Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I have installed TRD CAI this morning and i LOVED the deep vrrrrrooommm!! the next stage is to replace the stock exhaust with a sporty one.

i have researched the net and found many aftermarket brands. i was planning to buy TRD exhaust, however i figured out that Magnaflow is wanted as well as aFe soon-to-come new exhaust. by coincidence, i found Borla dual exit exhaust, it's interesting! i seek your advice in this regard. i'm looking for something durable, reliable, and cost effective.

shall i go for...
  1. TRD
  2. Magnaflow
  3. Borla
  4. aFe

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
IMO the best on the market will be the AFE, 3" piping all the way through. POWER!

(Dyno proven also)

Mate that up with a y-pipe and Thorley headers. Since you are in SA i would imagine you have no emission laws.

So MORE POWER!!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IMO the best on the market will be the AFE, 3" piping all the way through. POWER!

(Dyno proven also)

Mate that up with a y-pipe and Thorley headers. Since you are in SA i would imagine you have no emission laws.

So MORE POWER!!
Thanks Dominic. as far as i know you have TRD exhaust, may i ask whether you're satisfied with it?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lovely ;)

is aFe louder than TRD? actually we have emission laws, i would get fines for having a loud exhaust, therefore i'm looking for something moderate.

Thanks Dominic, you're my hero :grinbiginvert:

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
I did not get to hear the AFE run :(

But a bunch of the guys that were at the socal meet & greet a couple weekends ago got to witness it.

Maybe they can chime in?? HELLOOO??

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I have the JBA cat-back. It sounds great. Got it for 250 from FJoel's JBA group buy. Bolts in easy (after you get the factory exhaust out, not easy).

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have the JBA cat-back. It sounds great. Got it for 250 from FJoel's JBA group buy. Bolts in easy (after you get the factory exhaust out, not easy).
I have the Magnaflow exhaust and the TRD CAI.

The thing sounds like a racecar.

Lots more accelleration.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I have the Gibson catback and TRD CAI and its loud at WOT but not much louder than stock at cruising. low end torque is improved and so is passing power. if I dont floor it all the time I can get about 1-2 mpg better than before.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stainless Steel Cat-Back™ System

BORLA Cat-Back™ exhausts feature patented, straight-through and multi-core technology to unleash hidden horsepower. Increased exhaust velocity adds power, driving excitement, fuel economy and the distinctive BORLA Sound of Power respected by motoring enthusiasts everywhere. Each system is built from premium austenitic stainless steel, superior to T-400 series knockoffs, to give you the absolute best in performance and durability. Ultra-smooth mandrel bends ensure maximum flow and power, and precision computer-controlled CNC manufacturing ensures an accurate fit. Best of all, BORLA stands behind every system with a Million-Mile Warranty. Just what you'd expect from the world's most experienced (and most winning) exhaust brand.

Price: $1,149.99 (cheaper on TRDsparks)

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
I love the looks and sound of the Borla system, not to mention it is a dual exhaust, but, it has a ridiculous price. Even the cheapest discounts I have seen are still in the mid $900's (only $100 off list, not even 10%). It's a shame, I guess they're not interested in higher volume sales.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just had a Magnaflow cat back installed on my new Cruiser. The system looks and sounds awesome and I can definately feel a nice pick up in performance. I'll check for mileage increase later. Best part is, for a stainless system it didn't cost me an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
126 Posts
thanks for starting this post. i was going to ask the same question. i like the borola dual but way too pricey! is the TRD just some re-branding of another mfg?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I say save your money on the cat back system from anyone. You only go up 1/2 inch in pipe size. This means minimal gain in performance.
Just in stall a Magnaflow Muffler ONLY. For about $110.00 - $130.00 you will get a VERY noticeable performance gain AND keep about $300.00 in your pocket!:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
Going from a 2.5 inch tail pipe to a 3.0 inch tail pipe is a 44% potential increase in volume.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Going from a 2.5 inch tail pipe to a 3.0 inch tail pipe is a 44% potential increase in volume.

DEWFPO
Well, It doesn't add up to $300.00-$500.00 worth of pefromance gain. BUT suit your self!:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
I haven't bought anything. I was just trying to add some 'data' to all the arm waving. Everyone will make their own decisions based on desire, data or some ratio of both.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I say save your money on the cat back system from anyone. You only go up 1/2 inch in pipe size. This means minimal gain in performance.
Just in stall a Magnaflow Muffler ONLY. For about $110.00 - $130.00 you will get a VERY noticeable performance gain AND keep about $300.00 in your pocket!:bigthumb:
would a magonaflow muffler fit FJ stock exhaust? can i order it separately?

Thanks wrigman

volume and performance, or only volume?

this issue is confusing, TRD exhaust is supposed to be the most suitable for FJ, however so far nobody has advised me to go for TRD.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts