Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 Radiant Red FJ is one of 2500 made. Its in mint condition. What do you think it would be worth in 10 years if I can keep it in this condition?
:smile

·
Registered
999 Posts
1) Depends on how you keep it. You can lift it a 100 feet above ground, put it on steroids, scratch and dent it and brag to the community here to look cool OR treat it with respect and not try to go through deep rivers and wash it after every off road event and RISK being called a "mall crawler" !! Your choice.

2) OEM FJ40s MINT go for above 50 to 70k.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Not more than it is now. The FJ Cruiser is nowhere close to being a classic. The reason its worth a lot now is because they're still relatively new, so people are willing to spend a little bit more to get one before its old/worn out. There were a whole lot of fj's made. They're not rare by any means.

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,927 Posts
It will go down before it goes up. In ten years all the driven USED ones will be going for 5-10K I bet. If yours is still stock and super clean it will probably be worth high teens then they will start to creep back up in price like the 80 and 100 series LCs...It will probably never be worth more than the 35 grand it was new until FAR in the future...but then again, it needs to stay clean that long. Statistically a DD probably wouldnt make it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Agreed, I believe it will stay high for a couple more years. Looking at cars 10yrs out, you're in no-man's land. Not old enough to be a collector, not young enough to be a desired new car. If you're looking to cash in on the FJs rarity, you're probably looking at more like 40yrs. Even then you will probably only come out a couple % above MSRP, so from a financial view it just doesn't make sense.

But if you want to keep the FJ because it's awesome and you can run over stuff and hand it down to your grand kids, totally do that!

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
In ten years I don't think it'll won't be worth the $ in mods Ive put into it. My guess is that it'll go for free to my daughter or a good friends boy who live in West Va.
A lot depends on what happens to gas prices, Government regulations and if there is even any place left to go off road.
I think its a fools bet to buy an FJ for an investment and thats why I plan to run mine through rivers, mud holes, snow and over big rocks and sea water every chance I get and then I'll pull the 1 in 25,000 dash badge off and pass it on.

Just my 2 cents :grin

·
Registered
449 Posts
But if you want to keep the FJ because it's awesome and you can run over stuff and hand it down to your grand kids, totally do that!
Agreed!! I think being careful with it in hopes that you can sell it later is dumb. Drive it because you like it. Have fun with it. Use it for what its meant for and don't worry so much about what you paid for it or how much its worth or you'll never get the enjoyment out of it you need to. There's an awesome story behind all (well, most) of the scratches and dings on my FJ and that has more value to me than money.

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
My 2012 Radiant Red FJ is one of 2500 made. Its in mint condition. What do you think it would be worth in 10 years if I can keep it in this condition?
For guidance on what will happen to FJ prices over the next 10 years, I look to one of my other cars: Honda's S2000.

The S2000 was a fairly low production count vehicle, there are ~1/4 as many S2000's in the US as there are FJ's. The S2000 ended production in 2009, and prices have mostly flattened.

Every so often you find a dealership who has one in the showroom with 50-100 miles on it, and those that do sell usually go for MSRP or a few thousand higher. Up to 20-30K miles, they typically go in the $22-26K range depending on year/color. Up to 50-60K miles, they typically go in the $18-24K range depending on year/color/upgrades. This is for a car that retailed at $34-36K 7 years ago, so not only are you selling for under retail, you also have to factor in inflation.

But prices for them have flattened, like they have for FJ's. I'm putting ~1000 miles/year on the S2000, I put about 8K on the FJ.

Unless you keep yours in the garage and never drive it, you'll get less than what you paid for it for the forseeable future. If you don't drive it too much -- keep it under 50-60K miles -- then you should be able to get $26-28K+ for it for the next several years.

The wild card: the car manufacturers. Toyota could release a new FJ, with a soft top, half doors and a diesel engine. Jeep could say "sorry, we suck" and start buying Toyota frames/drivetrains with their bodies on top. Ford could launch a new retro Bronco.

Owning and enjoying the FJ is going to be one of the cheapest car experiences of your life, but it's not an investment. Treat it as such, and then if you ever do have to sell it, you can be pleasantly surprised at what it's still worth.

2) OEM FJ40s MINT go for above 50 to 70k.
While this is true for a very small number of pristine examples from no-rust states, you see well restored examples every day in the $20's. I'd buy any one of the number of $8-12K examples and add fuel injection, power steering and a new paint job. At that point, you're still in the low $20's. What's the extra $20K for, original paint? Meh.

Once you get too close to $50-70K the ICON FJ40's start to look affordable. Would you rather have a $50K original FJ40 than a $50K FJ UTE from Redline Land Cruisers (which is based on the FJ 80 frame/drivetrain)? If I'm going to actually wheel it, I want the UTE for the V8, fuel injection and factory lockers.

·
Registered
317 Posts
One more time...

Vehicles are not an investment 99.99% of the time.

They are an expense, how much of one depends on the vehicle, how its cared for etc.

My play for the FJ was that it does what we need it to do reliably and cost effectively while depreciating as little as possible. ( I drive it approx. 6k/yr bone stock)

If someone is using this thread to justify paying too much for an FJ, they are making a mistake

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just to add, thinking supply demand there will still be a lot of supply of FJs in 10 years. Interesting fact more than 50% of all FJs in USA were sold prior to 2008. Even taking out majority of first two years from circulation in 10 years, still leaves over 100k, that's a lot of FJs. The last of production run typically returns the most return over time.

USA TOTAL
YEAR SALES PCT
2006 56,225 25%
2007 55,170 50%
2008 28,688 63%
2009 11,941 68%
2010 14,959 81%
2011 13,541 81%
2012 13,656 87%
2013 13,131 93%
2014 14,718 100%

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Not more than it is now. The FJ Cruiser is nowhere close to being a classic. The reason its worth a lot now is because they're still relatively new, so people are willing to spend a little bit more to get one before its old/worn out. There were a whole lot of fj's made. They're not rare by any means.
^

They are way way more rare than the Jeep Wrangler.

FJ
2006 56,225
2007 55,178
2008 28,688
2009 11,941
2010 14,959
2011 13,541
2012 13,656
2013 13,131
2014 ?

Wrangler
2006 80,271
2007 119,243
2008 82,044
2009 94,310
2010 122,460
2011 141,669
2012 155,502
2013 175,214
2014 194,183

These are US numbers and do not include Canada.

·
Registered
449 Posts
^

They are way way more rare than the Jeep Wrangler.

FJ Wrangler
2006 56,225 80,271
2007 55,178 119,243
2008 28,688 84,615
2009 11,941 82,044
2010 14,959 94,310
2011 13,541 122,460
2012 13,656 141,669
2013 13,131 155,502
2014 ? 175,214

These are US numbers and do not include Canada.
What does that have to do with anything?

·
Registered
999 Posts
While this is true for a very small number of pristine examples from no-rust states, you see well restored examples every day in the $20's. I'd buy any one of the number of $8-12K examples and add fuel injection, power steering and a new paint job. At that point, you're still in the low $20's. What's the extra $20K for, original paint? Meh.

Once you get too close to $50-70K the ICON FJ40's start to look affordable. Would you rather have a $50K original FJ40 than a $50K FJ UTE from Redline Land Cruisers (which is based on the FJ 80 frame/drivetrain)? If I'm going to actually wheel it, I want the UTE for the V8, fuel injection and factory lockers.
for 50k plus they have taken it apart piece by piece and put it back in original factory shape. Every single screw/nut/bolt is new (no painted on stuff). It looks like it rolled out of the assembly line.

I have had a 1982 FJ40 for 13k.. The way I wanted it meant I spend another 20k on it. I spent about 5k on it and sold it for 18k but it was no where close to a pristine FJ40 which is why I sold it as I had no money to bring it back to its show room condition.

I am talking showroom condition of course and that is possible if you really take care of your ride even after a mudding session. LOL !
I can picture 30k for my Cruiser in about 10 years.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
If you bought an FJ hoping for it to be a collector's item, I think you're going to have a bad time. Prices are so high right now because people have been told they can't buy new ones anymore, and people want what they can't have. The same thing happens when Obama talks about gun control. Everyone runs out and buys guns, prices go up, ammo and accessories are hard to find, then everything goes back down to normal. In 10 years I think the FJs will be priced very similarly to Wranglers of the same model year.

That said, I bought mine to drive it. I'm not going to baby it, or try to keep the miles down in the hopes that it might some day be worth something.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
What does that have to do with anything?
^

It's a comparable utility vehicle. It's available in the US and there is really nothing else to compare the FJ to.

While not a hand full of produced examples, say like 2500, the FJ is a fairly limited production vehicle that should increase in value. Considering I spend 2 months out of the year, every year traveling the US attending collector car auctions I feel like the FJ will go up in value or maintain it's current value.

Lets not get into the cost of money now vs. the cost of money in 10 years and inflation rates OK :wink

·
Registered
449 Posts
^

It's a comparable utility vehicle. It's available in the US and there is really nothing else to compare the FJ to.

While not a hand full of produced examples, say like 2500, the FJ is a fairly limited production vehicle that should increase in value. Considering I spend 2 months out of the year, every year traveling the US attending collector car auctions I feel like the FJ will go up in value or maintain it's current value.

Lets not get into the cost of money now vs. the cost of money in 10 years and inflation rates OK :wink
lol. Prepare to be disappointed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am not trying to justify anything, especially to people I don't know on a message board.
I plan to enjoy it as much as possible. I too plan to put only a few thousand miles on it a year. The only reason I asked about whether it will appreciate in value or not is because people keep telling me they are going up in value since they were discontinued, and I was trying to get a better understanding of how much in demand they are.

Does anyone know what the production numbers for the FJ were for each year worldwide? They have some info in Wikipedia, not sure if those are just US numbers or not.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts