Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the biggest tire that will fit on the tailgate without rubbing the bumper?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Is there any particular size you are looking at? I THINK i may have see 295/75/16, but I'll have to do a little search to see if I'm just fabbing that up.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
I don't know. My 305/70-16 Nittos fit fine. I imagine that wheel backspacing will come into play once you go over 305 in width.

Anybody else reached the limit?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Yea, I've heard of people using a spacer on the spare in order to make it fit.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I have 35x12.5x18 Nitto Muds on AR thugs with a spacer.. They rub (on the back hatch/bumper) but just barely so I would say either a 34 or 33 should be okay

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
i have 295x70x17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on 17" alloys...and have about a 1/4" of clearance to window and maybe a hair more on bumper. I think the Nittos are about 33.2 inches.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I was previously running an All Pro rear bumper, which is supposed to have more clearance than the OEM bumper, but I needed a spacer with 305/70/17 MTR's in order to clear the bumper.

Jim

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
depends on the rear bumper. I have the warn and I think it is good for at least a 33 without using a spacer. With a spacer, 35s would be no problem.

·
Banned
1,002 Posts
One thing to consider in how big a tire to put on the back door is also weight. I had a 34" Tire and wheel on the back of my FJ and it ended up messing up the hinges from weight. I know of half a dozen other guys locally that are having alignment issues from their doors because of non-stock tires that are not even that big. If you want to go real big check on the weight first or make sure the door will handle it. I had to get the tire of the door and put it on the tire carrier. Thats why we make it. Sorry dont mean to plug a product but weight on the back door is a real issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts