Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK you 300 lucky Ojai, CA Toyota FJ preview winners. By Sunday evening this thread should be packed with juicy FJC tidbits. Fellow members are counting on you guys and gals for any new information, especially MSRP numbers. For me personally, price is going to be the deal breaker. If Toyota will not price the FJ in the low 20's, I will wait to check out the new Wrangler in fall 2006. I am torn between the 2007 Wrangler (mid 2006) or the FJ Cruiser coming in March. From what I have read on the Wrangler, quality and fit and finish will be light years ahead of the current Wrangler. I know, I know, it's not a Toyota. But if a I can purchase the next generation Wrangler for 20K (4WD is standard), it's a no brainer.

FJC camper conversion (yes, it's photochopped)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Once again mini....we know what new and old FJ's look like. We have the resources to see every single picture of every single car on the web. Stop plugging up the threads with your pics. PLEASE!!!!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Welcome Johnny B-Rotten,
Check out toyota.com under Future Vehicles-FJCruiser for about all the information you'll find on this event. Some lucky bastages in this forum are getting to go there today to touch and feel the FJC up close. It's a regional event organized by Toyota by invitation only. I think someone said only 300 invitees plus one guest each. I've heard rumors that some of the guests are going to hog tie the Toyota reps until they get final pricing and options information.

·
Registered
22 Posts
5-hour roundtrip drive to Ojai was worth it. Lots of very enthusiastic knowledgeable folks. I'm very much a newbie when it comes to 4x4, so forgive me if I don't have the details y'all might want. And I'm sure I've already forgotten some stuff. In no particular order:

1. In attendance (100+?) included Ivan "Ironman" Stewart, FJ chief engineer from Japan, guy in charge of FJ accessories, 4x4 mag editors & assorted writers, Toyota cruiser head ad/mktg guy, head honchos from TLC and SOR, two o/r driving instructors, two hotties with ripped midriffs greeting folks, plenty of people to answer questions.

2. Two FJ Cruisers at Ojai (of a total of 6 in the USA). Looked very driveable & production-ready. Two days earlier, members of the media got to test-drive them. The one I sat in was a "sun fusion" (yellow/orange) 4x4 6-speed (I shifted all 6 gears) with std black wheels. The other was a "black cherry" (dark burgundy) with alloy wheels and I heard it was automatic. Autos are 5-speed.

3. Options: One guy said something about a Nav option (let's start rumors). I briefly spoke with a Toyota guy, driving instructor I think. He had a "cheat sheet" that listed available options. I asked to look at it, he said no, but overheard the Nav talk and said something about an compass/altimeter/inclinometer option.

4. Noticed lots of interest in the plastic bumpers. I'm guessing they come off easily. Look for sturdy aftermarket replacements soon. Maybe someone can chime-in who spoke with the FJ accessories guy.

5. DIY-ers are gonna love the easy above-access to high-up air & oil filters; clever "bib" makes for mess-free oil filter changes. Lots of underhood space. I'm no expert, but the exhaust headers look restrictive to me. Would the V8 fit?

6. Good food, I'm still feeling stuffed. Nice-quality goodie bag with stitched "FJ Cruiser" logo; T-shirt, cap, smaller toiletries bag, "Toyota Motorsports" magazine, and "Legend of Land Cruiser" CD.

7. No one's talking price.

8. Lots of people with cameras. Not me. Maybe someone else will post pix.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Did the black cherry look purple or did it look more burgandy? Sunroof option? Power windows and locks? Navi system anybody? Accessories? Tire options? Price?!?!?! Come on come on, give us the goods. I'm dying here fellas. :confused: :eek: :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
Awesome! Thanks So much for the pics. I've made my decision on color now. I'm going black cherry pearl.....or voodoo blue? damn!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'll start off with some answers to questions already on here. The black cherry looks more burgandy, actually quite nice I thought. Same as the Scion color. They had to pick a couple colors already in production since color work-up takes time. The blue and yellow are originals for the FJC but all the others are existing within the Toyota line somewhere. Hopes are to add another color next year or possibly swap out one color each year.

The automatic shifter is the same as the one shown at SEMA. Interesting and kinda neat. Interesting bit of info on the tranny/xfr case combos. The 6-speed manual will only come with a full-time 4wd system (with center visco coupling) with the ability to manually lock the center diff in high or low. The automatic will only come with a traditional part-time 4wd system. The rear diff lock will be available with either as a separate stand-alone option!

More to come... Jason

·
Registered
60 Posts
Where is everyone? Didn't more guys go to the show? I guess they're out on Sat night partying with naked girls instead of at home on the computer alone waiting for FJ info. Geez, what losers. J/K

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just got home from the SF International Auto Show. I spoke with the reps there and they confirmed "unofficially" that pricing would start ballpark $24K and go up to mid 30s loaded. Disappointing!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Elwood said:
I spoke with the reps there and they confirmed "unofficially" that pricing would start ballpark $24K and go up to mid 30s loaded. Disappointing!!!

But not suprising. People need to get over the prices manufacturers are charging. Complaining on here isn't going to help and let's face it, Toyota is going to sell buttloads of these things no matter what. Would I like everything for nothing? Sure! Buy one, or don't.

Now, back on topic... come on people... you were there all day and this is all you give us!? ;)

·
Registered
83 Posts
The story I got from the Product Manager in Ojai was that a loaded FJC will not exceed about $30k. This does not include accessories, only options and packages. The 2WD base model will start under $25k and 4WD itself will add about $1500 to the price, not including traction control, diff lock, etc. As I mentioned before, diff lock will be available separately but A-Trac will be contained within a package. Package contents were not given by anyone. The Xterra was one of the vehicles looked at when pricing was discussed, so they know it starts at under $20k, but the FJC will not be offered that stripped (manual windows, locks, etc.) so it's not really a great comparison. Navigation will not initially be offered (or ever??) but there is a Garmin GPS accessory rumored to mount over the glove box that can be removed and taken with you. This is probably similar to other handheld units already on the market; not sure to what extent it will integrate with the FJC.

Jason

·
Registered
83 Posts
A sunroof is not an option and no one was talking about any future plans. Personally, I'm not a big fan; reduces headroom and body stiffness and adds weight to the top of the rig, raising the center of gravity. That being said though, there is an impressive amount of headroom in this thing, front and rear. Rear seat passengers may find their legs cramped if the front seats are all the way back, but ingress and egress was pretty easy since the rear doors open to a full 90 degrees. Overall, the interior was much roomier than I thought it would be, visibility was good and the rear blind spot issue didn't seem that bad. The windows in the rear doors do not open or move.

There is one tire size for both wheel options. Power windows and locks are standard in all models. The accessories I saw that come to mind - roof rack with moveable crossbars, compass/altimeter/incilinometer, carpeted floor mats (rear cargo area too), tow package. I mentioned the Garmin GPS in another post. Both cars had frame mounted rock sliders that can support the FJC weight; not sure if they are standard or not. I'm sure there will be more but I didn't get much time with the accessory manager.

Jason

·
Registered
232 Posts
DesertFox said:
...6. Good food, I'm still feeling stuffed. Nice-quality goodie bag with stitched "FJ Cruiser" logo; T-shirt, cap, smaller toiletries bag, "Toyota Motorsports" magazine, and "Legend of Land Cruiser" CD...
First of all, thanks for the report! Sounds like you had a good time!

Secondly, I was thinking to myself, someone's gonna be selling those goodies on ebay and he/she surely didn't take long...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-Toyota-FJ-CRUISER-Ojai-event-promo-package-LAND_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50434QQitemZ8016417049QQrdZ1

:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 117 Posts