should give the shop some love by naming them here. There are a lot of smoke and mirror shops out there.

Also, just want to make sure you aren't mixing SWR and power output. SWR should be as close to 1 as you can get. Power output will swing to four or slightly higher if you are talking into the mic. (Modulating is what that is called) That is the purpose of the peak and tune to get the max "swing" out of it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Nick and Cardinal for the help. Got to a nice open area today and got it tuned to about 1.2-1.3 on channels 1 and 40.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
Thanks Nick and Cardinal for the help. Got to a nice open area today and got it tuned to about 1.2-1.3 on channels 1 and 40.
That's excellent!

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
I originally tried that route but all of our CB shops said they didn't do that anymore. Nice, huh? You'd think there would be more CB shops in Columbus, OH seeing as we are a major logistics hub for trucks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts