Votes: 16 12.8%
  • Front Long Travel

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • Solid Axle Swap

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

Premium Member
Anyone running 2.5s with resis in front and rear have any feedback on desert running? Want to know what kinds of speeds your achieving with just those upgrades over stock.
Just happened to do a long, go fast, run with 3 FJs and a couple of Raptors from Yucca Valley to Laughlin on dirt (and a totally awesome custom Willys truck on x-beam with mustang power unit).

Spoiler, Raptors are stupid fast. If you want to go fast desert, get a Raptor.

We had fun, Raptors would zoom ahead and wait for us. One FJ w/stock suspension, one Icons no resis, one with Kings w/resis.

Without naming names the stock suspension did some slamming and cut two tires in the front. I was sweeping the rear, 30 secs behind, no resis Icons with some fading and the front were so hot you couldn't keep your hand on them. The Kings w/resis were hot, but you could hold them and no fading issues reported.

This was after hours of solid desert running, I'm surprised my Icons didn't blow a leak.

One of the trucks overheated it's transmission and went into limp mode.

As far as top speeds there are too many variables, width of trail, tire tread, obstacles on surface, boldness/ignorance...

The greatest difference is how hard and long you can go until fading sets in, resis will go much further if your moving for longer runs. Usually I don't push so hard on trails and have no issues. FJs have a short wheel base which is no friend of speed, and if your about speed, cage it.

When guys talk about 80MPH+ speeds with no cage it's embarrassing (that Willys was caged-just 2WD awesome).

Registered
The good news is that you will be able to afford it in no time with your degree, just take it easy on the girlfriends and beer in the meantime. :rofl:
No time is still a few years off, and as a millennial (I think??) I demand instant gratification!!!:jester::jester:

I can't wait to see what happens to your FJ now that you made it through college.

Registered
Just happened to do a long, go fast, run with 3 FJs and a couple of Raptors from Yucca Valley to Laughlin on dirt (and a totally awesome custom Willys truck on x-beam with mustang power unit).

We had fun, Raptors would zoom ahead and wait for us. One FJ w/stock suspension, one Icons no resis, one with Kings w/resis.

Without naming names the stock suspension did some slamming and cut two tires in the front. I was sweeping the rear, 30 secs behind, no resis Icons with some fading and the front were so hot you couldn't keep your hand on them. The Kings w/resis were hot, but you could hold them and no fading issues reported.

This was after hours of solid desert running, I'm surprised my Icons didn't blow a leak.

One of the trucks overheated it's transmission and went into limp mode.

As far as top speeds there are too many variables, width of trail, tire tread, obstacles on surface, boldness/ignorance...

The greatest difference is how hard and long you can go until fading sets in, resis will go much further if your moving for longer runs. Usually I don't push so hard on trails and have no issues. FJs have a short wheel base which is no friend of speed, and if your about speed, cage it.

When guys talk about 80MPH+ speeds with no cage it's embarrassing (that Willys was caged-just 2WD awesome).
This was the best response possible. Thanks for the info it answers all my questions perfectly.

Trying to decide if adding resivoirs to my icon coilovers and buying matching rears is worth it or not. From what your saying I think would be for what I'm tying to achieve. Thanks again!

Registered
This was the best response possible. Thanks for the info it answers all my questions perfectly.

Trying to decide if adding resivoirs to my icon coilovers and buying matching rears is worth it or not. From what your saying I think would be for what I'm tying to achieve. Thanks again!
IMHO, I think that would be the ticket.... If you decide to do that, may I suggest getting the CDCV's. You can adjust the dampening to the kind of driving you plan on doing. It amazes me how much of a change in the ride 1 click on the adjuster makes. I also recommend that you put 2.5 remote reservoir CDCV shocks on the rear. Before you put remote reservoirs on the rear, be sure the tires will clear the reservoirs when the wheel is stuffed into the wheel well...

Good Luck!

Registered
IMHO, I think that would be the ticket.... If you decide to do that, may I suggest getting the CDCV's. You can adjust the dampening to the kind of driving you plan on doing. It amazes me how much of a change in the ride 1 click on the adjuster makes. I also recommend that you put 2.5 remote reservoir CDCV shocks on the rear. Before you put remote reservoirs on the rear, be sure the tires will clear the reservoirs when the wheel is stuffed into the wheel well...

Good Luck!
Depends on if the CDCV can be added after the fact with the resivoirs. I have an old pair of Donahoe Racing coil overs I'm planning to get the resivoirs added onto so I can save some money.

Registered
Raptors have smooth internal bypass shocks right? Desert running and jumps must be no problem. I'm not surprised, plus the 450 hp doesn't slow them down one bit. It makes me want to go long travel and charge the motor

Registered
Running Roigh Country 6" lift with Radflo 2.5" coil overs up front and 2" Radflo's in the back. Coils up front are heavy rated for winch and bumper. Love the setup so far!

Registered
Toytec Boss 2.0
Rokmen rear links, panhard
SPC UCA
Front sway bar got lost during the upgrade, lol.

Attachments

Registered
In the front, Im running Icon Extended travel 2.5 with reservoirs Icon tubular uca's , Total Chaos spindle gussets, Sway bar disconnects by Mstudt

In the rear , I'm running Icon Extended travel 2.5 with reservoirs , Metal tech long travel springs, Icon billet upper and lower links and no rear sway bar.

Attachments

Registered
Total Chaos UCAs with Toytec Utimate adjustable and heavy duty coil overs up front.

In rear, Bilstein 5100 extended travel with a 1" spacer. Planning on ditching the spacer and putting heavy duty Springs on rear, if/when i mount a bumper with a tire swing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 35 of 35 Posts