Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
I cannot predict the value in 10yrs, but I am reasonably certain it will have one of the lowest depreciation rates of any modern auto. I got a decent deal on an 07 3 years ago, and can get more out of it now than I paid easily. I will likely never sell it.

·
Registered
419 Posts
my 07 was bought 3 years ago, and it seems to be worth the same if not $1000 more now than I paid for it then. I don't see them becoming super expensive collector cars, but I see them holding value for a while. All it will take is gas to go back up to $4 a gallon (will happen eventually) and a 16mpg brick of a truck will become much less desirable to non-enthusiasts.

probably not in 10 years but certainly in my life time, most new cars will be autonomous, electric, and covered in solar so they charge while parked or something. they won't look or act like they do now, much like the cars of today are way different than the 1950s. which sucks, cause tail fins are totally BA.

·
Registered
696 Posts
My 2012 Radiant Red FJ is one of 2500 made. Its in mint condition. What do you think it would be worth in 10 years if I can keep it in this condition?
:smile
I've wondered the same thing. Would it be smart to keep my FJC stock, baby it forever, or enjoy it to the max now by modifying and off-roading every chance I get.

My opinion is that the FJC will retain a high resale value to new price ratio for several years. I support this by popularity, no new production, and Toyota-strong reliability. '07's still sell strong considering they are 8 to 9 years in age.

We of course can only guess at what the value of new cars will be in 2025. EPA estimates that vehicles will cost as much as $5000 more (added to inflation-adjusted dollars) just to cover the cost of increased CAFE mileage requirements.

So, its my hope that my '12 FJC will in 10 years be worth between $20k and $30k in inflation-adjusted dollars. (or whatever currency we'll be using then :rofl: ).

·
Desert Moderator
6,932 Posts
I bought my first FJ in 06 and drove it to 2015 , just bought a 2014 to keep on going. I sure as hell hope they come out with another FJ or Diesel Land Cruiser in the next 10 years or I don't know what ill do !
Don't count on diesel - It'll be gone well before we're all electric - It's just been banned in some Indian cities due to air pollution. Many more cities will follow.

We'll see more hybrid (petrol/electric) and IMO that's not necessarily a bad thing. I'd love the torque of a hybrid with a turbo'd 2 Litre engine.

Remember a Formula 1 engine is 1.6 litres & produces ~750-850 BHP https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes_PU106-Type_Hybrid and F1 is where a lot of the tech that ends up in our road cars is developed from.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Honestly nowadays it's hard to think of any modern made vehicle becoming a collector. But I do feel that because the FJ Cruiser was so retro, unique and only made for a short period of time that this will drive the price up. I think most people who say otherwise that the FJ Cruiser will never be valued great or be a collector are being haters to some degree.

Then again the FJ Cruiser is no FJ40 no more than a Wrangler is an orginal Willy's WW2 Jeep - sorry folks lol.

Think of it this way,

You had the original FJ40 that eventually production stopped and it was gone from the American market. 1983/1984? Correct?

From 1984 till 2006 that area for Toyota was sort of dead. And then came along the FJ Cruiser which from my understanding was built to be a reminiscent of the classic FJ40. So that's 22 years of silence and nothing. From my understanding the FJ Cruiser was built in such a way that was to reflect what the original FJ40 would have become if it was still produced all those years till now.

Next the FJ Cruiser was technically a concept car that launched and really I think technically was just meant to stay as a concept and no launch.

FJ Cruiser ran from 2006 - 2014 (US) and was pulled from the market. Short run. Some say it's because sales plummeted but I suspect Toyota only made so many and removed it from the market themselves - just my theory. The FJ Cruiser was never meant to run as long as it did so obviously the talk of sales figures is kind of out the door.

There are a lot of reasons that point to it being a collector possibly one day in my opinion. And again that's just my opinion. I think you have some serious haters sometimes or others who believe it's impossible but I do feel the FJ Cruiser has so many things working for it compared to it's biggest competitor the Jeep Wrangler.

I think the FJ Cruiser has more of a chance at becoming a collector and valued more than say any Wrangler that has been produced after the Wrangler TJ. The Wrangler TJ I could see one day being the very last good collector for a Wrangler. Any new Wrangler from 2007 and on wards is just blah.

The FJ Cruiser stands out in crowd and not your typical vehicle and I'm sure as time goes on it will grow in value and become more of a collector. Now whether it will grow like a FJ40, Defender P90 & P110, Mercedes G Wagon, Wrangler CJ and others is up in the air and only time will tell.

Example:

Wrangler Sales: FJ Cruiser Sales:

2007 119,243--------2006 56,225
2008 84,615---------2007 55,170
2009 82,044---------2008 28,688
2010 94,310---------2009 11,941
2011 122,460--------2010 14,959
2012 141,669--------2011 13,541
2013 155,502--------2012 13,656
2014 175,328--------2013 13,131
2014 ?

*Not sure the numbers on 2014 FJ Cruiser

With these numbers I think the FJ Cruiser would stand more of a chance at being a collector. I think something like the new Wrangler's was overproduced thanks to Chrysler. If the Wrangler wasn't so overproduced and more reliable it would have been very hard to resist when buying my FJ Cruiser.

Again people these are just my thoughts, nothing more. So no hating please lol.

·
Premium Member
2,092 Posts
Any short run niche vehicle is going to hold value. I doubt if it will be astronomical but when held side by side to a like vehicle in 10 years, it will be worth more. I looked and looked and LOOKED when I went back to a 1st gen 4Runner. Paid over 5K for a 14 yr old vehicle at the time w/ 150k on it. Nissan 300s are still bringing a nice price along with 93 RX-7s. A barely running 40 that isn't even road worthy will bring 10K.
By comparison, it's quite a bit for what you are buying.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
This 1969 Dodge Charger Dayton wing car found in a AL. barn yes is worth a lot 100,000.00-150,000.00 as it sits ,the FJ on the other hand about what you payed for it or less in perfect shape

·
Registered
172 Posts
Well, I will drive mine until it cannot be driven anymore and if you take care of your vehicle like you have to take care of aircraft, it will last your lifetime. I don't plan on selling unless I have to.

They are also not like the Jeep Cherokee I have that were built in the range of 2.8 million and you can buy one running for 2K. I can pile money into my Cherokee and never get it back but it will be my trail ride and my FJ is my Winter ride.

·
Desert Moderator
6,932 Posts
People are forgetting that the FJ CRUISER is pretty much just a retro body style variant on the LC150 platform. Other variants are Prado, Lexus GX4?? , & 4Runner.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I've wondered the same thing. Would it be smart to keep my FJC stock, baby it forever, or enjoy it to the max now by modifying and off-roading every chance I get.

Why buy it in the first place if youre always afraid of keeping it pristine? I say get all the fun you can out of it!

·
Premium Member
1,412 Posts
People are forgetting that the FJ CRUISER is pretty much just a retro body style variant on the LC150 platform. Other variants are Prado, Lexus GX4?? , & 4Runner.
A,
I agree that these trucks are part of the same family and share more or less the same platform.
That said, I do not believe that the market perceives them to be closely related other than all being part of Toyota.
The various owners/producers of the Jeep Marque have made Jeep a portfolio brand like Chevy.
Jeep, like Chevy, has different models of the Jeep that are Jeeps.
The Cherokee and the Liberty are Jeeps; but the market sees them differently that they do the iconic Wrangler, also a Jeep.
There are several iterations of the Wrangler model, such as Rubicon and Sahara.
When we on this forum speak of 'Jeep', the truck we are all talking about is Jeep Wrangler, in all of its iterations.
In a similar fashion, the FJ stands alone amongst the other Toyota 4X4's.
I say all that, to say that I think that the market sees the FJ as a limited run 4X4 in a niche market slot!
Most people not on this Forum do not know what a TT or TTUE is, they are all just FJ's.
We on this forum even fuss about whether the FJ should reside under the Land Cruiser marque, or not.
IMHO, the FJ will stand on its own merit as it depreciates,or not, into the future!
Love these trucks!!…..gm

·
Premium Member
850 Posts

Not sure if you mean this as a positive. But I think it is. The FJ has the feel of Prados and Hiluxes I have driven. The Land Cruiser and the 4Runner are nice but bigger and don't have the same road feel.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
32,382 Posts
OK this is nuts, 4 hours to go on the bidding and its at $45,000.00
I like how they make sure to let everyone know that it's a "Special Edition" and then it's had the grill changed to blue and a Borla exhaust added and whatever else there might be. So part of that price is the cost of the non "Special Edition" add ons.

·
Desert Moderator
6,932 Posts
Not sure if you mean this as a positive. But I think it is. The FJ has the feel of Prados and Hiluxes I have driven. The Land Cruiser and the 4Runner are nice but bigger and don't have the same road feel.
Yeah - it's a positive.
Interesting that you mention size - yes the full size LC200 is much, much bigger in very way, but the Prado & 4Runner share the same chassis & basic running gear as the FJ, but both are definitely roomier inside - just not outside!
The FJ isn't related to the Hilux, but interior-wise it's much closer to the hilux in style (basic, functional, hard plastics) than to its LC150 based siblings.
My wife drives a Fortuner (based on the Hilux platform but with some rear suspension changes - it's more like a 4Runner) and it's as tough as nails and uber reliable - the wife hates it's total lack of glamour though.

I love Toyota 4x4s

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yeah - it's a positive.
Interesting that you mention size - yes the full size LC200 is much, much bigger in very way, but the Prado & 4Runner share the same chassis & basic running gear as the FJ, but both are definitely roomier inside - just not outside!
The FJ isn't related to the Hilux, but interior-wise it's much closer to the hilux in style (basic, functional, hard plastics) than to its LC150 based siblings.
My wife drives a Fortuner (based on the Hilux platform but with some rear suspension changes - it's more like a 4Runner) and it's as tough as nails and uber reliable - the wife hates it's total lack of glamour though.

I love Toyota 4x4s
I agree here. I don't get those in the beginning here saying it's basically a Tacoma underneath when it's more closely related to the Prado. Which the 4Runner is as well so basically all three are. Anyone who knows 4Runners/GX470's/GX460's know they are based off the Prado which what exactly the FJ is based on.

Toyota Land Cruiser Prado - Lexus GX470/460 - Toyota 4Runner - FJ Cruiser.

But no no to the Tacoma except for the engine.

I do agree that the FJ Cruiser's more resemble the Hilux interior wise. But I think think this is a plus in my mind.

Reactions: amaclach

·
Registered
696 Posts

Why buy it in the first place if youre always afraid of keeping it pristine? I say get all the fun you can out of it!
Good question. The answer is simply "to each his own". If your goal is to keep the FJC from now on, in stock form it will have greater value 20 or 30 yrs out. Just go back to the FJ40 as a prime example. You can find 40 yr olds for less than $10k, but they require work to get to a point regular use on or off the road. Find one that's always been stock and in excellent shape and they may bring $25k to $40k.

I'll predict that the majority of current FJC owners will sell their trucks in the next 10 yrs for what they feel are good prices. Life events happen, families grow, priorities change. 20 to 30 yrs later many of these same owners will again have the hots for an old FJC just like they owned years previously. They're now financially able to purchase a good FJC, empty nested, and longing for the fun and freedom they remembered from the old days. But there will be fewer good old FJC's on the market, and many will be wore out. To find that one you will want to take home is going to bring a premium, and the stock ones will be the most desirable.

History does repeat itself. :lol:

41 - 60 of 73 Posts