Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find it interesting to see the different gear people on this board carry with them when they go out. Also I've noticed that quite a few people on here seem to be military or former military so of course you know that every good soldier or marine always has a PACE plan (primary, alternate, contingency, emergency). But of course we all know that it is impossible to plan for every contingency so that is where the "MacGyver" kit bag comes in.

By this I mean things that you can make something out of nothing with, not specific tools or recovery gear. I mean things that can be used for many different purposes or for clever purposes beyond their intended use or things to get you out of bad situations you could have never planned for.

Examples include:

- 550 cord
- 100 mph tape / duct tape
- JB weld
- hose clamps
- trip wire
- super glue

Basically the building blocks of the universe haha. Anyway these are just the basics. I'm curious to see what sort of clever "MacGyver" things other people on here carry with them.

·
Formerly FJ_Marine
6,237 Posts
Examples include:

- 550 cord
- JB weld Quick Dry
- hose clamps
- trip wire
- super glue

Basically the building blocks of the universe haha. Anyway these are just the basics. I'm curious to see what sort of clever "MacGyver" things other people on here carry with them.
- Aircraft Safety Wire

I have been thinking about keeping some of that putty you see on TV. I used something similar to it to repair a plastic side tank on a radiator years ago. It held for at least 6 months until I traded the car in. :bigthumb: Once it cures you can even tap it with threads.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Duct tape, WD-40 and a knife. Thats all I would ever need...
You'll need more than that if you get off the porch.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
All of the above and:

A note on 100 MPH tape and "rigger's tape" vs duct tape.

Duct tape NO.
100 MPH tape YES.

And keep a whole spool of 550 cord because you'll use it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm in the process of moving mine over to the FJ. Same as you guys plus....

Tire plug kit, saved my a$$ once
jumper cables
serpintine belt, also saved me
small socket set

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Apparently I needed an exhaust in my bag this weekend. I mashed mine, bent it back under the rig on a log. Had the flowmaster on the way home.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Credit card + access to internet. You can get everything that way nowadays.

·
Registered
613 Posts
All of the above and:

A note on 100 MPH tape and "rigger's tape" vs duct tape.

Duct tape NO.
100 MPH tape YES.

And keep a whole spool of 550 cord because you'll use it.
Is 100 MPH tape the same as gaffer's tape? I used to use that stuff to do some serious emergency repairs on things and they'd hold for a loooooong time. It is way easier to work with than duct tape, doesn't leave residue, and does an amazing job.

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
All the above plus: back packing freeze dried food for three days, half shaft; recovery gear, leather gloves, brake fluid, silver solder, emergency candles, fire starter, spare batteries for flashlight, waterproof matches, space blanket, compass (GPS sometimes fails), first aid kit, fishing line and hooks and a bivy tent and gear if I have to abandon the rig. Depending on where I'm going, a second spare tire, fuel and water.

Yes, I do expeditions in Mexico and other remote areas.

cheers,

dale

·
Registered
42 Posts
Cool! I have never been any place I would have to dich my rig. Usually I could just use my cell phone. Would love to go on a real exploration.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All the above plus: back packing freeze dried food for three days, half shaft; recovery gear, leather gloves, brake fluid, silver solder, emergency candles, fire starter, spare batteries for flashlight, waterproof matches, space blanket, compass (GPS sometimes fails), first aid kit, fishing line and hooks and a bivy tent and gear if I have to abandon the rig. Depending on where I'm going, a second spare tire, fuel and water.

Yes, I do expeditions in Mexico and other remote areas.

cheers,

dale
These things are all good ideas of course but they are all things that have specific purposes for preplanned disasters. I have seen a bunch of threads with this kind of stuff but I meant for this thread to be specifically for "MacGyver" gear.

When I say "MacGyver" gear like I described in the first post, I mean things that you can use to create something from nothing. For those disasters you couldn't have possibly planned for. Things which you can cleverly employ to make field expedient repairs or tools.

·
Registered
337 Posts
my "go bag" is basicly a filson medium field bag with the following.

(1. walther p22...22 cal+250 rounds of winchester supper x .... i call it my disposable gun if need be.

(2. leatherman

(3. gerber lmf knife

(4. collapsable serria saw

(5. petzel head light

(6. para cord

(7. surefire flashlight+ 4 high intense light sticks

(8. silva compass+signal mirror

(9. trail first aid kit+ snake bit kit

(10. magnifying glass (a real glass one)

(11. magnesium fire starter+2 bic lighters

(12. small roll of duct tape that is actually wraped around the bic lighters

(13. sun block (waterproof)+ insect repellent (avon skin so soft)

(14. toilet paper

(15. space blanket

(16. extra pair of soxs

(17. a couple of drum liners (trash bags) makes poncho or ground cover

(18. a pair of small binoculars

(19. 2 brightly colored bandana's

(20. 1 mre

(21. Doctor bonner's camp soap

(22. 1 cohiba cigar....mmm

(23. 2 bottled water

(24. trail mix+energy bar+jerkey

(25. small roll of snare wire

(26. 1 pair leather gloves

these items change out for other's depending on what i will be doing...but this is the basic "go bag" for the river runner.
this collection of goodies has evolved thru the school of hard knocks
this is what i take when artifact hunting
and has been on 2 river rescues in the last 15 years:cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
613 Posts
My grandpa was a real MacGyver. He used to carry that orange bailing twine, duct tape, and panty hose. He told me how they used to use the stocking for a fan belt in the ol' days when the belts would break in the middle of nowhere.

He had an old Chevy pickup (1962 I believe) that was held together with sheet metal screws, duct tape, and orange rope.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
my "go bag" is basicly a filson medium field bag with the following.

(1. walther p22...22 cal+250 rounds of winchester supper x .... i call it my disposable gun if need be.

(2. leatherman

(3. gerber lmf knife

(4. collapsable serria saw

(5. petzel head light

(6. para cord

(7. surefire flashlight+ 4 high intense light sticks

(8. silva compass+signal mirror

(9. trail first aid kit+ snake bit kit

(10. magnifying glass (a real glass one)

(11. magnesium fire starter+2 bic lighters

(12. small roll of duct tape that is actually wraped around the bic lighters

(13. sun block (waterproof)+ insect repellent (avon skin so soft)

(14. toilet paper

(15. space blanket

(16. extra pair of soxs

(17. a couple of drum liners (trash bags) makes poncho or ground cover

(18. a pair of small binoculars

(19. 2 brightly colored bandana's

(20. 1 mre

(21. Doctor bonner's camp soap

(22. 1 cohiba cigar....mmm

(23. 2 bottled water

(24. trail mix+energy bar+jerkey

(25. small roll of snare wire

(26. 1 pair leather gloves

these items change out for other's depending on what i will be doing...but this is the basic "go bag" for the river runner.
this collection of goodies has evolved thru the school of hard knocks
this is what i take when artifact hunting
and has been on 2 river rescues in the last 15 years:cheers:

Ahhh, Filson. No one makes a more durable bag. They take a while to break in, but once there, they will last a lifetime. I keep a lot of the same things in my "paranoid" bag, as my wife calls it.
:)

·
Registered
534 Posts
Examples include:

- 550 cord
- JB weld
- hose clamps
- trip wire
- super glue
Dang....if my other half got organized enough to actually bring all those items on a trip, I am afraid he might be planning to leave me BEHIND once we got there, especially if he threw in an extra pair of socks and a few garbage bags.

:eek:

Oh.....sorry......reruns of Dexter were on the TV when I walked by it earlier.
The list kinda got me skeered.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.