Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I thought I was in need of replacing one or more wheel bearing as I have noise on the freeway. But I jacked the front and checked the tires by moving them from the 12 and 6 and I felt no wiggle. Would it be a significant movement if the wheel bearing is going bad? Next I think well maybe its my rotors as I know they are warped. I can feel it when I brake. Could that cause noise at interstate speeds? Just curious.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Jacking up the FJ and torquing the wheel as you describe is one test but if you spin the wheel while jacked up you can feel the wheel is not rotating smoothly when spinning it by hand, it will also have a low growl near the hub. I had no play when my bearing went by doing the 12 - 6 but I did have rumble.

Reactions: WaJohnZ

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Warped Rotors, if you do have them will have no effect on noise and should only be noticeable when the brakes are applied with light to medium pedal pressure. tires our bearings are your most likely problem.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the information guys. I will try the tire rotation method to check the wheel bearings. I definitely have warped rotors. I have noticed that for some time now. Those will need replaced for sure. I will most likely just replace the front wheel bearings as well since I will be half way there anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts