Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 FJC, 3" lift with toytc heavies, stock UCA's and a body mount chop. I'm wondering what's the biggest tire I can go with to put on 16" TRD FJC wheels without anymore modifications at this time? I really like the BFG KM2's but I am open to another mud terrain also. Thank you!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have added I'm running a 285 70 17 and when I wheel I run 33 10.5 15 so I would like to go to a 34 or just under that if they would be ok. Is a 305 (metric) a 34 or a little under that??

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm I was really hoping to go 34 but for a 16" I'm not seeing a whole lot in the way of mud terrains.

·
Registered
353 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. Do they ride rough? I know mud terrains ride a little rough but what about the bias?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would love to go with that size, Matt, I just think I'M gonna have issues with those with my setup. It looks like they're almost a 35"

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,947 Posts
285/75R16 is safe, 295 tire should be fine as well, and you may even be able to pull off 305/70R16s like I did on my last FJ, but the guy who I modeled my last rig's setup off of had those tires and later noticed some rubbing at full lock on the front of the UCA, not enough that he could hear it or anything, he just saw where the paint had rubbed off on the UCA, so he got wheel spacers to fix the problem.

So if I had to say a size, I would say 295s

·
Registered
854 Posts
I don't agree that wheel spacers 'fix' anything, they give clearance but inherently add their own set of issues. A proper offset wheel to begin with to avoid spacers is a better solution.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Get aftermarket uca's

Speaking of which, what are your alignment numbers right now? Caster, camber, and toe

I run 315/75/16 mud grapplers, they're 34.96"x12.8", heavy, but I did it on a 3" lift, took some 3lb sledge love though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a 3" lift, stock UCA's, and a BMC. I just installed Firestone Destination MT 315/75R-16s on my stock TRD wheels. The tires spec out at 34.6" x 12.3". In order to clear the UCA's, I had to use 1.25" spacers. This caused a rub on the body mount at the extreme limits of turn. I chopped an additional 1/2" off the body mounts and now have no rub, but they're within 1/4" at turn limit. Though I don't anticipate taking too much rough terrain with my wheels turned full right or left, had I to do it all over again, I wouldn't go larger than 315/70R-16 which spec out at 34.1" x 12.3" (exact measurement dependent upon tire brand). If you went with a true 35" tire, I think the additional inch in height and appearance compared to a 34" tire would be invisible.

My 2 cents

Reactions: SCputter and SilvFx

·
Registered
218 Posts
Running 275/70/17 on my Blue FJ and 285/75/17 on my Yellow FJ. Blue is stock and Yellow one is highly modified, but daily driver for my wife, short distance. I drive 60 miles a day and if you do much highway driving, stick with 275/70/17, 33's basically. I believe 34 will require body mount chop as mine did need. Spacers are fine too, used for 5 years no issues.::wink

1 - 20 of 22 Posts