Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So I'm looking to get back into an FJ and have seen this one in the ads for a while now and the price seems to be great, especially for this area, but I am afraid it may have had a rough life. I wanted to see if you guys would go for it or run fast. I would drop by and take a look at it but it's 2.5 hours away.

Cars for Sale: 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 in Lexington, KY 40502: Sport Utility Details - 291149949 - AutoTrader.com

Here's the dealer ad with more pictures...

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser For Sale Lexington

Thanks! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
I would not buy this FJ for one reason; it has the original inner fender aprons. FJ’s produced after July 08 have the redesigned inner fender aprons. If you look back at some of my posts on this issue you'll understand why I encourage you to keep looking.

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the fender aprons. While they may have been redesigned mid 08, several 09-10 models have had fender cracks, buldges, tears, etc. So saying not to by an 07-08 because of fenders is a bit off imo when later model years still expereince the same issues. If you are worried about the fender aprons, buy a differenct car all together or reinforce them.

If you go to look at it check the inner fenders and see if there is any cracking. If not and you can get a decent price go for it. Also make sure the 4wd works properly....MT switches have been known to go out and the throw out bearing is often an issue.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
My great-grandfather who has long since passed away, gave a lot of incredible advice about cars, trucks, and the like. He had been a mechanic for over 40 years and really knew vehicles. He was one of the old saps who could sit on a porch and tell what kind of car was coming down the road by the sound.

He once told me that I should NEVER buy a used 4x4 or a used sports car. "There is only one reason a man buys a 4x4 or a sports car, to beat the sh!t out of it."

He went on to explain that if you really need a 4x4, you buy it to drive the heck out of it in places normal cars just can't go. There's no telling what has been done to it and it likely hasn't had a good life. Same is true of a sports car.

Take it with a grain of salt. The economy sucks and not many people can afford to buy a brand new truck right now. If you're getting a great price and a mechanic has looked at it - go nuts. Just remember, if something goes horribly wrong down the road, you get what you paid for and there's no way of knowing what the guy/gal who had it before you did to it!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Fender problem exists in all models. It just boils down to luck of the draw.

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you like the truck then I would just have a mechanic/tech that you trust take a look at it. If they do not find any issues then enjoy your new FJ.

·
Registered
460 Posts
There's no way to know... And the Bumper and wheel mods suggest this wasn't someone's minivan... But without all the info your guess is as good as ours... If you want an FJ without the fear of what's come before, go buy a new one... If you can't afford one, buy one from a soccer mom.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the responses guys! I'm not so worried about the inner fenders as I had an early build '07 that was fine, i'll inspect them real good otherwise not much to worry about as this won't be wheeled by me much. The reason I'm kinda hoping to get this one is due to the fact that it is the only 6MT within a decent traveling range that isn't overly expensive. i'm just worried that it has been ridden hard and put away wet/that it is going to be really expensive to put a stock bumper cover back on.

Is there any obvious physical things you would look for to see if it has been wheeled hard besides the normal scratches/dents in various body parts such as sliders or undercarriage bits.

Also can anyone tell from the pictures if that atrocious bumper has been bolted or welded on, with my eye sight I can't really tell.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Screw the fender bullsh!t, just check it out & like stated above, have a good mech. look it over. I have an '07 with 120,000 miles on it. I've pounded it pretty hard off road & never had any problems. I've been to Rausch Creek off road park many times on the Blue & some Black trails. I would not say I beat the truck, just use it as it was intended. I would have no problems buying that FJ from what I can see in the pictures, but then again, those are only pictures, get it looked at & you'll be fine. Good Luck:cheers:, MAXX

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
One of the pics shows that it is out of gas. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. :cheers:
Nah, that just gets to be his first mod. A relatively cheap one! :rocker:

be sure to put it in your sig!

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Yeah definitely luck of the draw. All you can do is look it over really good, and if you're able to get a mechanic to inspect it.

Why would you want to remove the aftermarket, metaltech I believe, bumper and put a stock one back on?

·
Registered
170 Posts
The vin is right on the ad, run a carfax and see what it says about any major reported accidents and problems, it will also tell you where its been titled. All nice to know. If you cant get it done yourself (and someone on FJC must have a carfax account) have dealer give it to you. If you want a driveway queen then clearly this is not the rig for you. But if your gonna run it hard anyway then do for it. But use the mods to help in your negotiation. Ask "is this stock??" did soeone put this bumper on here.." just act like you dont like the mods.. and it pays to find out how long its been on the lot too.

I pretty much stole a car once it was on the lot at a dealer for 6 months..

Be sure to update this post with your decision!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts