Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
There will be more than a few FJ's that people have squirreled away thinking they will be worth a fortune down the road. Things get expensive when people didn't tuck them away and they got used and abused and you found that one in 100,000 that just happened to be put away in grandpas garage and is now worth a mint. It just doesn't work the same anymore as it used to. Now everything is "collectable" when means very little actually is.

·
Vendor
1,379 Posts
I am not trying to justify anything, especially to people I don't know on a message board.
I plan to enjoy it as much as possible. I too plan to put only a few thousand miles on it a year. The only reason I asked about whether it will appreciate in value or not is because people keep telling me they are going up in value since they were discontinued, and I was trying to get a better understanding of how much in demand they are.

Does anyone know what the production numbers for the FJ were for each year worldwide? They have some info in Wikipedia, not sure if those are just US numbers or not.
Nothing I have seen.

I think last summer mine went up in value for a few months then settled back down.

What a book value says and what someone will pay are two different things. If you keep it mint (and stock) with insanely low miles someone may very well give you more than book in 10 years.

Don't rob yourself from too much fun though trying to squeeze a few bucks later :)

Again welcome to the forum :)

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,564 Posts
They'll be worth squat.

With the growing movement of electric and alternate power our relics will be worth their weight in scrap.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
32,382 Posts
Well since I don't have any idea myself, I decided to ask an expert....

The Magic 8 Ball.

Oh Great Magic 8 Ball, what will the FJ Cruiser be worth in 10 years?

....................do do do da da da.................la la la.....................

Oh Great Magic 8 Ball, what will the FJ Cruiser be worth in 10 years?

·
Registered
449 Posts
well since i don't have any idea myself, i decided to ask an expert....

The magic 8 ball.

oh great magic 8 ball, what will the fj cruiser be worth in 10 years?

....................do do do da da da.................la la la.....................

Oh great magic 8 ball, what will the fj cruiser be worth in 10 years?

this

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
They'll be worth squat.

With the growing movement of electric and alternate power our relics will be worth their weight in scrap.
^

Yeah I'm going to go ahead and call BS on this. Electric powered/Alternate power won't comprise 25% of the market in 10 years. That is a WSJ statement not mine.

Now in 50 years you might be correct. You know electric was really popular once........ It had a larger piece of the market then fossil fuel.

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
67 Posts
In ten years I'm hoping that I will still have this FJ and I wont care what its worth because I will still be wanting to drive it,,,still driving that 03 Harley that I bought new and don't really give much thought to what that's worth either...I see a trend here...buy it...take care of it ....drive it

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Maybe not collectors items, but
I don't think any Toyota will be similarly priced to a comparable Chrysler product in 10 years.
That's interesting because 2007 Wrangler Rubicons are going for the same price as 2007 FJs, and they're just about 10 years old right now.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I bought my first FJ in 06 and drove it to 2015 , just bought a 2014 to keep on going. I sure as hell hope they come out with another FJ or Diesel Land Cruiser in the next 10 years or I don't know what ill do !

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
If you bought an FJ hoping for it to be a collector's item, I think you're going to have a bad time. Prices are so high right now because people have been told they can't buy new ones anymore, and people want what they can't have. The same thing happens when Obama talks about gun control. Everyone runs out and buys guns, prices go up, ammo and accessories are hard to find, then everything goes back down to normal. In 10 years I think the FJs will be priced very similarly to Wranglers of the same model year.

That said, I bought mine to drive it. I'm not going to baby it, or try to keep the miles down in the hopes that it might some day be worth something.

Ummm. Same as a wrangler. Hmm, let me see the adds in my head.

2007 wrangler

3rd tranny
Nothing works, but it looks mint. Never offroaded

2007 FJ

Everything works, on original tranny and engine. Does not leak, runs well.

Maybe not quite, but old 4runners still demand a high price.

Cheers

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
You can't factor out the buyer who purchases on emotion- "I want that exact FJ and am willing to pay whatever it costs to get it".
Exactly. It will be worth the amount the buyer wants to give you for it! ;)

·
Premium Member
1,412 Posts
Well, I compare the FJ to the Land Rover Defender.
They stopped importing to the US in '96, if you can find a nice one with reasonable miles today they go for $35,000 or so.
Not a AC Cobra, but not bad for a problematic marque selling to a niche market.
The FJ is a very unique vehicle and there are a lot of folks like us that are very devoted to the truck.
I believe that the FJ's, especially the TT's and pristine ones, will be worth what we paid for them in 10 years or so.
That said, I love my FJ's and I enjoy the ride as much or more than anything that I have ever driven!!
So, what ever they will be worth, they will have been worth it!!
gm

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Right now the FJ is the highest valued used vehicle between 89 to 91% of the original value. We just traded our 07 (bought in 06) and got a high trade in value, we got what we wanted for her! So In Ten years it will be high as well, they are still popular and sought after, and will continue to be since there was only a 7+ Year production run on these.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts