Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Cody, Wyoming and own a brand new Trail Teams Special Edition FJ.

It's rocky as hell out here - doesn't rain much but up in the mountains it gets real muddy.

I've got a 3" OME lift.

Any suggestions on what would be the best heavy duty rock crawling tire.

I don't do much other driving. My commute to work is less than a mile. I have a crappy minivan we use for long drives - my FJ is for offroading so I could care less about road noise or any of that.

The rocks out here can be pretty brutal.

Any suggestions for a good "mostly rock crawler" tire?

I'm gonna get me some good bud built skid plates too.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hello and welcome to Wyoming. I don't have any complaints about my Mickey Thompson MTZ's so far. I have about 10,000 miles on them and they seem to do good in rock, mud, and snow. Since you say that on road use is not a concern you might want to consider one of the Super Swamper options. I had a set of TSL radials on my last truck and not much got in the way of those things! I have also heard some great things about the new BFGoodrich MT also. As you stated, we don't get much rain in Wyoming, but when we do the "dirt" roads can become a thick gummy mess in a hurry, and it is nice to have an MT tire when that happens.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
i am not sure if i got a bad batch, but i am destroying my mtz's on my jeep. they have less than 2k miles on them. mostly in the dirt, mud, and on rocks. always aired down and i have a light foot when wheeling. no spinning the tires. never seen a tire get torn up like that. i do like the tread, it is great off road, just the durability of it is my concern.

but without a doubt, the MTR is what you should be looking at.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts