Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When 4x4'ing or camping, sometimes we end up in some really remote and undiscovered spots. What is the weirdest thing you've ever found while back in the woods?

I've found several house foundations, caves, old mines, etc... Once I found a picnic table sitting in the middle of nowhere National Forest... haha

Probably the weridest thing I ever found was the shape of a large rectangle in the ground, like a large footlocker or small coffin was burried there. Where the edges of the box was, you could see that the dirt had sunk in a bit like something was burried there for sure. I didn't have a shovel with me, so I figured I'd come back to dig it up another trip -- but that was a couple years ago. Burried treasure? A body? Who knows...

Let's hear your stories!

- Hakrjak :clap:

·
Registered
276 Posts
when I was 10 my neighborhood friends and I jumped on our bikes and headed into the woods like the Movie Stand By Me , only to show me a huge dildo.

LOL weird right.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
My buddy taking a crap next to a 6 foot rattle snake, Haunts me to this day but I shot it and ate it that night. I still remember the white meat of the snake moving in the iron pan as it was being cooked:)

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
Years ago while out dirt biking in the middle of no where bush country, we found a big ol' pot belly stove. Nothing else around that could even give you a clue as to why or how it got there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Pre-FJ I was out on my ATV and in the middle of a trail that would challenge most 4x4s there was a early 90's Chrysler Town and Country minivan. It was well used but didn't look as if it had actually driven to where it was at.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
I was way off the beaten path and looking for a peaceful place to take a load off my mind...I dropped my drawers to drop my load and almost stepped into a massive load!!! I swear It was Human but it may have been Bear chit...Who knows...I went way out of my way to chit... almost crap myself to find another place...

·
Registered
678 Posts
i always like finding old places like houses and docks in the woods, a couple years back stumbled across a body in a popular spot for people in the area to wheel,
also came across a pig and some cats that had been gutted and strung up on crosses and a bunch of satin type drawings in blood on plywood that was weird, i found another place to pee that day

·
Registered
223 Posts
Found a dead body in a river.

Also while on a hiking trip 4 days in the bush a few friends and I went looking for a lake that is on top of a mountain, we spent two days looking for it and on our way up to a ridge we found a two piece womans bathing suit. This was weird because; there is snow that high up all year round, the bathing suit itself was frozen; it was in a grizzlies back yard; and not even close to that damn lake.

Anyways heres a pic of the lake to lighten the mood, one more weird thing to find at the summit of a mountain.

Ok, not a the very top but I don't do rock climbing

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Anyways heres a pic of the lake to lighten the mood, one more weird thing to find at the summit of a mountain.

[/URL]

Ok, not a the very top but I don't do rock climbing
Beautiful lake. Reminds me of Emerald Lake.

I found a pair of boots before. Made me wonder why it was there and if there's more to the story.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Growin Up in the mountains of WVa you tend to find All sorts of wierd stuff depending on were you venture. Old coal mine towns, Cemeteries out in the middle of nowhere miles from anywhere! Found a subdivision Complete with a few unfinshed homes in BFE, that looked like they had been there since the 40's. Found a few 30's ara cars so far out in the woods and up the mountain.. to this day I cant figure out how they got there!!! My KX250 barely got there...:lol: Even ran across a few Civial war trinkets.

·
Registered
297 Posts
When I was a young teen, I used to spend weekends at a friends house way out in the middle of nowhere. His 1770's era house was on the edge of miles of wooded high hills. We would grab a rifle, pack a lunch and hike for miles. One day we were miles into the woods and came across an old 1940's Plymouth on its side. It was intact, other than the fact that it had a tree growing up inside the cab through the pass/driver side windows. We didn't see any obvious way this old car could have made it up the mountain that deep into the woods. So we hung out a while and carved our initials into the fender of the car. Years and years later while my friend was enlisted into the Marines, I was talking to his dad at the their house and mentioned having found that car. He said he had also found the car years after we did and wondered the same thing, how in the world it got there and up on its side. But he also said he saw what he thought might be our initials in the fender. So he had taken out his 357 and shot around the carving. Then he reached into the desk drawer and pulled out a hunk of old rusty fender metal with our initials carved in it! Very cool.

Another time we were hiking miles out into the forest and we heard a loud roar coming through the trees towards us. We looked at each other, saying what the hell is that??? We raised our guns and loaded a round into the chamber, look in the direction of the ever increasingly loud roar. Way off in the distance we could see something like mist coming through the trees towards us, fast. Remembering it today it was almost like a pyroclastic flow from a volcano. Then at that moment we realized it was a wall of rain coming fast. We put the guns down and in the next few seconds we raced around grabbing as much dry dead wood and tinder as we could find and stuffed it under our jackets. Then it cut loose like a monsoon. Getting drenched in 45 degree weather we built a teepee shaped fire and covered the top of it with several sheets of newspaper that we had brought along. We got a fire going and with the rain coming down so hard, the newspaper didn't burn and kept the fire from getting snuffed out. We stayed sucking up some heat for a short while with several sheets of newspaper over our heads, hoping the rain would back off. But it didn't and we hiked out completely drenched. Ah the memories.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Found a body in a river when I was about 8 (I don't think I've ever run that fast home again). Found plenty of old houses, barns, cemeteries, etc. Probably the coolest was an old moonshine still.

·
Registered
273 Posts
A Sherman tank. I fell over it still in its BP burred in moss and dead fall in a wood in north Germany where it had been abandons during WWII by the British. While it was being removed a few weeks later a half dozen anti tank mines where also found burred around it. Lucky for me I never tripped them while investigating the wreck.

·
Registered
583 Posts
When I was 13, we used to run around the forest preserve across the street from my house. We'd climb trees, share stolen cigarettes, and just be boys.

One day, near our favorite tree, we came across a bundle approximately 12"X9"x15" triple wrapped in black garbage bags. My three friends and I swore to each other that we'd share the contents 4-ways...thinking it's cash.

We opened it up to find a stack of nudey magazines knee high. They weren't tasteful Playboys either. These were the real dirty kind. To a 13 year old boy, these had more value than cash. :rofl:

·
Registered
792 Posts
A couple of dudes that looked like Billy Goats with HUGE 44 hoglegs by their side guarding something that smelled like heavy duty chemicals--assume it was a meth lab? I din't inquire further--just kept goin' up the trail~!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts