Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to the parking garage at my work only being 6'7", and my FJ being my only vehicle, I can't lift my FJ any time soon. But what I would like to do is level out the front to get rid of the forward rake and get a little more clearance up front. My origional plan was to get Bilstein 5100s up front to accomplish this. Well after origionally ordering them in January, and having gotten the run around from a dozen different vendors for the past few months, I have given up on this idea. Apparently Bilstein has moved factories and all of their 5100s are on a long back order. The process of trying to find them has been so frustrating that I don't even want them anymore.

That said, what's the second easiest/cheapest way to level the front end without sacrificing performance (i.e. no spacers)?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Can you lift at all?

I replaced my stock springs with aftermarket springs from Toyotec(front) and OME(back) along with some lightly used TRD shocks off of another forum member(off of a a 2010 TRD) and wow what a HUGE upgrade and the whole thing cost me about 500$ , even the girlfriend was blown away by how much nicer it drove and as a bonus I got about 1-2in of overall lift all the way around.

FYI.....I added weight up front(trail gear bumper) so my original reason for the upgrade was to level+settle and handle the extra bumper weight which was causing sag

·
Registered
878 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,564 Posts
^^^ agree. Unload the factory rack (that'll shave off 7" immediately) and put a lift on. Then buy an aftermarket flat rack.

Or take the bus to work. :)

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I'd probably just chop the top bar off of the OEM roof rack before I bought an entirely new one, but at this time I'm not really looking to change anything with the rack right now, so a lift is off the table. I'm also trying to hold off on going down that path for the time being due to current financial limitations, because as we all know, getting a lift means getting bigger tires, and bigger tires look best with steel bumpers, and steel bumpers need a winch.... etc etc. Lol.

Right now I really just want to level the front, and deal with the rest down the road. Though I do fully intend on getting a lift eventually. That's why I'm wondering if there is a way to level the front that would be a gateway into a lift later. I looked into coilovers for the front to level, but they all seem to give the front too much of a lift since most coilovers are designed to complete a 3" lift. Does anyone know if there are coilovers I could get that would provide the 1.5" of lift in the front I need to level now, but would allow me to adjust up to 3" for a complete lift later?

·
Registered
605 Posts
I think I'd probably just chop the top bar off of the OEM roof rack before I bought an entirely new one, but at this time I'm not really looking to change anything with the rack right now, so a lift is off the table. I'm also trying to hold off on going down that path for the time being due to current financial limitations, because as we all know, getting a lift means getting bigger tires, and bigger tires look best with steel bumpers, and steel bumpers need a winch.... etc etc. Lol.

Right now I really just want to level the front, and deal with the rest down the road. Though I do fully intend on getting a lift eventually. That's why I'm wondering if there is a way to level the front that would be a gateway into a lift later. I looked into coilovers for the front to level, but they all seem to give the front too much of a lift since most coilovers are designed to complete a 3" lift. Does anyone know if there are coilovers I could get that would provide the 1.5" of lift in the front I need to level now, but would allow me to adjust up to 3" for a complete lift later?
I think any adjustable coil over would let you only add 1.5 inches of lift right?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I think any adjustable coil over would let you only add 1.5 inches of lift right?
That's what I'm not sure about. I admittedly know nothing about adjustable coilovers. But everywhere I looked during my brief research advertised the adjustable coilovers as providing 3" of lift.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
That's a good question, you could call one of the vendors and ask, for instance call toytec and see if their coilover can be adjusted to 1.5", i think coilovers start at 2" lift, but i dont have coilovers so i dont know.
You could do the toytec springs for the front only if you had the factory bilsteins. That alone should level the front.

Fox also have a factory lift coilover, that i think would give you what you want and can be adjusted later on. Call them to find out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's a good question, you could call one of the vendors and ask, for instance call toytec and see if their coilover can be adjusted to 1.5", i think coilovers start at 2" lift, but i dont have coilovers so i dont know.
You could do the toytec springs for the front only if you had the factory bilsteins. That alone should level the front.

Fox also have a factory lift coilover, that i think would give you what you want and can be adjusted later on. Call them to find out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Just from checking Toytec's site it looks like they have exactly that:

https://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/Adjustable-Front-Coil-Over-Kit-for-Bilstein-Shocks-2010_p_977.html

I will call them today and make sure though.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
You should be able to go from 0" to 2.5" or up to perhaps 3" with any adjustable coil over.

x2 ... I have Toytec adjustable coilvers on my truck ... no issues, so far ... adjustables are probably best bet for your short term needs and a step to a 3" lift later ...
:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So just to update everyone. I ended up talking to Kevin at Toytec, who also owns an FJ, and he informed me that I can achieve pretty much an exact level with their Toytec springs in the front. From everywhere I've read 1.5" is generally what the front needs to be level with the back, and the Toytec springs provide 1.6" lift in the front over stock. After they settle they should be pretty much spot on. And the best part is, they're actually about $50 cheaper than the Bilstein 5100s, and should offer a better ride over the 5100s with OEM springs. So it's a win win.

Now I just wish I'd have known this back in January when I first tried to order the 5100s :(. Oh well, live and learn.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Excellent, so they go from 1" to 3", there you go.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My research into this same issue is that you may have problems with alignment after installing leveling components(1.5" front lift) that may require the replacement of upper control arms to correct. I haven't been able to get a definite answer one way or another but if that's the case it makes leveling look much less desirable.

·
Premium Member
4,564 Posts
My research into this same issue is that you may have problems with alignment after installing leveling components(1.5" front lift) that may require the replacement of upper control arms to correct. I haven't been able to get a definite answer one way or another but if that's the case it makes leveling look much less desirable.
With an inch and a half lift? Naw, stock will align fine. You go with a 2.5" to 3" coil over lift and then you should seriously consider aftermarket upper control arms, if for nothing else than to gain more positive caster in an effort to avoid a body mount chop because people who lift generally increase tire size (285+), but most people seem to end up doing one anyway (depending on tire size and make, of course). Plus, with the additional caster, you'll get a tighter ride on the highway.

Fitting 285 Tires with LR UCAs (Adjusting Caster) - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
So just to update everyone. I ended up talking to Kevin at Toytec, who also owns an FJ, and he informed me that I can achieve pretty much an exact level with their Toytec springs in the front. From everywhere I've read 1.5" is generally what the front needs to be level with the back, and the Toytec springs provide 1.6" lift in the front over stock. After they settle they should be pretty much spot on. And the best part is, they're actually about $50 cheaper than the Bilstein 5100s, and should offer a better ride over the 5100s with OEM springs. So it's a win win.

Now I just wish I'd have known this back in January when I first tried to order the 5100s :(. Oh well, live and learn.
perfect ... its a good product and they're good people to deal with ... :clap:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts