Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to do a full brake job on my 2007 4WD FJ, and since I'm already going to have so much apart, I think that replacing the wheel bearings at all 4 corners would just be a good idea. The originals are still in place at 217k so I'll chalk it up to preventative maintenance.

I see offerings from DuraGo, Beck/Arnley, SKF, Centric, Moog, etc. Are there any brands that I should prefer over others or outright avoid? Hoping to learn from other's experience before pulling the trigger since I don't want to do this again until the truck has 434k on the odometer.

Ed

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,759 Posts
I used OE for rear, and Midstates Offroad sells excellent pre-pressed bearings for front. I waited till I heard the telltale sounds...is not that deep a dig to reach them.

·
Premium Member
1,980 Posts
If you plan on doing the backs, you are entering a world of hurt... Backs are a &^%$^& pain in the a** to do. I gave up and took mine to the dealer to have them done there,it requires you pulling the whole axle, back plate, and need a "special" tool ( long tube )to be able to presse it out and in. Fronts are straight forward, no big deal.

·
Registered
409 Posts
If you plan on doing the backs, you are entering a world of hurt... Backs are a &^%$^& pain in the a** to do. I gave up and took mine to the dealer to have them done there,it requires you pulling the whole axle, back plate, and need a "special" tool ( long tube )to be able to presse it out and in. Fronts are straight forward, no big deal.
I agree on the rear!!

I would wait, because the bearings will most definitely speak to you when they are going out. Mine was a slight roaring noise, sort of like tires singing. It got more pronounced, so I jacked up the wheel and wiggled it. There was a little play on one front and a lot on the other. I got the pre-pressed bearings and did the front in an afternoon.

This last set I let the shop do - they wore out in 150k miles, but there was a LOT of muddy oilfield roads and getting stuck, etc. in those years...

I was tempted to do the rear, until I got the estimate back from my local guy - $1500 P&L The I read here about what a PITA it was, so I'm letting my ears tell me when to do the rear too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ordered the fronts from Mid States Off Road, thanks.

Fixed the rattle from the Warrior Products corner armor plates (they contacted the Warrior Products bumper slightly) and the interior is much quieter. Tires do make noise, and there is a sound in the back at very low speeds that sounds a lot like tire noise.

I'll check to see if there is any wiggle to the wheels when I get back from SEMA.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts