Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
Use the fancy google search function in the left corner and you'll find your answers. Been addressed many times and there really isn't 1 particular year to stay away from per say. Early model 07's seemed to have a few more issues here and there, but I'll let you explore all the details when you look through the other threads on this.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Good question. I got an 08 when the 09 were out. Early 07 had some minor issues that i don't remember. good luck.

·
Registered
128 Posts
We bought a '07 in '08. It has been trouble free. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just do a good history check and look under the truck for damage. Some are being abused and have a hard life.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
We bought a '07 in '08. It has been trouble free. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just do a good history check and look under the truck for damage. Some are being abused and have a hard life.
True^^^ my 07 is over 4 years old is has been great. It mostly depends how the PO treated it more than anything.

·
Premium Member
1,412 Posts
Re: What year to stay away from> IT'S A CRAP SHOOT

I bought a TRDSE in Dec 2006, and for the first 100K it was a dream then at 103K I had a left front wheel bearing fail($1000) and a auto transmission failure($3800) out of the blue.
Brought in to the dealer for a shutter between 2nd and 3rd, they found a wheel bearing with an inch of play, replaced it and then I showed the dealership the shuddering, they were able to hook up and record it. They verified that the condition was not due to a low fluid condition.(fluid was changed at 92K)
They indicated that it needs a new transmission. $3800.
The SM called Toyota at my request and plead my case.
That case being:
No abuse
Toyota dealer maintenance since new
Highway miles
I have owned 8 Landcruisers, a Highlander , a Lexus ls 400 and a FJ since 1990.(owner loyalty to Toyota)
I still own a 1990 LC and a 1996 LC and a 2008 Hignlander.
Result: the Region Rep for Toyota gave me $1000 off the $3800 repair.
I called Corporate and they refused to do any more.
I informed them that I had bought my last new Toyota, after buying about $400,000 worth of Toyota's.
The SM is going to try to work the deal through his contacts, but I have no hope that they will do any more.
I am very saddened by the Customer focus of a Company that I thought was the eptitome of customer service and product reliability in the Landcruiser product offering.
I say all that to say this; I am very concerned about the FJ's reliabilty, if I had wheeled it hard in the MUD like some of you boys do, perhaps I'd feel better about these failures.
Good luck, 'cause all bets are off, these failures were so GM, that maybe you ought to buy a 2007 Yukon with 100+K on it, am I thinking they are more similar than we know .................gm

·
Registered
22 Posts
LOL. Over 100K miles and you complain about a failure? That is very funny to me. Nothing lasts forever. Just because you had a failure doesn't mean they all fail. I think they were being incredibly generous offering to take $1K off the price. Better stick to riding the bus. If they fail they will bring another bus to finish your trip. :lol:

And to stay on topic, I have a 2007 I bought in July 2006 and have had zero issues. Maybe because I have the manual transmission.

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
I have an '07 built in Nov. '06, have 54K on it and no problems at all.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
838 Posts
2012 cause they aren't going to last more than a year and explode with the rest of the world.
All of the FJs have been good.

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
2006 built 2007s
I have one of those, 168,000+ miles in 4.5 years and only replaced the brakes at 161,000 miles and transmission also at 161,000 because the throwout bearing started to squeak. No fender bulges or any other issues, not too bad in my book...

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I have one of those, 168,000+ miles in 4.5 years and only replaced the brakes at 161,000 miles and transmission also at 161,000 because the throwout bearing started to squeak. No fender bulges or any other issues, not too bad in my book...
This is why. Notice very many 2007 built FJs and up? Not many. IIRC, the 06 built rear ends had bad batches of gears made in Mexico that were very brittle. Tacomas and 4Runners built in this same time frame had similar failures. I figured most knew what i was talking about.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...35767-broken-rear-diff-build-date-please.html

Broken rear diff build dates.

Chrisngrod_______0506______???
Slither__________0606______???? *6spd gearbox
GTKrockeTT_____0206______????
Ropedrag________0306______???
1Poser___________0306_____???
1911____________0406______???
FJCruser_________0406_____???
VoodooChuck64___0406_____???
KBJames_________0406_____????
BigBadFJ_________0506_____???
Makaser_________0506______??
VDM_____________0506________?????
DomenicG_________0606______
FJ-Olllie__________0606_____??
Stoney665________06_______11/01/06
BMTHiker_________0606_____???
archtucsonfj________ 06_____???
Flyindrive________Early06____???
TanaJ___________0606______???
Meathead________0606______???
PaulThePhotographer_0606____???Has now broken TWO Rearends!
VK120 LC120_____????______0606
JAXTOY_________0606______????
Ironmind_________0806______???
Milkyfj___________0806______???
Homedad________0806_______THIS IS HIS 3rd blown diff!!! =-P
SonicFJ__________0806______???
Underthehood____1006_______???
athenaceleste____1006_______10/13/06 blown 4/12/08~ 37k....
keppyrat_________????_______
tisilverFJ _________???________
Delray___________1206_______12/15/06
RubyConMan______0606?______??
505fj_____________????_______??
TomasMas________????________06/21/06
Lemony___________???________12/19/06 26k miles build date 06-12-19
KB3gun___________ 0606_______0606_______
FJCamel__________?????________??? has blown out 2
kaptankaos________0407______???

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
This is why. Notice very many 2007 built FJs and up? Not many. IIRC, the 06 built rear ends had bad batches of gears made in Mexico that were very brittle. Tacomas and 4Runners built in this same time frame had similar failures. I figured most knew what i was talking about.
Ahhh, didn't know that, haven't had an issue with that either but you may have a point.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Use the fancy google search function in the left corner and you'll find your answers. Been addressed many times and there really isn't 1 particular year to stay away from per say. Early model 07's seemed to have a few more issues here and there, but I'll let you explore all the details when you look through the other threads on this.
Just throwing this out there, but after pushing close to 4,000 posts on this site, when do you cease to be a "newb"?

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Mine's a very early 06 build and I drive it hard with no issues at all in 55k miles (aside from abuse related issues like knocking alignment out and stuff). It's been a lot more reliable than my newer BMW and Silverado.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I would find a late build '07 for the following reasons(they may seem minor to some, but they are why I would not buy a newer FJ)

1. No Immobilizer key
2. No TPMS
3. No Roll side curtain airbags.

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
I would find a late build '07 for the following reasons(they may seem minor to some, but they are why I would not buy a newer FJ)

1. No Immobilizer key
2. No TPMS
3. No Roll side curtain airbags.

(1) All FJs have immobilizers keys
(2) correct
(3) Side curtain air bags were an option in 07. Mine was built late 06 and has the side curtain air bags . You need to look at the option list. Besides there is no problem with side curtain air bags

1 - 20 of 22 Posts