Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While performing an inspection of my water pump I noticed what appears to be a crack in my frame.

Couple things to note:

1. This is just in front of the front cross member on the driver side, just behind the sway bar.

2. The area is not magnetic with makes me wonder if it was a previous patch (the FJ was tipped on it's side in 2007). However, the opposite side frame rail is not magnetic in the same area either. The magnet barely sticks there and slides down on its own. So, is this some sort of crack in a commercial adhesive from the factory or is it some patch/ hack job that someone did previously that has finally cracked? The cracked area looks like Duraglass or some other filler.

3. There are no other cracks in the frame and both motor mounts are fine.

The image below is looking up at the frame on the driver side. The square block under the frame is a sway bar spacer. Note the same non magnetic material is on top of the cross beam and makes that sharp point seen on the cross beam.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Don't see rust, good thing. Don't see much, bad thing. You are going to have to get in there and get rid of everything and get to shinny metal to see what you really have going on.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As a follow up, it was indeed a filler. I’m not sure why they even put filler there. My guess is they pulled the frame straight, welded a small crack at the crumple zone and then put a thin coat of filler over it.

I’m not worried about it. It took 12 years of some hard abuse for the filler to crack. I just repainted the metal and called it good.

Reactions: SenseiSmash

·
Registered
213 Posts
That would scare the Covid-19 right out of me

1 - 5 of 5 Posts