Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a Dodge turbodiesel truck on SpikeTV's 4x4 show, it had this brand of suspension:

http://koreperformance.com/

They were doing 70mph across bumpy terrain and even little jumps. What other brands have this type of capabilty and will probably make something for FJ?

I will pay up to $3.5k for suspension and installation, hopefully that's enough to get some type of lift coilovers and reservoir shocks.

Rockcrawling and slow rides seems like it might get boring, I'd rather floor it in the dirt. :D

·
Registered
282 Posts
Check out Total Chaos Fabrications as they have the Long Travel kit available now.

www.chaosfab.com

It's not listed on their website but the 03+ 4runner / 05+ tacoma share the same suspension so you will be able to use any of the suspension kits available for these vehicles. This means you can get the off the shelf spacer kit / coil & spring / coilover kits as well as other options.

Good luck

·
Registered
109 Posts
There are a ton of companies out there making long travel type suspension systems. Do some research online for long travel suspension. Try the forums at dezertrangers.com and race-dezert.com.

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
donahoe racing and camburg engineering are also good for pre-runner setups. downey has one for the older pickups/4runners, but not much for the newer stuff.

·
Registered
282 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I recognize donahoe as a good brand from when I was considering a Ford
F250 4x4. Wonder why they don't make something for the back...

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Old Man Emu for the rear.... I've seen that even some of the other companies listed still utilize OME bits for some of the packages they build for the rear.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Speaking of baja suspension setups...I wanted to make my Taco look like a desert rally truck just for fun. I wanted fiberglass bulged fenders, a wider wheelbase with slightly smaller tires, and a small lift. Anyone have any thoughts on that? I looked into it a little, the fiberglass fenders + hood combo is $500. I could get custom wheel spacers for about $70 each. For a lift, I was thinking blocks for the rear, and spacers for the front coils. I didn't look into tires, but I'd like some kind of smallish nobby tires. I am dying of boredom and I can't afford $550/month for an FJ, so I want to toy with my Taco for the moment. I'll buy an FJ when they release that satin, SEMA green one with a TLC modded bull bar. =) Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Go with the same setup recommended for the FJ, parts are available and it will make your taco pretty trick.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Percy said:
Go with the same setup recommended for the FJ, parts are available and it will make your taco pretty trick.
Is that setup on this forum somewhere? Or is it on a different site? I'm sure I'll find it. And who recommended it? It might be worth a shot to ask that person what they know about stuff.

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
are you just after the look, or are you looking for some performance improvement too? if you just want the look you can go with the coil spacers in the front, though if its a 4x4 you will wear out your CVs quicker. upgrade your shocks, too maybe. if you want something with a little performance gains go with new springs and shocks or, better yet, do a coil-over conversion. thats not a cheap option, though.

for the rear blocks will work if you aren't worried about performance. if you are doing more than an inch or two blocks are super bad because you will get mad spring wrap and axle hop under power. another way to get a bit of lift in the rear is with extended shackles, add-a-leaf springs (which will make the ride stiffer), or new springs. new springs and/or shackles will require new shocks as they will allow for more articulation. Besides, all the pre-runner look-alikes here in southern california usually dont do anything with the rear anyways, mostly because they like to look gay...:eek:

·
Registered
644 Posts
Haha good one topless...ya know I never understood what a prerunner is...Isn't that the street version of the Taco? The one that looks like it has half a front end, and the ride height of a Geo Metro? If that's the case then I def don't have a prerunner, lol. Thanks for the info though...the only 4 wheelin I do is done at slow speeds due to large rocks. So I could probably get away blocks and coil spacers for now, and save the rest of my money to buy new shocks when mine wear out. =) I am just lookin for a quick fix to get rid of the stock look. Everyone tells me blocks and coil spacers are a bad idea because of long term issues, but by then I will have the money to replace what wore out a year ago. It's all good.

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
the lowered sport taco is called the "S runner", for sport runner presumably. the "prerunner" tacomas are badged as such and look like a 4wd with regards to ride height and suspension setup, but only have 2wd.

If you strictly want the look too hold you over 'till you can afford the "real deal" i would reccoment going with a set of fiberglass fenders and maybe some wheel spacers too make it look like you have the custom long travel setup. the benefit of that is that it will be cheap, like maybe $150 for the spacers, so you can save more money for the good stuff. as far as tire size, even with just 'glass fenders you should easily be able to fit 33"s.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Thanks Topless...and mine is 4wd, which would make it a postrunner? =) I am definately going to get wheel spacers at some point, and maybe the fenders, although I don't really need them. The 1.5" lift should work just fine. I found this to be very odd...I was asking about wheel spacers for a few days, and I just happened to notice that ALL the ads on this forum were directly related to adapters and spacers....it freaked me out because those ads just appear at random, and they were all the same ad at the same time. Um....thanks Ekool? =)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts